Viola General Discussion / Q&A

So what do you guys do to stop the opponents from continuing pressure? Does she have a move other than W/O 4A that is sort of a "get off me" move?

Anything you guys use to actually KEEP pressure? Tech traps, Frame traps, any of that sort of stuff?

I use 8A+B when the opponent puts me in pressure. I guess that 4A[BE] would work too, but sometimes it gets countered.

something people have been falling for a lot now is:

To keep pressure: do BBB or AAB to poke them and to call the orb back, after that during their stun there is a perfect opportunity for a high low mixup. For the first few tries I just do AAB and then while they're recoiling you can run in and grab. Fall for it every time. Once they start ducking it's time to get a mid out, I haven't figured out the best way to punish with a mid while having the orb in hand yet, 9A+B has been working ok but it's kinda slow, so far this has been great for chipping away.

To attack at mid range: for characters who aren't long range characters 1A+B has been working wonders, and as you guys know, you can combo off of it. Don't throw it out of course, wait for an opening because it's so easily interruptible. It's also ok for oki if you time it well, even if they block low, you're right in their face, but the timing to make the move safe is really REALLY strict.

For misc shenanigans at close/mid range I've been using 44K to surprise people and get up close, it crushes high moves and it's quick so it's good against people spamming moves like that, the range is surprisingly good too.

For characters like Xiba and Nightmare I'm still having a bit of trouble, getting close before they attack me is quite difficult, and her zoning, while good, does tiny damage.

This game is way more about evasion than it is about blocking, for Viola I really think you need to know every character well so you can know how to get around every attack, blocking is a bad idea and you can't constantly pressure the opponent for too long close up.

I really think Viola needs a 236 wavedash like Amy did. All her 66 moves come out from a 236 so having a wavedash to accompany or feint those moves would be a brilliant asset.

Anyone have any tips on how to get 44+A+B BE in? It's too slow for close range and can whiff at mid range...

Also, can we talk about better tactics for how to use her when she has the orb on her? Almost everything everyone comes up with ends up with losing the orb or using N/O combos.

Once they start ducking it's time to get a mid out, I haven't figured out the best way to punish with a mid while having the orb in hand yet, 9A+B has been working ok but it's kinda slow, so far this has been great for chipping away.

4B 66A+BB works here. She can also just 2A+B you. If you're ducking, it'll hit. If you stand into it, you'll be forced to block it and she'll have massive frame advantage.

Anyone have any tips on how to get 44+A+B BE in? It's too slow for close range and can whiff at mid range...

Also, can we talk about better tactics for how to use her when she has the orb on her? Almost everything everyone comes up with ends up with losing the orb or using N/O combos.

I don't know that BE. o_O If you're just talking about the 44A BE, it's an antistep tool and leads to 33(B) launcher.

When she has orb, I'm usually just poking or making use of her buffed normals with orb.

If I'm already close, I usually use W/O 6B+K because it leaves you at -1 on block and +8 on hit. If it hits you can frame trap with anything or start pressure strings with a N/O 6B+K. If they block you can still N/O 6B+K, attempt a frame trap with AA or another fast move... Lots of possibilities.

Ahem... Luffy calls making the first Viola guide! D:< (With help of course.) But I wanna test my own knowledge AND add other peoples knowledge. Is that ok with you Panther? Oh pretty please? :D <3

Anywho! I actually have a question:

What moves do you use to stay in the ideal range?

Does she have any Tech-Steps? It looks like her 22_88k has a sidestep in it.

Oh nice, so that "I must go my planet needs me" bug works for Viola too. Great way to bug this game out Namco.

I'd actually known about that. It does the same thing except backwards off of 6AB B+K BE CE combo as well as 6B+K B+K BE CE combo. The main difference in these two cases though, is because they are sent behind you, you can end up in the way. So running forward/stepping is probably your best bet to get an RO off of it.

A video I'd made about the reverse RO case:

My biggest issue right now is how do you deal with mid range opponents? She is stupidly steppable and her only move to scare them is 66AAB...which unfortunately is a high and gets beat out by characters with good TC move to cancel step. She has a few other moves like 22A+B, A+B, and 4A+B...but they're slow as shit and often dont have enough range to beat their options.

1A+B is good as it can combo and is sneaky, but very unsafe.

N/O 6B+K has stupid fast recovery, can provoke attack, and can easily start a combo
W/O 4A is one of my favorite moves
6AB is really nice
N/O A+BAB is good
W/O 6B+K kinda catches stepping and is safe
W/O 33_99A I believe should be safe vs most if not everyone due to pushback
44AB and 44A BE

Sorry panther but we have messed land lords that wont let us have internet. If I had internet for wireless then the guide be posted. I haven't had the chance to see if the match up thread is already made......

Finding the best solutions is to say fuck the mid game and just 6B+K and get in close and throw out a 3A to check them if they hesitate.Though VS 4A+B is pretty nice (in corner you can combo into 3B if you aren't too close to them when the 2nd part hits). 1A+B is also a nice mid you can cover with 6B+K in some cases. I'm also focusing on fighting with VO at mid range. Spamming 2B is really good and 22_88A isn't bad as a step catcher.

I feel people need to not rely too much on strings that call the ball back. They're really risky, and when you get people who will be smart enough to throw out safe TCs, it will invalid most of them as block pressure.

Right now a few moves got me confused. Why should I ever use A+B and 22_88A+B? They're listed as step catching, but they're so slow and short ranged I can't see these ever being useful. If they were faster sure, but I dunno...

dont forget you can use 66k to close distance and hit confirm into BE. 66B can be useful as well as long as its uses sparingly, or when you think you might get a counter.

My biggest issue right now is how do you deal with mid range opponents? She is stupidly steppable and her only move to scare them is 66AAB...which unfortunately is a high and gets beat out by characters with good TC move to cancel step. She has a few other moves like 22A+B, A+B, and 4A+B...but they're slow as shit and often dont have enough range to beat their options.

1A+B is good as it can combo and is sneaky, but very unsafe.

Mid range moves taht are good for backstep:

W/O 4A
9A (better range in W/O)
W/O 6B
W/O 3B
4B - N/O 2(A+B) (half a second) 1K is a combo
6A+B
1A+B
8A+B - In N/O the second hit is Qsteppable. its -12 on block and the second hit has alot of range. W/O has shorter range and more unsafe but cant be Qstepped. In N/O if you step the 1st hit the 2nd hit will home in, this can catch the oponent by suprise. Good for whiff punishing and has a TC.
4A+B
W/O 6B+K
N/O 6B+K
66A series - can delay the second hit and hit confirm on CH, good to catch the oppoennt off guard.
66B
44_11_77B
33_99K
44_11_77K

BE 2B+K is also good for mid range as it is +16 on block and pretty fast. dont forward step when they block it, you will lose the advantage.

hope that helps

am I the only one that ever gets violas 44A(BE) to never call the orb? Its always random as some times I can still see it floating behind her not moving. Same goes for 22B(BE)

Back