What would you rate SCV out of 10 ?

Another thread to populate my ignore list with.

Two things:

1) If you rated the game 5/6 out of 10 and said "THE GAMEPLAY IS GREAT BUT THE SINGLE PLAYER CONTENT SUCKS"... do some math.

That means you are implying that 40-50% of a fighting games success has nothing to do with the fighting part of it. Just wanted you to know how crazy that is.

That said, here is how I would rate it.

Fighting Engine: 9/10. Some small gripes that hopefully will get fixed.

Extra Content: Oh wow bonus content? CaS to edit my characters outfit with? Nice touch!Tournament players as Quick Match characters? That's such a nice EXTRA.

In light of the excellent extra content, I give the game a 9.5/10.

Carry on, marks.

I thought it was a step up from Soul Calibur IV, but its still far behind Soul Calibur II and III in my opinion.

Pros:
Story's okay.
The story did have an great ending.
Z.W.E.I, Viola, Patroklos and Pyrrha are fun characters to play as.
Its very challengeing, forceing you to actually learn moves to succeed in a fight. Just like a fighting game =P
It is very fast and I love it. (However Siegfried and Astaroth shouldn't be that fast)
It isn't Soul Calibur without Mitsurugi or Voldo.
More stages than in Soul Calibur IV.
The music is really good. Especially Tekken 5 music.
CAS is more addictive than ever before.
Ezio Auditore da Firenze is the best guest character the series will ever have!
The online IS incredible!

Cons:
Three mimics. Edge Master should have been the only mimic, while Kilik should have had his own moveset and Elysium should have had Sophitia's moveset. They didn't have to make new movesets if they were close to a deadline, they could've just copied and paste Kilik's and Sophitia's moveset from IV.

While the online is incredible, get ready to lose the connection a couple of times.

The story. I said the story was okay, but being okay means you have a lot of flaws. I was expecting the story to properly send off dear old veteran Sophitia, but that fell flat on its ass. Instead of Pyrrha being the new host for Soul Edge, why not have Sophitia just show up as a new nightmare, saying she was alive over these past 17 years. We can still have the other Nightmare at the same time. Speaking of Nightmare, he did nothing special in the story, other than being a Raphael look a like. Speaking of Raphael, what happened to Amy, why does Viola look like Amy? Is she Amy? Its never answered. Cervantes, Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu, Algol, Hilde, Aeon, all have nothing to do with the story.
Oh, one more important thing, WHO THE HELL IS Z.W.E.I?

You know, character profiles would properly tell us a bit about these characters. Hell even cheap arcade endings will tell us something.

Lots of characters are gone with no mention at all and I doubt we'll get them as DLC.

Overall: 8 out of 10

The gameplay is still fun and the online is one of the best I've seen, but the story was really rushed. I wouldn't mind so much if we just knew why Voldo hasn't snapped his back already! We also don't know what the hell happened to Talim, Zasalamel or Cassandra!

emot-frogout.gif

I'd rate Street Calibur V at 7/10.

It's a good fighting game, it's just fundamentally changed everything that made Soul Calibur my favourite fighting game. The shift towards overly aggressive playstyles over defensive has been hard pill to swallow. I honestly could swallow every other change if they hadn't changed the Guard Impact mechanics completely.

Soul Calibur never needed a meter or critical edges. CE's should have stayed in Street Fighter. All they serve to do is allow players to pull wins out of their asses with a little luck and completely kill the flow of the game. I absolutely despise watching the same canned animation over and over and over. It becomes very boring to watch and is what killed SFIV and MK9 for me.

Changing GI's to require meter is what truly hampers SCV in my opinion. Certain characters (IE. Natsu) can spam attacks all day with nigh on impunity. Whereas in past Soul Caliburs I would just Guard Impact them and punish them for being overly aggressive. Yes, I can still GI but it's not typically worth the risk anymore. It's much better to punish with a BE (which again is the nature of the game now, play aggressively)

This game's saving grace is the online. It's fucking amazing... almost flawless even. I can barely tell the difference between online/offline the majority of the time. I'm just hoping the community lasts. I'm on XBL and it already feels like there's less players than there were in IV, but without an option to see a list of games in ranked it's hard to tell. If it weren't for the online being so good, I would have taken the game back and asked for a refund.

All in all I put over 500 hours into SCIV. More than half that spent offline with a crew of 7 players at my friends house playing round robin. Not ONE of those friends (who have been playing since Soul Edge) bought SCV. They don't like the inclusion of CE's or the change to GI's. They can't stand that the defensive game mechanics were changed so drastically. I hope beyond hope Project Soul patches the old GI mechanics back in. I know I'm dreaming but I would make love to the game disc if they did.

^ the old GI's only got you guaranteed damage if it was JI, it's risk/reward was ass. Watch high level tournament players from sc4 and you'll see what I'm talking about. They hardly ever GI'ed, because it was risky and didn't net you jack shit (unless it was JI). They didn't play predictably enough to make GI even worth it.

Before you derail the new GI any further, have you considered the fact that now GI actually gives you a combo after?

Sure, you may not be able to GI as often as before, but when you do, it's much more meaningful. I actually prefer it this way. The fact that it works on low/mid/high with one input is icing on the cake.

And in all honesty, I don't GI any less than I did before. The meter cost is just compensation for it being so awesome now.

Say what you will about it being aggressive, but for me it's 10x more fun to play this way. You actually can't be a passive turtler and expect to win anymore.

Point being: Turtling is boring.

I rate this game a 15/1 for being great in almost every aspect.
Screw you people rating the game based on single player content! When I got Arcana Heart 3 and PSN was down, I WANTED TO PLAY ONLINE SO BAD! All I did was play story mode and train so damn much. I was never satisfied, until PSN went back on.

^ the old GI's only got you guaranteed damage if it was JI, it's risk/reward was ass. Watch high level tournament players from sc4 and you'll see what I'm talking about. They hardly ever GI'ed, because it was risky and didn't net you jack shit (unless it was JI). They didn't play predictably enough to make GI even worth it.

Before you derail the new GI any further, have you considered the fact that now GI actually gives you a combo after?

Sure, you may not be able to GI as often as before, but when you do, it's much more meaningful. I actually prefer it this way. The fact that it works on low/mid/high with one input is icing on the cake.

And in all honesty, I don't GI any less than I did before. The meter cost is just compensation for it being so awesome now.

Say what you will about it being aggressive, but for me it's 10x more fun to play this way. You actually can't be a passive turtler and expect to win anymore.

Point being: Turtling is boring.

I have tried to reconcile that the new GI always puts you at an advantage and I've tried to convince myself that it's better because of it, but I just can't. The fact that it hits low/mid/high actually diminishes it in my eyes because it now requires far less skill to use. GIing a low on reaction looked epic as fuck.

I've watched some of the high level tourneys and rarely see GI's regardless of the change. Maybe I'm watching the wrong fights, but there was zero GI's in the Winter Brawl final. High level players seemingly would rather block, step and punish.

I miss the back and forth GI battles. All of the best fights I had with my friends were impact heavy and highly entertaining to watch. I liked being able to punish predictable players into impact oblivion.

Regardless, I fail to see how the old GI system promoted turtling. Especially since, as you say, high level players never used it anyway. My point: Getting spammed down in a situation where in previous games you could escape with a GI is boring and frustrating.

after playing so much more, 6.9/10
just because if you don't have online and I can see where you would get board, the story was kinda disapointing, no talim (almost worth 2 whole points...)

Give the game some time, and trust me, you will see GI's used more.

I mean, it net's you a combo, for the same amount of meter as brave edge....seems like a pretty good deal to me. I was actually surprised that I didn't see it tbh.

Back and forth GI's only happen if you play predictable as fuck. Me and my friend used to play that way, then when we got better, we whiffed more GI's than landing it, so we eventually only used it rarely.

One easy way to bait a GI whiff is to simply use a delay-able attack, or a slightly slower one than your typical bread and butter moves. Most of the time people aren't doing GI on reaction, there doing it on anticipation.

I mean, nothing is worse than a whiffed GI, especially in this game, where you not only lose a shit ton of life, but waste 50% meter on top of it.

Another thread to populate my ignore list with.

Two things:

1) If you rated the game 5/6 out of 10 and said "THE GAMEPLAY IS GREAT BUT THE SINGLE PLAYER CONTENT SUCKS"... do some math.

That means you are implying that 40-50% of a fighting games success has nothing to do with the fighting part of it. Just wanted you to know how crazy that is.

That said, here is how I would rate it.

Fighting Engine: 9/10. Some small gripes that hopefully will get fixed.

Extra Content: Oh wow bonus content? CaS to edit my characters outfit with? Nice touch!Tournament players as Quick Match characters? That's such a nice EXTRA.

In light of the excellent extra content, I give the game a 9.5/10.

Carry on, marks.

Heum....you obviously have no idea what your talking about soul calibur 5 is not even close to a 9 lmao. The gameplay is decent but nothing original, all copied from street fighter... the gameplay is a 7 at best. But the rest is shit. Btw in today's generation presentation is more important than the fighting itself.(Super smash bros brawl).

Most of the fans are pissed off because PS promised a lot but most if where lies.

(Amazing story) (lmao)
(Great Character Custimzation)(character gains 20 pounds when you put a shirt)
(Amazing music)( music is better thant SCIV but nothing memorable except for Z.W.E.I and Natsu's)
(A new start for the serie)(3 mimics...)

I love 5 but i ain't spending money for tourneys and stuff, just going to keep playing with the crew at foonzo.

8/10

there's a lot of things to learn and develop, each character with a (few execeptions have every diverse and interesting movesets) CHaracter to character Match ups aren't 100 percent boring to sit through, and with the various levels can turn the tide of a battle, and the way a match is approached very quickly.

However, the online play while robust and having many features still has some tuning issues, I fear that it's regressing to SC4 net but then again I haven't encountered any type of shenanigans that one would encounter in that environment.

Is it me or do all the just inputs from last game feel alot more difficult to pull off?

The CaS is once again amazing, there are a few things left ot be desired but I won't nitpick. I have a thoroughly good time making my characters, and taking them into the fray.

I just wish that one day CaS could be done in a fashion that makes the styles unique in matchup without the whole populous going..." This is stupid, it's inconsistent, etc." I think that knowing a size 2 character will have some moves wiff is pretty awesome imo, because it adds more flavor to match ups. I love the analogy of an F1 vehicle, it's customized to meet your needs and it works how YOU need it to. (I also am a supporter of gems so by that logic 80 percent of you have just dejected any sort of information you may have agreed with just now. The problem with that is that some material obscures the characters weapons(An issue well mentioned here, I have yet to experience this myself) but that should've been tested before the character pieces were put into place.

All and all I think Casuals and Core alike are satisfied by this game, however it is yet another game where we cannot reach a happy medium (Imho) I for one hope that one day I can sit down with a few people that just have fun even though I may take the game seriously and have us all enjoy something without saying this is to difficult or that shouldn't be( I'm speaking on things out of reason like someone asking to nerf something that doesn't require any further input to it).

Heum....you obviously have no idea what your talking about soul calibur 5 is not even close to a 9 lmao. The gameplay is decent but nothing original, all copied from street fighter... the gameplay is a 7 at best. But the rest is shit. Btw in today's generation presentation is more important than the fighting itself.(Super smash bros brawl).

Most of the fans are pissed off because PS promised a lot but most if where lies.

(Amazing story) (lmao)
(Amazing music)( music is better thant SCIV but nothing memorable except for Z.W.E.I and Natsu's)

I love 5 but i ain't spending money for tourneys and stuff, just going to keep playing with the crew at foonzo.

I starting laughing here, and I was in hysterics by the end. Are... are you for real? :sc1crv1:

Anyone who's actually a fan of the series, and not just a single aspect of it would never say something so.... unashamedly idiotic.

I starting laughing here, and I was in hysterics by the end. Are... are you for real? :sc1crv1:

Anyone who's actually a fan of the series, and not just a single aspect of it would never say something so.... unashamedly idiotic.

tell me something original with the gameplay the new mechanics are overused cap com formulas, They should have brought soul charges back.

He's angry that he falls for mashed-out crouchdancing reversal CEs. If you read most of the reviews in this thread, it's like...below casual level...

(Amazing story) (lmao)

Seriously have you ever compared the gameplay from previous games with this one? SCV has MUCH better gameplay than the rest. And copied from SF? WHAT? That has to be the biggest joke ever. I'm not even going to take that serious.
And you trying to say Super Smash bros is better fighting game is completely laughable.

Seriously I am so damn tired of people complaining about this game. Go make your own fan stories or something. All I hear from people like you is "STORY STORY STORY STORY!"
Just read a book seriously.

Back