Fall Out Boy
Daft Punk
Lady Gaga
Linkin Park
Vampire Weekend
Death Cab for Cutie
Arctic Monkeys
Deadmau5

I could go on but i dont see the point. Look up these guys and tell me they are not talented. I dont care if you dont like their music, but you cannot deny the talent.
I never said I disliked todays music. In fact I was implying the opposite.

I only chose that song because the GMV was really well done.
This is my favourite DMC theme of all time: Should have been for Dante vs Nightmare / Night Terror.

I usually hate when people express their thought about some of these un-talented rappers. Even though I debate about rap I learn that everyone has their own taste and I have to reapect it. Today's rap is pure garbage in my opinion, but someone just might find it entertaining. We all have our opinions.

I only chose that song because the GMV was really well done.
This is my favourite DMC theme of all time: Should have been for Dante vs Nightmare / Night Terror.

is this a remix or something? never really payed attention to "sworn through swords" so i never noticed the lyrics as well

Speaking of that, I thought about you the other day when I heard JLo's Get Right. I was trying to tell someone that the saxophone sample was ripped off from something. I couldn't remember what it was from and no one believed me. :)

next time they say somethin, shove this in their face and say hold that.

points to anyone who can identify other songs that use this sample.. i can think of two... besides the Jlo's beat.

TBH Lady Gaga CAN sing. I dont understand her hate outside of prejudice.
She runs her voice through the box, like most people these days. Therefore, while shemay have talent, she has no pressure t actually use it.

I need to comment on some stuff people posted earlier, I've been too busy to get posting.

She runs her voice through the box, like most people these days. Therefore, while shemay have talent, she has no pressure t actually use it.

I need to comment on some stuff people posted earlier, I've been too busy to get posting.
thats like complaining because as technology progresses peoples jobs are getting easier.

She may do that for the recording but her live performances are 100% non autotuned.

Sounds more like rihanna actually. She used to be talented in 08, now she milking her aftermath of provoking CB. A dasterdly scheme of ending his carrier and boosting hers as everyone feels sorry for her own mistake.

Not at all. It's the era where "shills" are most successful, and where no one cares about your buddy lasercakes' continuum fingerboard, despite how awesome it is.
Pffft. You only perceive it as such because you're living through it. Since you can probably remember it, think of all the great bands that lived in the shadow of Brittany Spears or The Backstreet Boys. That isn't so different from today. I know that the bands I love will never push Katy Perry style record numbers. I don't see that as indicative of a worsening trend. How many people must have hated Cindy Lauper's catchy tunes while their beloved Pixies toiled in obscurity? It's nothing new.

I thought you were, when you implied that Ladytron sucks...?
I like them actually. So I never implied that. I'm simply pointing out that you didn't seem to have a problem with all of this evil encroaching technology then. Of course it's not a matter of whether I like them or not, even if I don't like a band's sound I don't automatically assume it to be more than my sense of taste. "Look at Katy Perry, she's awful" you say. Well who are you to say she's awful? I don't care for her music but she must have some kind of talent to have clawed her way up from the internet. Nor do I think her arrival heralds an end to all music everywhere.

As for sound and pitch quality, that's neither here nor there. Between the bands experimenting with pitch and sound quality and the fact that shills can be exceptionally polished with all of their studio backing that's a non-argument. Nor do I think perfect pitch precludes from or guarantees someone my appreciation or my respect as a legitimate artist. That's a ridiculous argument. Can't say Tiny Tim was a pitch perfect singer, but he made that work for him.

Bottom line: It's not ideal. But it's not as bad as you imagine it is. You kids with your doom and your gloom...

s
Pffft. You only perceive it as such because you're living through it. Since you can probably remember it, think of all the great bands that lived in the shadow of Brittany Spears or The Backstreet Boys. That isn't so different from today. I know that the bands I love will never push Katy Perry style record numbers. I don't see that as indicative of a worsening trend. How many people must have hated Cindy Lauper's catchy tunes while their beloved Pixies toiled in obscurity? It's nothing new.
It isn't new, and it is becoming much more common, while exceptional talent is less common. The trend certainly became more noticeable with Britney Spears' popularity back in the late 90s. Cyndi Lauper is a bad example. She had a much stronger vocal prowess than the current flagship pop star, Miss Cupcakes and Ice Cream Cones.

I like them actually. So I never implied that. I'm simply pointing out that you didn't seem to have a problem with all of this evil encroaching technology then. Of course it's not a matter of whether I like them or not, even if I don't like a band's sound I don't automatically assume it to be more than my sense of taste. "Look at Katy Perry, she's awful" you say. Well who are you to say she's awful? I don't care for her music but she must have some kind of talent to have clawed her way up from the internet. Nor do I think her arrival heralds an end to all music everywhere.
I never said she was awful, I said she's mediocre and has been given an inappropriate amount of decoration. I like that you are defending her despite the fact that you are unable to pinpoint any redeeming qualities about her music. I'll help you out here: her beats are catchier than genital warts. I own some of them myself and I appreciate them for what they are. My concern is, what happened to the popularity of the Whitney and Michael types? It's annoying to hear people revere the vocal ability of Adele and Lady Gaga when the bar has been set much higher in the past.

On a side note, have you heard Beyonce's new single, "Love On Top"? This song is designed to showcase her vocal range. If it does well it could be a sign that the dance album trend will fade away soon. Props to her for taking a risk with her new album and going against the grain.

As for sound and pitch quality, that's neither here nor there. Between the bands experimenting with pitch and sound quality and the fact that shills can be exceptionally polished with all of their studio backing that's a non-argument. Nor do I think perfect pitch precludes from or guarantees someone my appreciation or my respect as a legitimate artist. That's a ridiculous argument. Can't say Tiny Tim was a pitch perfect singer, but he made that work for him.
Tiny Tim was known for sounding bizarre, or rather, like shit. The difference is that people were willing to admit that back then. (No one is asking for perfection. Just don't pretend like something isn't missing from most of the recent chart toppers.)

It isn't new, and it is becoming much more common, while exceptional talent is less common. The trend certainly became more noticeable with Britney Spears' popularity back in the late 90s. Cyndi Lauper is a bad example. She had a much stronger vocal prowess than the current flagship pop star, Miss Cupcakes and Ice Cream Cones.
Point stands. There were probably plenty of people who didn't like her and complained about the state of music then, as you're doing now.

I like that you are defending her despite the fact that you are unable to pinpoint any redeeming qualities about her music. I'll help you out here: her beats are catchier than genital warts. I own some of them myself and I appreciate them for what they are. My concern is, what happened to the popularity of the Whitney and Michael types?
Two things: The first is that I don't need your help. It isn't a matter of being unable to pinpoint any redeeming qualities. I honestly thought it would be unnecessary and insulting your intelligence to have to state the obvious. But if I'd have known I was being quizzed I would have mentioned it. I assumed I was talking to an adult and thought that if I asked you to think about her positive qualities for yourself, your realization that they exist would mean more than my pointing them out directly, which is what I would do to a child who couldn't be trusted to come to the proper conclusion themselves. This probably grinds my gears because I had it in the first version of my post then edited it out. Then you go right around and tell me like I can't figure it out. I gave you more credit than you're giving me. Fuck, how many years have we been talking, if not face to face. You'd think you'd give me some credit. Whatever. Can't be helped I guess.

Secondly: You've supported the current regime. What makes you think you have any right to complain when you've already sent the message to record companies that this is what you want? You voted with your money and now you're unhappy with the results? As for Whitney and Micheal types, you should be able to figure that out for yourself. Times change. Tastes change. They'll change again. Nothing lasts forever. If I have to run down a list of style changes I will, just don't assume I couldn't pinpoint them if I wanted to. I would like you to ruminate for yourself on this aphorism. Whether popular music comes back around to something you like is a crap shoot but even if it does something you hate is probably right around the bend. No sense getting emotional over it one way or the other.

On a side note, have you heard Beyonce's new single, "Love On Top"? This song is designed to showcase her vocal range. If it does well it could be a sign that the dance album trend will fade away soon. Props to her for taking a risk with her new album and going against the grain.
I don't listen to much of what's in the mainstream. But if you would be happy I think that would be fucking awesome.

Tiny Tim was known for sounding bizarre, or rather, like shit. The difference is that people were willing to admit that back then. (No one is asking for perfection. Just don't pretend like something isn't missing from most of the recent chart toppers.)
I'm not gonna. But don't pretend like they were always perfect. Great artists are rare.

Point stands. There were probably plenty of people who didn't like her and complained about the state of music then, as you're doing now.
Probably. And it has gotten worse since then.

Two things: The first is that I don't need your help. It isn't a matter of being unable to pinpoint any redeeming qualities. I honestly thought it would be unnecessary and insulting your intelligence to have to state the obvious. But if I'd have known I was being quizzed I would have mentioned it. I assumed I was talking to an adult and thought that if I asked you to think about her positive qualities for yourself, your realization that they exist would mean more than my pointing them out directly, which is what I would do to a child who couldn't be trusted to come to the proper conclusion themselves. This probably grinds my gears because I had it in the first version of my post then edited it out. Then you go right around and tell me like I can't figure it out. I gave you more credit than you're giving me. Fuck, how many years have we been talking, if not face to face. You'd think you'd give me some credit. Whatever. Can't be helped I guess.
I'm sorry it upset you that much. I honestly don't believe it's as obvious to most people as you seem to think. My bad for insulting your intelligence... but... you've undermined me several times in this discussion as well, this being my area of expertise, and I'm not about to start whining.

Secondly: You've supported the current regime. What makes you think you have any right to complain when you've already sent the message to record companies that this is what you want? You voted with your money and now you're unhappy with the results?
I didn't pay for that shit. I only support artists who I want to keep around. Everyone else is filler and can find me on BitTorrent.

As for Whitney and Micheal types, you should be able to figure that out for yourself. Times change. Tastes change. They'll change again. Nothing lasts forever. If I have to run down a list of style changes I will, just don't assume I couldn't pinpoint them if I wanted to. I would like you to ruminate for yourself on this aphorism. Whether popular music comes back around to something you like is a crap shoot but even if it does something you hate is probably right around the bend. No sense getting emotional over it one way or the other.
That's what bothers me. Lots of change and not for the better. The early 90s were able to combine dance music with powerful vocals, and it would be amazing if today's musical language was willing to incorporate that as well. Instead we're stuck with auto-tune.

I'm not gonna. But don't pretend like they were always perfect. Great artists are rare.
Agreed, although I never said anyone was perfect, just better.

Damn Wayne's new album is hot garbage. I'm losing faith anything mainstream.
I liked C3, but after that, he fell off... REAL BAD. It's to the point that I can't stand him anymore. I gave him 1 more chance to make it up with C4... My baby cousin can do much better than that.

Back