Why did you choose your main(s)?

SacredWarrior

[09] Warrior
I'm sure pretty much everyone here has at least that one character that they always use no matter what. That one character that they've spent so many hours training with. Their waifu or husbando. Their ride or die.

Their main.

For everyone here who has a main or mains, who do you use and why do you use them? What do you think of them overall? As for me, I have two mains and they are the following characters!

sophitia-sc6-intro.gif

Sophitia Alexandra. The oldest of the Alexandra sisters and holy warrior of the Gods.

When I first played SC2, she immediately stuck out to me and I was drawn to her like a moth to a flame! Her fighting style is perfect for me and while I'm not the best SC player in the world (more like the worst), Sophitia never fails to give me a few wins here and there!

It should go without saying that Sophitia is my favorite SC character and I'm so loyal to her that I literally will NOT play a SC game if she's not in it! She's my favorite for several reasons, some more personal than others. I love how unwavering and wise she is as well as kind and altruistic! Sophitia actually reminds me of my late mother in a way. Also fun fact: Her birthday (March 12) is ten days after mine (March 2)! All the more reason to love her!

Here's my second main!

cassandra-soulcalibur6-story-portrait-artwork-by-hiroaki.jpg

Cassandra Alexandra! The younger of the Alexandra sisters!

Just like Sophitia, I was immediately drawn to Cassandra and started using her immediately! However I'm not as good at using Cassandra because I don't train with her as often as her older sister but I do like how much more aggressive she feels compared to her!

The main thing I love about Cassandra is her fieriness! She's what I aspire to be and I actually used to try and emulate her a lot as a kid which had comedic results to say the least. I also love how close Cassandra is with Sophitia which reminds me of my younger siblings and I :)

Setsuka is my main since SC3.

The most badass videogame female after Jill Valentine. Love the Iaido style of combat and she has it all plus tons of style with her umbrella as well. She is also a babe, which helps!!! She HATES Mitsurugi, which I do as well and she is pretty neutral and wise from her SC5 story teaching orphaned kids martial arts including Patroklos and her SC6 story.

Jill Valentine from Biohazard, Setsuka from Soulcalibur and Leila from Rolling Thunder (also by Namco) are my favorite females from videogames.

I have many secondaries in the Soul Series.

I like Hwang, Yoshimitsu, Rock, Raphael, Ivy, Amy and Algol a lot and also Cassandra, Sophitia, Zasalamel and Li Long.

Soul Series have plenty of rich character (sans SC5, FUCK THAT GAME) and I wish we have more canon newcomers.

Groh is awesome and I don't like Azwel at all but he has earned a spot with the fanbase as a witty villain.

I may as well talk about my main.

Voldo: I just flat out love this guy. Arguably one of the most unique and interesting characters in the series and fighting games in general. He is the loyal right hand man and treasure guardian of his deceased master Vercci. As controversial as his design is, I still like it. Voldo houses one of the most unique movesets and among the most unique weaponry with dual katars/jamadhars, and with some of best reach and evasiveness within his gameplay. Competitively, the character has maintained quite a positive rep within every game (often a sleeper pick sometimes). He’s the character within fictional media that I would define as my “spirit animal.”

My secondaries within the franchise generally include: Mitsurugi, Cassandra, Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Aeon/Lizardman, Tira, Raphael, Cervantes, Algol, Maxi, Dampierre, Patroklos, and Nightmare. I’m not really that good with either of them and have generally reserved them for casual matches.

I may as well talk about my main.

Voldo: I just flat out love this guy. Arguably one of the most unique and interesting characters in the series and fighting games in general. He is the loyal right hand man and treasure guardian of his deceased master Vercci. As controversial as his design is, I still like it. Voldo houses one of the most unique movesets and among the most unique weaponry with dual katars/jamadhars, and with some of best reach and evasiveness within his gameplay. Competitively, the character has maintained quite a positive rep within every game (often a sleeper pick sometimes). He’s the character within fictional media that I would define as my “spirit animal.”

My secondaries within the franchise generally include: Mitsurugi, Cassandra, Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Aeon/Lizardman, Tira, Raphael, Cervantes, Algol, Maxi, Dampierre, Patroklos, and Nightmare. I’m not really that good with either of them and have generally reserved them for casual matches.
Voldo always creeped me out especially when I was a kid! But that didn't stop me from trying to imitate him and walk around like him LOL! Yeah the end results are just what you would expect and yes they were hilarious.

I hate his old school scrubbiness with 2KB and how some old folks (back at SC1-SC2 times at the arcade) thought they were hot shit when they were doing knockdown mixup resets with 33B/2KB.

Just plain cheap scrub shit.

Is good that Namco wisened up to his bullshit from SC4 forwards.

Mitsu is still one of the few characters in the series that have managed to stay consistently solid, alongside the likes of Cervy and Voldo.

I hate his old school scrubbiness with 2KB and how some old folks (back at SC1-SC2 times at the arcade) thought they were hot shit when they were doing knockdown mixup resets with 33B/2KB.

Just plain cheap scrub shit.

Is good that Namco wisened up to his bullshit from SC4 forwards.
All characters have something like that. Sophitia is FAR worse trust me

I chose Taki, because:
Ninjas are cool af.
I like being fast... and she's the fastest.
2 weapons are better than 1.
She is hot.
Anime power.
And i really like Ninjas.
Was mildly irritated by Natsu replacing her, but Natsu grew on me fast, she's a Ninja after all, and cute too.
Now Taki is back and cooler than ever.
Her CE is a nuke.
And she has so much other crazy stuff.

I remember playing the arcade version of SE, and I chose Sophitia because of her blue shield (I like the colour blue) and Cassandra in SC2. However, I don't consider them my true main because I was pretty much a button masher back then. It wasn't until SC3 and SC4 when I finally stopped being a button masher and this time I chose Amy because I liked her Gothic Lolita inspired design fast attacks as well as rapiers.

Cervantes, 2 main reasons:
  • Incredible story; his struggle to return to power at any cost, but then his eventual freedom from Soul Edge's grip in SC5. His motivations to turn to piracy after his father's death, losing his mind to soul edge and having his soul robbed from him, being motivated by nothing more than whispers and memories of soul edge.
  • His moveset; it's like a manifestation of his story and character, where he throws everything into his moves. There's a mix of intimidation and finesse in his pokes, but also almost a sense of 'desperation' and 'frustration' in the way he all out swings his weapons and screams bloody murder for his 'bigger' more unsafe moves (lol I'm definitely reading too much into this).

His character is so befitting of the series too I think, a healthy mix of historical relevance (a corsario) and fantasy (undead).

All characters have something like that. Sophitia is FAR worse trust me
I use Sophitia and SC3 console was her best and most unbalanced version but that version of SC3 was trash anyway.

So no, Mitsurugi is cheaper and always has been (cheaper as in ease of use compared to his effective tools)

I use Sophitia and SC3 console was her best and most unbalanced version but that version of SC3 was trash anyway.

So no, Mitsurugi is cheaper and always has been (cheaper as in ease of use compared to his effective tools)
Nothing wrong with an easy to use character. If there aren't characters that are good for beginners, then it turns people away. It's not the character that's the issue. It's the players. Mitsurugi is always easy for me to fight since most people who use him use the same shit over and over again

• Was looking to play fighting games on gamecube. Played smash and mained Link.

• Heard that Link was going to be a guest character in this really anticipated game that was a sequel to one of the highest rated games (not just fighting game) ever. Looking at the trailer, my attention is instantly captured by this demon-knight swinging around a giant sword that stares right back at me. I knew immediately this was the iconic boss who was going to be super powerful. Animation was fluid and beautiful (better than anything i've ever seen before), unlike the key-frame animation approach of a 2d fighter.

• Visited the Soulcalibur.com site and the first character's profile was Mitsurugi and I quickly figured out he was the Ryu of the series (too bland for me). Back then the profiles would just have a small picture plus some backstory.

• Saw a western swordsman, so I thought this was going to be a re-skinned Mitsurugi ala Ken. Probably slightly less boring. Another video trailer finished downloading, so my attention turns to opening it up.

• In another gameplay trailer I see the demon knight being challenged by a fencer, which I expected Nightmare to completely massacre him. To my surprise the Fencer was actually holding his own despite having only a thin rapier up against the superboss character. I realized that this was the "Ken" I initially dismissed thinking he was going to animate exactly like a samurai.

• I go back to SoulCalibur.com to read about this character, and realize that not only was he key to SC2 storyline. he wasn't even a clear-cut moral protagonist which intrigues me.

• Read up on gamefaqs a bit and it turns out this character's moveset includes bullet-time style dodges, so now that really intrigues me.

• Bojack's SC2 Raph guide was written in a way that was cheeky enough to make me want to work on mastering the character.

My most used are Siegfried and Hilde, I like badass armors, my favourites are the sciv versions of these two characters. Also I love Siegfried's style, I love the range his sword has and many of his moves like stomping on the ground and the dropkick. I like Hilde because she is attractive without being fanservicey and her ending in sciv is so good because it shows how noble she is.:sc4sig1::sc4hil1:

Back