There were no "Good old days". SC Changes (often and drastically)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL you know what really "ruined" SC? E-sports.

3D Games last a year at best nowadays cause people only play for the hype and big cash. When that shine inevitably wears off, they lose their only reason for playing and move on claiming it's a "stale" or "dead" game/community. Unless you play 2D capcom fighters, you shouldn't even have this as a priority imo.

Tekken is a very boring game....

EDIT: I should be more specific in my opinions. I personally think that tekken is boring because of past experiences. Personally i like change. i like seeing players adapt to new challenges. of course in terms of marketing players will not commit as much or just not play because in terms of experience everyone will have a fresh start, but if you like new games and seeing players challenge themselves then people who observe this will want to get into the game more and therefore in terms of, the surface of marketing, it is an advantage.

SCV is an excellent example of this, which is why i think the community is the reason.

people want to see the impossible and that is common. For example, viola being broken is the common perspective of most casual players and spectators.... honestly i would use that to my advantage by beating a viola player to trigger hype, or the opposite could happen which is viola being popular because apparently she is newcomer freindly, and this just benefits the community because we will find more anti-viola tactics and improve in terms of vs viola... that is if more newcomers use her, and honestly i think TTT2 will die fast because well SCV looks more fun from just looking at it, and also all the drama on here and nice, talented people are interesting too.

Of course someone who was mainly an SC vetran would think the opposite....(videogame culture??) either way, if it's productive,..... we have an advantage in both cases.

If I posted an in depth major change log since Tekken 3, the only one of any real note would be TTT to T4, then undo all those changes for T4 to T5. Tekken is nothing if consistent. Whether that is good or bad is up to taste. I tend to err on the side of it being "safe and lazy".

LOL you know what really "ruined" SC? E-sports.

3D Games last a year at best nowadays cause people only play for the hype and big cash. When that shine inevitably wears off, they lose their only reason for playing and move on claiming it's a "stale" or "dead" game/community. Unless you play 2D capcom fighters, you shouldn't even have this as a priority imo.
I'd have to respectfully disagree here. For Calibur anyway. Because money was getting thrown around lavishly for this game for months but still after the first 2 or 3 after this game came out no one was showing up. There were plent of reasons why numbers dropped for this game in my opinion that I won't get into here but a lack of money? Nah that wasn't it.

Point the blame first at online, then the people who don't go anywhere and do nothing but whine all day. But people stopping coming out even before it was announced that this game would be in eSports.

But there's also nothing stopping people from coming back and actually coming out to something. It's not like these newer games are any better. Just more of the same or worse.

Point the blame first at online, then the people who don't go anywhere and do nothing but whine all day. But people stopping coming out even before it was announced that this game would be in eSports.

But there's also nothing stopping people from coming back and actually coming out to something. It's not like these newer games are any better. Just more of the same or worse.

I agree, but those who left don't see it that way because the hype blinds them to it, lol. I like Tekken as a series, and I'm impressed by what I've seen of TTT2 so far. Looks fun. But I'm doubting it gets the longevity it may or may not deserve for the same reasons. DOA5 same deal.

I'd have to respectfully disagree here. For Calibur anyway. Because money was getting thrown around lavishly for this game for months but still after the first 2 or 3 after this game came out no one was showing up. There were plent of reasons why numbers dropped for this game in my opinion that I won't get into here but a lack of money? Nah that wasn't it.

Fair point, and you could even be right. I'm just looking at this game compared to even SCIV where, people were still doing okay with it at least 2 years in. FSAK (the tournament that was supposed to be the last hurrah) was held 2 years after the game came out. Now with MLG days ending and EVO over, people are already treating this year's NEC with the same kind of last hurrah feel when this game only came out in January? imo, there's gotta be something wrong with that mentality.

Sure, newer games will always have an effect, but I just think a lot of games aren't appreciated as much as they could be due to the motivation behind playing and going to tournaments.

Tekken is a very boring game....

EDIT: I should be more specific in my opinions. I personally think that tekken is boring because of past experiences. Personally i like change. i like seeing players adapt to new challenges. of course in terms of marketing players will not commit as much or just not play because in terms of experience everyone will have a fresh start, but if you like new games and seeing players challenge themselves then people who observe this will want to get into the game more and therefore in terms of, the surface of marketing, it is an advantage.

SCV is an excellent example of this, which is why i think the community is the reason.

people want to see the impossible and that is common. For example, viola being broken is the common perspective of most casual players and spectators.... honestly i would use that to my advantage by beating a viola player to trigger hype, or the opposite could happen which is viola being popular because apparently she is newcomer freindly, and this just benefits the community because we will find more anti-viola tactics and improve in terms of vs viola... that is if more newcomers use her, and honestly i think TTT2 will die fast because well SCV looks more fun from just looking at it, and also all the drama on here and the nice, talented people are interesting too.

Of course soemone who was mainly an SC vetran would think the opposite....(videogame culture??) either way, if it's productive,..... we have an advantage in both cases.
repost.....

Fair point, and you could even be right. I'm just looking at this game compared to even SCIV where, people were still doing okay with it at least 2 years in. FSAK (the tournament that was supposed to be the last hurrah) was held 2 years after the game came out. Now with MLG days ending and EVO over, people are already treating this year's NEC with the same kind of last hurrah feel when this game only came out in January? imo, there's gotta be something wrong with that mentality.

It seems like the high amount of new games coming out could have something to do with this. Nowadays it's really easy for people to move on to the next new game once they become even mildly tired of an "old" game.

It seems like the high amount of new games coming out could have something to do with this. Nowadays it's really easy for people to move on to the next new game once they become even mildly tired of an "old" game.
I kind of see some truth to this. But my way of thinking isn't quite like that. Liek for example, I still replay my favorite PS2 & even PS1 games at least once every year. The games are old but to me, I don't mind replaying my favorite old games. And with the new gen games (PS3 era), I would still play the games even if months passed and they were considered old.

Did Soul Calibur 5 really introduce anything that evolved from another mechanic from the last game? To me they didn't bother but just took a gamble that strays from the development tree. Or did it just add gimmicky elements from other fighters to give the game attention this time? Personally I thought SC's original gameplay was better; it was at least consistant. (needed balance but thats just it) SCV tried to reinvent the series at a time where it didn't need to be. It seems so to me. I don't think its pure nostalgic to say the past games were better then this installment with reasons given. Production was drastically different with SCV and that may have been for the worse to some people. I think SC5's gameplay was too gimmicky. Brave edges work but Critical Edges kind of kill it for me. The "classic" gameplay of the past games is what made SC identifiable at least, thats why people like their "good-ole prequels." it WAS SC. Right now we're dripping into Street Calibur and thats why I dont think you can compare it too the past because its nothing like it, for better or for worse.

Couldn´t have said it better.

They should remove!! CE´s in SCVI and if anything only keep brave edges(but i would rather see a new SC without both mechanics) ´Cause I don´t play SF...

They should remove!! CE´s in SCVI and if anything only keep brave edges(but i would rather see a new SC without both mechanics) ´Cause I don´t play SF...
And you saying "you don't play it" means that it should be removed? Not the best reason.

The feature being "gimmicky" isn't the best reason either. In fact, that is the worst because Soul Calibur has always been gimmicky. The guest characters are proof of that. The only game I would say that it isn't gimmicky is Soul Blade, because that was their first installment, released when everything about fighting games in gameplay was not established yet.

Here's my last observation. I also blame the players who want to go back to the same old game even though the old games were boring as fuck, which is why you hear the things like "wanting SC to go back to being SC" or "going back to the good old days" even though SC has gone through drastic change throughout each game.

Then I see people I never heard of saying that the changes to SCV are gimmicky and want the game to go backwards when even less people seriously played the previous games. I think certain things could use some refinement, but I don't want to see the removal of elements that make the game exciting to watch.

Plus there's nothing stopping anyone from just going back and relive the "good old days" besides the fact that no one really wants to seriously go back to these old games.

I want to keep going forward, not backwards. I hope something happens with SCV once the attention is off TTT2, especially now that the game is popular in Japan, and because these other games that are out suck ass. Whatever happens, I just want to have fun playing SC instead of seeing constant walls of bitching and negativity.

Exactly how popular is SCV in Japan? I haven't been paying much attention to anything lately.

Whatever happens, I just want to have fun playing SC instead of seeing constant walls of bitching and negativity.
I don't think the culture here wants that much introspection. The cynicism is contagious and only a few of us seek some kind of inoculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back