Trying to Redeem the SCV Newcomers

natsu and pyrrha 2 completely random picks who dont stand out compared to the others in any way.

Who cares about their upbringing or their favorite food?
even tho most of that was just examples the fact is you asked to disprove your ridiculous statements, that you yourself haven't even proven to begin, and believe you me, I can and will go into every...single...minute...detail as to how they're different.

Leixia looks and dresses like her mom, uses her weapon and a very similar fighting style, has the same personality traits
Because she's her daughter

next you're gonna tell me they have similar names lol I'll say that even Leixia has all that, even tho her gameplan is similar to Xianghua's her gameplay itself and just about everything else she inherited from Xianghua they're still different enough to stay fresh all the while keeping the nostalgic elements from her mother.
hell the differences and minute details the movesets and gameplay between the two are somewhat stacked aswell.

if Namco wanted to replace Xianghua so badly, why not replace her with someone different?

do we really need anyone different? Leixia is fine

but they don't really do much of anything. Xianghua and Kilik drove off Inferno while Taki and Sophitia beat Cervantes in their first appearances. What have the newbies done? Leixia and Xiba are on a journey together, and Natsu is looking for her mentor Taki. Does she ever find her? Do Leixia and Xiba find what they're after?

lol you're comparing 3 rookies who are in their mid-teens and in still in training to a holy warrior gifted with a magical weapon that grants her the ability to fight, a fully fledged ninja/demon hunter, a ling sheng-su practitioner who has trained with edgemaster and a member of the imperial guard.
That's like comparing you to someone like RTD or Woahhzz in terms of competitive play.

but since the afformentioned were protagonists in SC titles...lets take a look at what the newbies, Pat and Pyrrha, did in their debut Pyrhha managed to stave off Nightmare's assault single handedly, became the new wielder of Soul Edge and ripped a hole between dimension, Pat eliminated Soul Edge and covered the world in an icy utopia...then travelled back in time because it was the wrong thing to do...and last but not least they both shattered Soul Edge and Soul Calibur at the same time.

when you look at most of the "replacement characters" and their predecessors you can see they're very different from each other besides sharing the same weapon and some of the same moves. Maxi and Li Long, Astaroth and Rock, Xianghua and Hwang, Yoshimitsu and Mitsurugu, Seung Mina and Kilik, Edgemaster and Charade, etc. Leixia, Xiba and Natsu on the other hand are very similar to their predecessors in weapon, fighting style and appearance, and their stories are shallow and lacking substance

hahahahahahaha you clearly don't know or have played the games enough if you're just gonna say that...as for story...the story's shit and its only been one fking game, let em flesh out and see where it goes.

As for Patroklos, I expect the main character of any story to at least have SOME redeeming qualities, or to be someone I can root for at least a little bit even if they wind up doing some bad things. Pat has nothing though. He is a villain in every way, from the things he does to the way he acts. Calling him a protagonist and not a hero doesn't change that

you expected these things? well that's just too fking bad...and if you pay attention and play the game you see he does make an attempt to redeem himself and right his wrong deeds, travelling back in time freeing his sister of Soul Edges hold over her and comes to accept her malfestation and all, only problem is that it's rushed and just forced on everyone that the weight of it isn't really there

@subsmoke

How can Xiba, Leixia, and Patroklos be redeemed?

It ain't rocket science to answer, just cut to the chase.

Example
If I wanted Natsu to be redeemed, just stray away from the Naruto genderbend and expand upon her personality. Like instead of the same Taki copy paste attacks, add a little Natsu-esque touch to them.

Like how Pyrrha attacks are more afraid looking than her mom, put some attitude with Natsu. Costume wise, ditch the spandex and expand upon her 2p costume. Personality is fine because teenagers need time to grow up.

There you go. A simple elaboration and research.

Although Natsu's personality is different, she is an expy of Naruto on the grounds of having a backstory similar to his.

However, I do not see this as a problem as this is not the first time they have done this.

Looking at Siegfried again, he is an expy of Guts from Berserk.
  • Both have wounded eyes.
  • Both wield giant swords. (Requiem even looks like Dragonslayer.)
  • Both have been a part of a band of mercenaries and thieves.
  • Both have clad themselves in demonic armor that have granted them special powers.

It's no opinion, it's the truth. Leixia is a carbon copy of Xianghua, Xiba is Kilik with a food obsession gimmick and Natsu is just a younger and less stoic Taki. They were lazy efforts by Namco to try and replace the old characters without having to do much work. Patroklos and Pyrrha are a little more original but Pat was a sorry excuse for a hero and their alt forms are heavily based on Cassandra and Setsuka.

Overall I think Natsu and Pyrrha are okay and wouldn't mind them coming back. I'd ditch Cassandra for Pyrrha and use both Taki and Natsu and branch their styles out so they're not so similar to each other. I never want to see the other three again though.
Have to agree

Although Natsu's personality is different, she is an expy of Naruto on the grounds of having a backstory similar to his.

However, I do not see this as a problem as this is not the first time they have done this.

Looking at Siegfried again, he is an expy of Guts from Berserk.
  • Both have wounded eyes.
  • Both wield giant swords. (Requiem even looks like Dragonslayer.)
  • Both have been a part of a band of mercenaries and thieves.
  • Both have clad themselves in demonic armor that have granted them special powers.

Very True :)

Setsuka = Lady Snowblood

So you know I feel about Setsuka. Lady Snowblood is one my favorite movies.

I wont even respond to all that cancer in there. Just gonna point a out a vew things.
Nightmare replaced by stone golem how the fuck is that even an argument. You cant compare a single fu ckin replacement to something as essential as that thats a completely pointless response right there.
Leixia being similar to xiang. Youwant similar and worthy replacements but oh wait thats leixia hmm gotta find another reason to call her awful.
Pat doesnt replace shit he is a completely new character with a new moveset and so is pyrrha even though she shares similarities and even if you wanna call her a replacements its still a good one.
If people like you would stop bitching about every little detail and finally play the game we wouldnt have any problems here but that would be way to easy wouldnt it ? Gotta find reasons to talk shit about everything even if there arent any.

And of course i think sc is a better game than most other fighting games out there thats the main reason why we´re here.
How was what I posted cancer I was literally trying to point out why these successors had problems or whether or not what I thought you said about them made sense. That isn't an attack on you by the way I was just trying to see your perspective on these characters and I stated if I had any problems with that and I'm sorry if I myself came off as hostile in any of these little engagements or I insulted you I apologise if that happened.

I think that you believe that I absolutely hate these successors I don't rather I was disappointed with them with them. I don't feel these successors were the best that could be offered to us especially after the entire SC5 getting rushed and everything else in the game getting chopped into little pieces.

The reason I used the Knightmare being replaced by a stone golem example is because you previously said the replacements don't matter as long as the fighting style is in the game. I'm afraid it does when someone is getting a replacement they deserve an amazing replacement the best we could ask for. If that where to actually I feel it would be completely disrespectful to Knightmare because he deserves much better then to replaced by Project Souls scrapped character list or whatever other and it would feel lazy from Project Souls part.

The reason I talked about Leixia like that is because she feels like if the game was probably in a complete state we probably would of seen how much different while at the same time similar she could have been from her mother it could of worked very well. Beyond the Art Book and the website Bio we didn't know much else about her unfortunately whether or not she was supposed to have much else different from her mother we just don't

I don't bitch as you put it at every little detail sure I had problems with Soul Calibur 5 I still played that game and I still liked the game. When I talk about issues about any Soul Calibur game I would like future games to improve and not fall into these traps/problems that past games have fallen under and will hopefully make for much better games in the future that we can all enjoy.

Like everyone here I want to see Soul Calibur succeed and not crash and burn. I do think these successors could still be redeemed however I feel like a ton of people are just going to want their old main's back rather then wait another game for redemption. If you still have confidence in them then good feel free to rally for them and push for these characters to still be around I unfortunately don't have as much confidence in them and I feel SC6 provide it happens will be make or break it for the franchise and want that game to succeed and I feel like we won't be able to do it without the old characters feel free to disagree with me on that I just don't see it happening keep in mind nostalgia is also powerful thing that can push people. I'm not saying they should be brought back for that reason alone and some people will definitely buy the game if their old favourites were in the game.

Wont read all that. Probably just random bs.
I tried to be reasonable with you and you responded by completely ignoring me and potentially insulting me that's your choice and I guess that's the punishment I get for thinking your a reasonable person.

Just a tip for you don't be so ridiculously hostile around others especially those you don't agree with your just asking for trouble.

Jesus Christ, we've had like an evening of peace and quiet and as the next day starts, people are already at each other's throats once again.

Jesus Christ, we've had like an evening of peace and quiet and as the next day starts, people are already at each other's throats once again.
It's just the end of another cycle. It always ends with all out war between traditionalists and "It's-unimportant"alists.
But prophesy says that one day the Sun of this forum will rise and legendary artifact known as SoulCalibur Mk.VI will be discovered. But if this legend just a meaningless hope, or an undoubtful salvation? Will we ever know the answer...?

It's just the end of another cycle. It always ends with all out war between traditionalists and "It's-unimportant"alists.
But prophesy says that one day the Sun of this forum will rise and legendary artifact known as SoulCalibur Mk.VI will be discovered. But if this legend just a meaningless hope, or an undoubtful salvation? Will we ever know the answer...?
So it's casuals vs competitive players basically?

So it's casuals vs competitive players basically?
Kind of. To be precise it's "annoying casuals" vs "aggresive competitive players". Both are kinda ridiculous in their own way (casuals sometimes ask for full moveset customise, or boycott game because of a single characters, while competitive completely devalue everything outside of actual process of fighting). But outside of that most people just ask "actually finish the game this time, ok'" and nothing else. The thing is - everything is important, but sometimes game is created unbalanced content wise, like SCIII (the favourite among casuals, the unplayable broken shit for competetive players) and SCV (best fighting system and nice balance, but it's a shell of a game [not SFV level of terribleness, it's nearly unreachable (lol), but quite bad too]). My hope for SCVI is that PS will get everything right this time.
But I'm kind of the stupidest here, 'cuz I want everything.

This has nothing to do with competitive vs casuals. Its about stupid ass reasons to dislike everything new.
Even if they´d kick every single fucking character in the game and replace everyone i´d still play it because its Soul calibur. A single character doesnt make the game. And if you get replacements that are similar and actually fit in which is definitely the case in sc5. Then there is nothing to complain about unless you are super picky and WANT to find reasons to hate the game. No one who really likes SC would ever complain that much about minor changes. And thats exactly the way of thinking i cant understand because its fuckin retarded.

Characters are important. No one does something so stupid as replacing somebody. Ever. SCV is the first time this was done and it failed.
Also weather they fit or not is completely subjective matter. Example: for you Natsu is better Taki, for me Natsu is annoying teenager Taki that does not fit into SC. Different things for different folks, but changing characters is not a "minor" thing.

yes it is a minor thing. Its still the same gameplay. The characters are designed the same way the always were. They feel and play like soul calibur characters. If the name is xianghua or leixia natsu, taki is completely unimportant. They could replace voldo with waldo and i wouldnt care as long as he feels like a soul calibur character.

Including Devil jin that is a different story.

Tbh, with all of the arguments that have occurred on this thread I can't even tell what's going on atm.

Back