What would a [serious] bare-handed style play like in Soul Calibur?

Norik

[14] Master
I'm being totally serious here. From a competitive perspective, could a weaponless fighter work in this game without it being a juggle-based character like Soul of DJ? And how would a character with short range play without being rushdown like Natsu, mixup-based like Maxi, or gimmicky like Zwei? Would it even make sense to put a martial artist in a game revolving around weapons?

Please share your thoughts.

DJ's style would be fine if we had a skin for it. Any kind of pseudo-supernatural karate where one can imagine being able to block weapons with fists works just fine. Hell, if they reskinned DJ as an "archaic Mishima" a-la Yoshi being the predecessor to Tekken's Yoshi, it would work just fine.

I like how they did Heihachi. The weapons were the bracers, which meant he technically had a weapon, so there was customization for it. And the play style would be kind of like Pattycakes, where when he got close he'd be able to do a lot, but his range would be limited.
I think it could work.

Animal claws? We already have Lizardman, another animal wouldn't be that far-fetched.
Unarmed Nightmare? -- Soul Edge claws?
I don't see much wrong with Devil Jin, except the atrocious Tekken animations... but the concept works fine for me.

Animal claws? We already have Lizardman, another animal wouldn't be that far-fetched.
When ZWEI was announced I thought he was a werewolf. I think this would be an interesting idea to explore.

Give him amazing mobility, a variety of stances for insane mix-ups, and make him a kick based character so that he would have some range and he could be a viable character. I would like to reference Hwoarang or Eddy Gordo from Tekken. Especially Eddy, killing people by dancing is just the most badass thing a fighting game pets you do.

I was also thinking about a kick-based moveset.
=)
Soul+Calibur3+Valeria.jpg

DJ's style would be fine if we had a skin for it. Any kind of pseudo-supernatural karate where one can imagine being able to block weapons with fists works just fine. Hell, if they reskinned DJ as an "archaic Mishima" a-la Yoshi being the predecessor to Tekken's Yoshi, it would work just fine.
Maybe, but I dunno man, it's a little stupid that I can be launched with pretty much his whole moveset and juggled. If they built the style from the ground up sure, but just ripping it from Tekken and throwing it in there seems way out of place. Or maybe I just hate the 623b/623k.k etc. spam.

Honestly, I woldn't really want to see a hand-to-hand character as part of the main cast. It's a weapon-based fighter, and there are plenty of other badass weapon-based styles they haven't explored.

If they did put it in, the character would probably have to be a supernatural DJ style type of character, otherwise... person with a sword>person without a sword.

Maybe, but I dunno man, it's a little stupid that I can be launched with pretty much his whole moveset and juggled. If they built the style from the ground up sure, but just ripping it from Tekken and throwing it in there seems way out of place. Or maybe I just hate the 623b/623k.k etc. spam.
623B:duck this shit its a high
623KK:block the first hit low, second hit is a mid, get up and the block the mid. Leaves DJ at -18.
There you go problem solved

623B:duck this shit its a high
623KK:block the first hit low, second hit high. Leaves DJ at -18.
There you go problem solved
More of an mixup/annoyance than not knowing how to block it.
Although I didn't know 623B was a high, so uh, thanks.

Crossing a line here but...
Sarah Bryant.

In all seriousness, It'd be interesting to see a bare-handed fighter with static stances (like Flamingo). Maybe give the character some Attack throws, but make them be JF's to make them worthwhile. (I think all characters should have more JF's personally). Make them Korean? Tae Kwon Do? I'm really just fanboying the thought of a Sarah Bryant style character put into the SC fighting system. (Flamingo sabaki as an auto GI, her step~2k:K:k is basically Alpha's 3a:A:a, her old WR K+G from vf4 would make a perfect UB, her 7k would leave her at massive disadvantage, her taunt would be like, "Better run home to momma now.") /end of fanboying.

I'd actually rather see a new style from PS. Not some lazy promotional tie-in.

Depend

The most interessing visual/stylistical solution to fit with SC
or
I just want sell bro

Wich one?

Because DJ is one of the most herp derp shit ever, but it's a good logical move for who want sell

As far as I know, the problem with this movesets usually is that the character is either too weak or too strong, Heihachi was stupidly broken iirc, DJ is also rather OP (im not that sure about this one because I haven´t seen much of him) but being able to get 114 damage after blocking a -14 move, lets say Raph 6BB, sounds rather stupid. Now, if you take this things that make him so good, you realize that you have a really bad character, so they are rather unbalanced.

however, if we could get a character that was actually balanced and viable, I would be more than happy to play a character that worked like the koreans from Tekken.

I don't like the idea of mixing of tekkenesque characters (short ranged, but frames that belong in another game). We got natsu for short range character and she's plenty fun. Any shorter range and Project Soul will have a incredibly hard time balancing the lack of range, the characters mobility to get in close, and the crazy frames and damage they'll give him.

I wonder what they did with those 3 shop girls! I really liked how each of the 3 shops had a different girl and they were playable.

On topic: well it would have to be a very closed ranged fighter who is very fast. Getting on the inside being their advantage, and maybe some Ninja Gaiden 3 style claw blades.

I believe that a purely unarmed style is just too thematically out of place to work. Not for any story reasons or shit like that, but because Soul Calibur is, first and foremost, a weapon-based fighter. Adding a fist fighter just puts a hole in the (and I hate saying this phrase) artistic integrity of the game, and not for any real benefit. If someone wants to play a fighter where they punch people to death, there are plenty of those already--it wouldn't be drawing in new players, and if it did it'd be for the wrong reasons. Besides, guest characters fit that role already. However, I do like styles like Yun-Seong's, where he still has a weapon but also focuses heavily on kicks.

Just my opinion. Plus, Devil Jin's animations are fucking awful and if there was a fist fighter, they'd have to be a lot better than that garbage.

Back