What do you think about Stuns overall?

I've also never encountered a move in the three games of SC I've played over the years that required a different amount of shaking then others.

IIRC, either Nightmare's CH NBS K or CH NSS K in SC2 (or SC1?) caused a DOS stun that required 7 inputs. I don't think that applies to SC4 tho

Also, unshakeable stuns do offer guaranteed damage, and if you dont shake the shakeablestun you want to give them free damage instead of mixup? I know it scales, but sometimes it doesnt scale quickly enough, and there goes 35% of your life.

I know people are jumping on your case, and I ask this not in a facetious manner: what other fighters do you play?

35%? Almost any fighter I can think of, the average juggle or combo is 50%+. In quite a few fighters, there are death combos and infinites.

SC4's combo damage scaling is WONDERFUL. I love it. The stuns actually allow people to do nice long combos unlike SCs of old, but the scaled damage still keeps the game more about mindgames instead of turning into an all-out test of "whoever lands the first combo starter wins."

well get better reflexes son. If you cant see what move was done and realize that it not only hit you, that it stuns, and that you're going to have to shake, at least MOST of the time, then thats pretty bad. Its not unheard of, being surprised, but even then you should be able to get a shake out MOST of the time. I have terrible reflexes and i can still shake out of most stuns, surprised or no. Cant block a low to save my life though.

yes, guaranteed damage exists. was that your point? i think we all knew this....
If you dont understand the mechanics of a post stun-shake mixup, then just don't comment on it.

Combos do damage. Some combos do lots of damage. Its been like this in just about every fighting game forever and ever. If you have a problem with this I suggest a different genre of game for you. perhaps tetris.

The fact that this bothers anyone is just beyond my tiny brain to comprehend. You would think that people would walk into a fighting game and realize, oh, this is just how things work in this type of game.

He did say that stuns dont offer guaranteed damage, so I referenced unshakeables. I do understand the mechanics of a post stun mixup, read his post dumbass, he says that not shaking is a better idea, and give them free damage. I never said I had a problem with combo damage, just that if you can shake and possibly avoid damage, then thats better than taking that much damage.

Furthermore, i have not personally played anyone who can react to all stuns that effect them.

Dont act like an idiot. Dont treat me like an idiot, i was talking to crow about his post and the things he said in that post.

I further reference:

Yun: CH 44B, yields a shakable stun. If I don't shake, then he can 44A, and then assuming I don't shake that stun, he gets a free 236KK or 8KKK. If he goes 236KK and I dont just ukemi, he still gets 8KKK. Or I could shake the 44B, and try to guard/counter a mixup.

Was that statement he made sarcastic, could have been, but its very hard to know a joke or sarcasm when there are no hints and Im reading it in text.

As for that tetris remark, I dont like tetris, but I play a variety of games. That doesn't mean i can't have an opinion or a discussion with someone on a forum about a specific game.

If im sounding extremely rude, its because ive had an exhausting day and i dont feel like taking crap right now.

IIRC, either Nightmare's CH NBS K or CH NSS K in SC2 (or SC1?) caused a DOS stun that required 7 inputs. I don't think that applies to SC4 tho

I know people are jumping on your case, and I ask this not in a facetious manner: what other fighters do you play?

35%? Almost any fighter I can think of, the average juggle or combo is 50%+. In quite a few fighters, there are death combos and infinites.

SC4's combo damage scaling is WONDERFUL. I love it. The stuns actually allow people to do nice long combos unlike SCs of old, but the scaled damage still keeps the game more about mindgames instead of turning into an all-out test of "whoever lands the first combo starter wins."

I only play ST and yes 35% may not feel like its as much, but when its against an ivy or a zas who is flinging you around in the air, and AC doesnt work then yes there it goes. I said that comment, all rooted from his statement about taking damage over the mixup. The mixup gives you a chance to avoid that damage, his statement basically said if you can avoid losing that 35% dont take that chance and let the health go.

Was he joking? The statement doesn't seem like it.

He did say that stuns dont offer guaranteed damage, so I referenced unshakeables.
yes, he did say that stuns do not offer guaranteed damage. He said it in a post that was about shakable stuns, and it was not difficult to infer that he was talking about shakable stuns. Please dont argue semantics.

I do understand the mechanics of a post stun mixup
Do you really? I contest that you do not, or you wouldn't be arguing with me.
read his post dumbass, he says that not shaking is a better idea, and give them free damage.
Dumbass eh? At least I can read. You see,that's not what he said. he said:

You may even someday get to the skillful point that you purposefully won't shake stuns to avoid anti-stun shaking mixups. How very meta of you, Soul Calibur!

You see, not all stuns leave you in the standing position, double over stuns are a good example of this. SOMETIMES, a person might elect to wait for you to shake the stun and then go for a, lets say command grab, on you for the ring out. Now, if you shake that stun as fast as possible, you pop right back up into a command grab, however if you let yourself reel in the doubled over position for a moment (perhaps even hitting the ground after) then that isnt an option, as the grab will glide gently over your head. Of course that leaves you open to other things, but thats not the point. The point is, in this case, shaking the stun could be worse than not shaking it.

I never said I had a problem with combo damage, just that if you can shake and possibly avoid damage, then thats better than taking that much damage.

it seems like thats what you said...
I know it scales, but sometimes it doesnt scale quickly enough, and there goes 35% of your life.

It SEEMS like you're complaining about combo damage and referring to a previous post I made about damage scaling in combos there, although I COULD be wrong. It has happened before. (i know rite)
Dont act like an idiot. Dont treat me like an idiot, i was talking to crow about his post and the things he said in that post.
Dont act like an idiot, and no one will treat you like one.
As for that tetris remark, I dont like tetris, but I play a variety of games. That doesn't mean i can't have an opinion or a discussion with someone on a forum about a specific game.
full speed aerial kicks.
If im sounding extremely rude, its because ive had an exhausting day and i dont feel like taking crap right now.
If im sounding extremely rude, its because i am extremely rude and dont care how your day went.

I only play ST and yes 35% may not feel like its as much, but when its against an ivy or a zas who is flinging you around in the air, and AC doesnt work then yes there it goes.

So is your beef with the damage or with how long it takes to do a combo?

35% IS not much, nor how long it takes for someone to get that 35%. SC4 combos should not be bothersome to anyone who's played other fighters, not in length nor in damage, as several of the major fighters are way worse.

Since you don't play any other fighters, my advice is simply get used to it.

I can tell you the reason 99% of you are having trouble breaking stuns. You haven't seriously tried to learn. Here's TL_Crow's quick guide to breaking stuns and to being an overall better player-

1) Find a move that causes a shakeable stun in practice mode. If you set the dummy-record feature, the little tabs at the top will tell you when a move is shakeable by giving the tab "Stun (Recoverable)". *PROTIP* Most stuns happen on CH. If you don't want to bother looking up stuns, here's an easy one to practice against- Amy 66B+K.

*snip*

If you want an easy shakeable stun combo to practice against, play against Cassandra in practice mode and set her freestyle mode to 3K. That will do a recoverable stun, and the next kick will hit you if you don't shake it and guard right after. Best of all, this is all completely auto-pilot, so, no messy recorded command business.

yes, he did say that stuns do not offer guaranteed damage. He said it in a post that was about shakable stuns, and it was not difficult to infer that he was talking about shakable stuns. Please dont argue semantics.

Do you really? I contest that you do not, or you wouldn't be arguing with me.

Dumbass eh? At least I can read. You see,that's not what he said. he said:

You may even someday get to the skillful point that you purposefully won't shake stuns to avoid anti-stun shaking mixups. How very meta of you, Soul Calibur!

You see, not all stuns leave you in the standing position, double over stuns are a good example of this. SOMETIMES, a person might elect to wait for you to shake the stun and then go for a, lets say command grab, on you for the ring out. Now, if you shake that stun as fast as possible, you pop right back up into a command grab, however if you let yourself reel in the doubled over position for a moment (perhaps even hitting the ground after) then that isnt an option, as the grab will glide gently over your head. Of course that leaves you open to other things, but thats not the point. The point is, in this case, shaking the stun could be worse than not shaking it.

it seems like thats what you said...

It SEEMS like you're complaining about combo damage and referring to a previous post I made about damage scaling in combos there, although I COULD be wrong. It has happened before. (i know rite)

Dont act like an idiot, and no one will treat you like one.

full speed aerial kicks.

If im sounding extremely rude, its because i am extremely rude and dont care how your day went.

I'll just remember your an ass from this point on. I'm not warble, so why say full speed aerial kicks. I only argued with you because you decided to be very cold in your post. There may be advantages to not shaking, but I have yet to encounter a situation personally where not shaking put me at some sort of advantage.

Yes, I was complaining about combo damage in the case of ivy/zas, when a stun combo allows them to throw you around in the air, and you can't AC. I could've inferred he was talking about shakeable stuns in his post, but that doesn't change the fact that he said stuns in a general stun thread so yes I will argue semantics. I am use to the game and if I feel like complaining I will. However, does it really help to belittle people like that over the internet.

Sure its fine on Warble, but what did I say to deserve that kind of post?

I like them, overall. They're somewhat similar to VF's stuns in that, some have guaranteed followups, some must be shaken to avoid further damage. And there lies the mixup potential as they shake. So yeah, I definitely like how they play out. Sometimes I think it's a bit much when you see frequent, guaranteed stuns constantly occuring (just looks like overkill I guess). And I say that as a player who plays Mitsu lol. So I know first hand what that's like.

In VF, when you get stunned, a little joystick pops up to remind you to wiggle. I like that. :B

EC- I never knew Nightmare NSS K would stun for 7 directions. It had to be SC1 because, uh, I remember getting hit by that a lot v. ShardZ in 2, lol, so I don't remember any extra shaking. But I'll check tommorow, when I've slept and it's not 5:30am. SC1 was clearly before my time so I wouldn't know about that, BUT I do have it on my Xbrick.

Dave- Why you gotta be so doctor <3

To respond to the original post, I'm not sure how I feel about stuns in this Soul Calibur. I played a lot of SC and SCII, but hardly any SC3.

I liked the stun system in SCII, as in you couldn't repeatedly restun people. To me that added more depth to the game, instead of going into an auto-combo. You stun someone and you get a free hit. I know there were some bigger combos then, but not to the extent of the new version.

The stun system works for SC4 because it adds a different slant on mindgames. You know that there are certain moves that you really want to avoid, and you may anticipate them more due to that. But, to me the stun system was changed to make this a more combo based game. That's not how SC was before, and from the videos Ive seen, SC3 didn't seem combo based either (not counting VC). It's still a fun game, but that in itself makes this feel like a different fighting series.

Back