When Yun-seong returns, what's your ideal moveset for him?

My opinion, in general, is that Yun-seong has felt very different from Xianghua pretty much always, even when he was cut from SoulCalibur V, and Leixia was given Hwang’s kicks, nothing really felt like Yun-seong aside from Yun-seong himself. His crane stance is definitely his defining feature, but his acrobatic and hyper aggressive style has always set him apart from Xianghua’s more tricky playful style.

Leixia felt like she was trying to be a feminine Hwang more than anything else. She still had some Xianghuaisms in her style, of course, but overall her style was more in your face about things, and as mentioned, she got his kicks, but a lot of her strings lacked the twirl and dance that Xianghua uses, and felt more like something Hwang would do, just a practical cut.

So I don’t really even think radical change is needed for either Hwang or Yun-seong to differentiate from each other. They already managed to do so in SoulCalibur III. Hwang has a balanced grounded style which employs a number of stylish, but refined, kicking moves, that feels like something a master would do, and his strikes also carry this weight, very precise cuts that feel strong yet agile.

Meanwhile, Yun-seong’s style is more like he thought Hwang looked cool and he’s trying to mimic him, but without the years of training, is a lot more sloppy and over-the-top, so it’s less safe, more risky, and employs his own variations that he arrogantly threw in of his own accord because it made him even more cool, and some of those things worked to make him more powerful, but others just needlessly put him in danger. Add the crane stance that he actually did master, applied haphazardly to the rest of everything else, and you get Yun-seong.

Basically, think of Mitsurugi and Yoshimitsu, that’s how I see Hwang and Yun-seong.
I agree with this. Their cases actually feels like Hwoarang/Baek from Tekken, with both having similar styles (Hwoarang's left and right Flamingo stance versus Baek's more traditional Taekwondo), while still remaining greatly distinct from each other and not clones of each other.

Tekken 7 kinda scared me though when Hwoarang incorporated Baek's moves on his own. I'm dreading the idea that Hwang joins the roster instead of Yun-seong and he gets some of Yun's moves, probably the less acrobatic ones.

I agree with this. Their cases actually feels like Hwoarang/Baek from Tekken, with both having similar styles (Hwoarang's left and right Flamingo stance versus Baek's more traditional Taekwondo), while still remaining greatly distinct from each other and not clones of each other.

Tekken 7 kinda scared me though when Hwoarang incorporated Baek's moves on his own. I'm dreading the idea that Hwang joins the roster instead of Yun-seong and he gets some of Yun's moves, probably the less acrobatic ones.

I wouldn't put it past them to do that in regards to giving either Hwang some of Yun's moves or the opposite way around

2020-3-31

Bae got basically deconfirmed from the leak!!!! T______________T
There’s season three, possibly. Seems likely, too, to fill those four corners. Aeon is a given, a fourth guest is likely, Rock has ties to Aeon, so he has a maybe, and then there’s Yun-seong, who has just as much rights to exist as any other “clone” style that isn’t really a clone. Li Long is a mayyybe, but a bit of a stretch. That’s all that’s real considerations, short of new characters and (unlikely) Dampierre.

theres no way that they didn't purposely hold yun-seong hostage for season 3.....
If they are planning a Season 3, they must guarantee that it will sell. Yun-seong is currently the highest placed character in the popularity poll that's not in the game yet. And that poll is a huge factor: nearly all Top 25 characters are in the game.

Besides, it's possible that Yun-seong will be appear on Hwang's story, that's why the latter will be coming first. (Considering the rumors are true)

You could always have Yun be a more unsafe, but harder hitting in comparison to hwang. But we don't know how exactly Hwang will play (if the leak is real), so I'm not really sure yet. They could easily do something similar, like with Amy or Cass

He placed 14th in the official character popularity poll. Even higher than the rumored characters of Season 2. So yeah, Yun is actually very popular.
That was years ago though, and it was only restricted to Facebook. Much has changed. I’d definitely say he’s more popular than Rock but compared to the staple “no brainer” characters and others like Zasalamel or Amy, not so much.

Last edited:
I’ve never cared for Yun-seong’s attitude and personality, off quirk I’m sure, but I was hopeful when Hwang came back for SoulCalibur III that we could have them both like the Alexandras, alas SoulCalibur IV promptly crushed my soul.

Back