Viola : Current Issues, and what needs to be fixed.

Is Viola Overpowered? Be Honest...

• Total voters
Yes, a lifebar reset shows that a "Combo" is a techtrap. Also the 3 splats should have told you. :P
The argument for ban isn't the ToD, it's the fact that she gets the ToD off a safe, invisible low/mid mixup which can be set up in a variety of ways and that her damage is off the charts with any amount of meter used. 180 damage off FC K for just one bar of meter? That's more than Algol gets for 2 full bars off his CE.
And yesterday you were telling me this game's risk/reward isn't completely screwed up. :P
Sorry, I had to poke a little bit of fun on that.

My opinion about the Viola things: I don't care if she's banned or not, it doesn't affect me at the moment. I can't afford to travel to tournaments during this time in my life. So I'm an online warrior that doesn't have a local scene at all. That's why I usually don't state my opinion on topics like this. Even if I could travel I would just deal with the tools the opponent is given, even if I hate them I wouldn't complain about it.

I would just like to add this to clarify something:
Overpowered does not mean broken. Broken is when the character is so absurd that they make other characters unviable. SCIV Hilde is broken. SCV Viola is not. Overpowered just means they're stronger than they should be, often frustratingly so.

That said, Viola is overpowered, but not game-breakingly so.
Over Powered my ass... I've taken down many Viola's with my Giant Axe.

Erm to those who say viola's Tod combo's are impractical.....( I been a victim of the tod combo's twice losing more than half life) um go play viola players who can use them and they are practical...that is all.

Over centralization of meta game. Ya, any character is beatable if you spend all your hours training against it. That doesn't take anything from Viola being the best character in this game.

I don't think she's the best character in the game. Broken damage, yes. But that's about it. She has too many weaknesses that can be exploited. Imo good Mitsu or Alpha are much more dangerous that her.

I don't think she's the best character in the game. Broken damage, yes. But that's about it. She has too many weaknesses that can be exploited. Imo good Mitsu or Alpha are much more dangerous that her.
I just wanna know what weakness? do u mean how she struggles at mid and long range for example?

Yep. When I used Viola as a secondary, some of the MU's seemed impossible for me. For example Nightmare, I couldn't do anything. He can just backdash and spam moves like 22_88A, I can't get close, I have to chase him down and my guard gets badly damaged and/or I lose have half of my life in the process. Not to mention I can't punish anything for life because of range/pushback.

Alpha and Mitsu (for example) don't have this problem. They are deadly at any given range, they can punish anything for tons of damage, can stop me from backdashing, stepping... I'd prefer to fight Viola over them any day.

To be honest I dont know if anyone else agrees here. But I dont think people should be allowed to GI her ball during her brave edges. If anything it should stop the BALL and not her, because its not really connected to her. Unless its like stopping her magic, and I guess that's what its supposed to be, but still.

To be honest I dont know if anyone else agrees here. But I dont think people should be allowed to GI her ball during her brave edges. If anything it should stop the BALL and not her, because its not really connected to her. Unless its like stopping her magic, and I guess that's what its supposed to be, but still.
From a story/aesthetic standpoint that would make sense.
From a gameplay standpoint that'd be a really bad thing to implement.

You can JG the GI for orb attacks. This is yet another reason why she is so cheap. I totally agree with Slade though, this should NOT be implemented.

You can JG the GI for orb attacks. This is yet another reason why she is so cheap. I totally agree with Slade though, this should NOT be implemented.

Seems like you have to have really good timing for that. But I do agree with you there.

GI'ing the orb is rather intense actually, even if viola is full screen away you can GI the orb when it comes near you, and if youre using meter (not every auto-gi has the right hitboxes) you can GI from behind.

If you stand her full screen, do 6B+K and then jump (back to an edge) when you GI the orb from 100 yards away she will still fly up and get ring outed. Never likely to happen in a competetive situation but its definitely something that needs to stay in, if you couldnt GI the orb then she could get a hell of a lot more pressure than she already can...

Seems like you have to have really good timing for that. But I do agree with you there.
GI'ing the orb is rather intense actually, even if viola is full screen away you can GI the orb when it comes near you, and if youre using meter (not every auto-gi has the right hitboxes) you can GI from behind.

If you stand her full screen, do 6B+K and then jump (back to an edge) when you GI the orb from 100 yards away she will still fly up and get ring outed. Never likely to happen in a competetive situation but its definitely something that needs to stay in, if you couldnt GI the orb then she could get a hell of a lot more pressure than she already can...
I see no difficulty; if you knew you could'nt guard impact the orb, then why would anybody be an idiot & go for the same move twice? Most importantly, why would you wanna try to get it on the orb right on the dot with guard impacting?

Side stepping, guard impacting her claw attacks, & attacking when least expected is what you should be doing. Viola is not cheap or overpowered; she never was. The problem: its you guys; now I'm not saying you 3 only, but I'm saying anyone who lacks confidence & proficiency within themselves. If Viola is unable to attack you without you recovering at all, then she's just given you the chance to make a comeback.

Dont get mad if your comeback turned out to be a blow out, cause then you'd be like "OMFG, YOU FUCKING LOSER ASS BITCH, FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN FAGGOT" & then you'll probably end up here saying "Oh yeah, she's cheap; she did this & that & I was unable to do anything", when really "I was just too weak at that time". Going roid rage & complaining on 8wayrun.com is the aftermath of how most people get. Thus, making you post your feeble complaints about your lack of confidence & proficiency. (This goes for everybody)

Admitting your weak is probably the first step of you rising up to be a better player in the first place. Once you've finally gotten that out of the way, you should do something about it. Go train up & gather some of that proficiency & confidence, enhancing your skills & play your game in your way, not there game. Play theirs you'll have a higher chance of defeat. In SC, there's no such thing as playing unfair. The reason why, is because nobody has 100% dominance over 1 character at 100% of the time.

What I said in my other posts was about me explaining how to build your skill, proficiency, confidence, gameplay, & logic. There are 2 ways to do that, one slow way, one fast way.

1) Play Alot (Slow way)
2) Lose Battles (Fast way)

Atleast that's my method on how powerful I become, because with every defeat, I "WILL" comeback twice as strong. You'll know what I mean once you feel the power, it gets stronger & stronger within you from every victory gained. Those who intend to feel that kinda strength choose to pick a different character because that strength from their main character is too overwhelming for them to handle, due to how many victories that person has gained. You'll basicly say this in your head "Alright I've proven myself too much & I dont wanna blow the moment with a defeat, so I'ma pick a different character & not care anymore".

Go to training & work on your 5 abilities, then you'll be the one to come out having the last laugh & get to be on top. W/o having to go roid rage this time. Throwin the controller at the screen or punching it your hardest, w/e you do.

Back