This thread is about FOTD throw and how pro it is.

ProfJamesJoynt

[08] Mercenary
I finally learned how to get FOTD off consistently after 3 games of never being able to do it, and now I can not only do it but can combo it into Asura and it owns.

If you're having trouble with it and didn't read the thread over at Calibur Forum, this is how I do it; I bascially use Mikosu's method of doing 236:A:+:G: 46:A: as fast as possible and then just doing 41236 b repeatedly, and it usually comes out. I do much the same thing with Asura. I find it harder to do from 2P side for whatever reason.

Share your experiences with FOTD, your frustrations and any other tips.

I found that Hayate's method of 2364~A+G, 6A just didn't work consistantly for me for some reason.

I can do it both ways consistently on either side, when I don't delay the throw.
However, when I delay it or ended up in Mo through 2[B+K], I found it easier to do it Hayate's way, because it is faster to input 4A+G, 6A than A+G 46A.

One note about the timing though:

You already figured out that the 46A part has to be done as fast as possible. After that just relaxx and either wait a moment for the 41236B or do it slowly. I think you do it too early, that's why your first input doesn't count and you have to repeat it.

Being able to do it is one thing, but how do you set it up in a fight?

I sometimes use it after a 2A on hit, when the opponent expects a wrB and guards.
My second setup is a bit risky:

11B -> 2[B+K] is a combo and if your opponent has a habit to just press guard whatever hit him, just follow it up with a delayed FOTD, while he gets up.
On some stages (e.g. star wars), you can ring out right from the beginning, if you open up the match like this.

You say the :4::6::A: has to be as fast as possible, and I agree.

I think to be more specific though, it has to be done before the :A:+:G: grab connects. Does anyone know how many frames that is exactly? All I know is that it's not very many at all. Once we know that, we'll know exactly how many frames we have to :4::6::A:, because I know it can be troublesome to just press it as fast as you can and hope for the best.

Sorry, I just found out that :4::6::A: doesn't have to be done before the :A:+:G: grab connects, but within 10 frames after :A:+:G: is pressed.

So then, the "window" of time for :4::6::A: is around 10 frames (I think. If anyone can validate, go ahead).

I really don't know why they made this move so difficult.

I guess because it offers great damage and has insane ring out range. I'm actually glad that not every kilik scrub can whore this move online.

Yeah I found that relaxing and doing the motion slower works too. Thanks for that tip. I tried to teach a friend online this but he coudn't get it sadly. Also the delay with 4 bar ping didn't help much.

Sorry, I just found out that :4::6::A: doesn't have to be done before the :A:+:G: grab connects, but within 10 frames after :A:+:G: is pressed.

So then, the "window" of time for :4::6::A: is around 10 frames (I think. If anyone can validate, go ahead).

I really don't know why they made this move so difficult.

75 damage throw that rings out from MARS?!?!

and it really isnt THAT hard to do. 236A+G, 46A is the only 'hard' part
hell, i have more trouble getting the quick version of the throw instead of the MO then A+G version than pulling off the second part.

I can get it consistently now, I just do the 236A+G then put in the 46A as soon as I finish putting the last command, as if both are necessary to just get the initial part of the throw.

75 damage throw that rings out from MARS?!?!

and it really isnt THAT hard to do. 236A+G, 46A is the only 'hard' part
hell, i have more trouble getting the quick version of the throw instead of the MO then A+G version than pulling off the second part.

hahaha yea it does ring out well, but...

75 damage?!?!

I'm pretty sure it's 30... which is just too low, IMO

Awww. You makin' me feel all special mudah.swf. But yea they've tightened up on a lot of things this time around giving some level of skill to them (ask any Ivy player includng me). Nothing's better than finger gymnastics in a game where pressure can be off the charts high.

You guys are confusing the A and B throws. Sorry I don't refer to them by name lol. The B throw has low damage for that very reason. It's a positioning throw. Reverse ringout ahoy!

Yea that's fine, it's not the difficulty that I think is a pain, it's the low reward.

The :A:+:G: FotD throw does 30 damage, and the :B:+:G: FotD throw does 50 damage.

Why isn't it the other way around? Couldn't tell you. So, since the B throw does more damage and the A throw is more difficult, the only reason to do the A throw would be for the mix-up and the launch. Eh.

Yea that's fine, it's not the difficulty that I think is a pain, it's the low reward.

The :A:+:G: FotD throw does 30 damage, and the :B:+:G: FotD throw does 50 damage.

Why isn't it the other way around? Couldn't tell you. So, since the B throw does more damage and the A throw is more difficult, the only reason to do the A throw would be for the mix-up and the launch. Eh.

yeah, the FotD A only does 30, but it guarantees Asura Dance as a juggle, which takes the damage up to 75 and rings out to the right from so far, your jaw will drop

Can someone check if FotD launches high enough to guarantee Yin and Yang (:(4)::aB:)? If so, does it do more damage than the FotD into Asura?

I would check, but I don't have my PS3 up here...

Can someone check if FotD launches high enough to guarantee Yin and Yang (:(4)::aB:)? If so, does it do more damage than the FotD into Asura?

I would check, but I don't have my PS3 up here...

No. it used to be hard to avoid in 3, but now its a very simple evade.

IIRC, if they tech backwards or to Kilik's right, it avoids the 44aB... Not sure about Just Ukemi as I don't have the timing for that down.

@Tag:

Dag!
That combo's so sweet! Although whenever I try to do the first part of it,which is the grab, it seems like I toss my player a bit further away from me,which makes :4::6::A: not reach...Am I doing something wrong? x_X;

Back