Viola General Discussion / Q&A

Well it's not that Viola is particularly hard to execute. When I say I had to work harder I mean I had to hit them way more than they had to hit me, and generally make way less mistakes and way more correct choices in order to win.

Sure you can say "lets pick apart Natsu so it's easy for us Viola players" but at the highest level of play, every character is going to be picked apart. It's more about who's gameplan holds up and stays solid even when picked apart. A few people in my area have already started to learn how to fight Viola, and this is really starting to make the damage differential noticeable. Once people understand how to punish Viola, the ranges to fight her at, how to shut down her orb recall, and to just use tech crouch moves on her side step killers, her game is super limited. So then every hit starts to count, and that's where the damage hurts her the most. If people aren't getting hit by 3B, and aren't getting hit by throws, what does she have for mixup? Her lows are shit. She also has shit for pokes, her side step killing game is risky as hell since it's all mostly high or if not high then really slow and short ranged.

She just seems like a weak character on paper to me. If you're going to win at high levels with Viola then you're going to have to be an absolutely amazing player, and if that's true then you could have won with just about whoever you picked.

So let's say I've trained them to approach diagonally with 6A+B/recalls. What's the best way to leverage that to my advantage?

66AA, 44BB tracks nicely as well, 4A+B, 44K, 1A+B if you know theyare going to step.

I've realized recently how well this move tracks, both you can the opp. think it's missed until it tracks like a nobody's business on the second hit lol.

4A can also catch step, and the range when you have the orb is pretty surprising too.

with NM not so bad BUT i find Siegfried a troublesome matchup, curse his 22_88A and that infamous 3B mixup

It can be teched left. Best ender now is probably 6A+B 44K, or 2A+B 1A+B. But no, the timing isn't strict on 66B 66A+BB and it still does the most damage, but they can escape it with a left ukemi.

I've been testing this but 3B, AAB, 2A+B, 2B+K BE, 66B, 66A+B does work with left ukemi. Its tight but it works. Maybe it's character specific. With Nightmare it works. I'll test with some other characters.

I've been testing this but 3B, AAB, 2A+B, 2B+K BE, 66B, 66A+B does work with left ukemi. Its tight but it works. Maybe it's character specific. With Nightmare it works. I'll test with some other characters.

This was mentioned earlier - it's character specific. Male characters more often - so I'm thinking it's a bigger hitbox thing. Still need a list it works on though.

Viola's core launch combo (3B, AAB, 9K, 2A+B) places you at quite a distance from your opponent. This seems to me to forfeit the advantage you have when your enemy is grounded. What am I supposed to do at this range? I usually try to close the gap immediately and 8A+B or AAB, B+G.

Furthermore, what am I supposed to do at close range?

Lastly, how do I play Viola?

:D

Viola's core launch combo (3B, AAB, 9K, 2A+B) places you at quite a distance from your opponent. This seems to me to forfeit the advantage you have when your enemy is grounded. What am I supposed to do at this range? I usually try to close the gap immediately and 8A+B or AAB, B+G.

Furthermore, what am I supposed to do at close range?

Lastly, how do I play Viola?

:D

Her BnB doesn't end in 9K 2A+B. You can do 3B AAB 2A+B 44K, 3B AAB 2A+B 1A+B, 3B AAB 6A+B 44K or 3B AAB 66B 66A+BB. All of these are probably better.

At range you just do general orb play, and try to catch step with 66AAB. I'm moving this to the general discussion thread BTW.

Her BnB doesn't end in 9K 2A+B. You can do 3B AAB 2A+B 44K, 3B AAB 2A+B 1A+B, 3B AAB 6A+B 44K or 3B AAB 66B 66A+BB. All of these are probably better.

At range you just do general orb play, and try to catch step with 66AAB. I'm moving this to the general discussion thread BTW.

BREAD AND BUTTER. BnB. Just got it.

I've switched to 3B AAB 2A+B 1A+B just because it's easiest. I'm not very good at those double tap moves in the anxiety of the moment that it's necessary. Patroklos' 6BBB to 66B+K is about all I can handle, and even then, I occasionally mess up.

So what do you like to do once you've gotten them on the ground?
1A+B puts you in crouch, anything good to do while rising?

Ok i'll do some more testing tomorrow but as of now i have found this about Viola 3B, AAB, 66B, 66A+B and 3B, AAB, 2A+B, 2B+K BE, dash , AAB, 66B, 66A+B.

First off the 2 combo's work really differently. The BE extended version works on a lot more characters then the meterless version. As of now i'll write down the characters i tried with either * or **. Obviously * means only extended version and ** means both.

Nightmare : **
Patrocklos : *
Leixia : None
ZWEI : **
Natsu : *
Ezio : *
Raphael : **
Viola : *
Pyrrha : **
Siegfried : **
Hilde : **
Xiba : *
Ivy : None

The rest will be up tomorrow.

Recently I've found 6B+K to be my favourite move for setting the orb now. Even though it's a vertical it's quite quick so if you time it you can be pretty safe. You can do it on wakeup when at point black to catch them off guard too.

Apparently 66k crushes high and low, has anyone been using this move?

Lack of damage is my only issue. That and long range high stun power characters. But mainly the lack of damage. I absolutely love her as a character though. I guess its simply about punishing. Because when I do get the opportunity I can make that orb look like its on a string.

Im not the greatest but I win my fair share, and continue to get better. But with a tiny bit damage buff it would help me tenfold. But what character wouldn't say that?

She does not lack damage in the slightest. Orb pressure makes it so that you can get many guaranteed throw attempts off during a match. With meter (which she gains easily) you can dish out quite a bit of damage off of a versatile set of moves. The only thing I do not like is that the guts system makes the last 10% of your opponents health become a bit more painful if you hit that thresh hold during a combo.

"In the slightest" would mean you know for a fact. I know personally I said it was MY issue. Meaning exactly that, my own.

"guaranteed throw attempts" also does not equal damage output. As her grabs W/O do not deal much damage.

Lastly, I have zero issue with the system affecting the last 10%.

"In the slightest" would mean you know for a fact. I know personally I said it was MY issue. Meaning exactly that, my own.

"guaranteed throw attempts" also does not equal damage output. As her grabs W/O do not deal much damage.

Lastly, I have zero issue with the system affecting the last 10%.
No offense but you probably aren't even close to the same level as Cedric either. As with all things as you get better so does your ability to bring the most out of the character.

Back