Why does Algol get alot of crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly the problem I'm describing. It's not hard for the Algol player to focus on your rolling and teleport as soon as you do it.

I still think this is unrealistic. I play online against an Algol who knows my Yoda pretty well now.

Key word: online.

I understand the matchup being near impossible online, but I'm talking about offline. It's much easier to time attacks and rolls offline to get in on Algol. There's a tournament coming up this weekend with some matches being recorded. If i face the Algol player I might use Yoda just so that you guys can see what I'm talking about.

sword_lord: Compared to most characters Algol has a crappy close range game, due to no good mid low mixups and a shitty throw range.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm by no means saying Algol vs. Yoda is easy for Yoda, it's just very do-able.

I don't really have a huge problem with him, but bubbles are kinda dumb. If I wanted to play a game with fireballs I'd go buy SF4.

we'll have to agree to disagree on that one Oof. Atl knows what's up with Algol and his close range beastliness; it's the meat of my playstyle with him, but I won't give details, just wait for atl regional vids. no one plays him right, that's why yall say he shouldn't be banned. in all my vids where I use him, I'm not playin him right either, but I do now. Algol isn't unbeatable, but does a character really need to be completely unbeatable to be called broken? Way better than all the other characters except Hilde isn't enough?

we'll have to agree to disagree on that one Oof. Atl knows what's up with Algol and his close range beastliness; it's the meat of my playstyle with him, but I won't give details, just wait for atl regional vids. no one plays him right, that's why yall say he shouldn't be banned.

he's banned at regionals. lol

Oofmatic:
is algol really "bad" at close range vs yoda? what moves in particular mess up? I heard 2B+K does so that's out the window. stuff like 2A, 3K, 2K, 1K, and BB can still hit yoda right?

You'd think the game's best BB would give Algol a serious, serious edge on Yoda up close.

Yoda can roll under Algol's BB.

The only reason people consider Algol's BB to be the best, is because of the range, and because of that it gives characters more trouble at mid range than close range. There are characters with faster BB's that can give others more trouble up close than Algol's.

Oofmatic:
is algol really "bad" at close range vs yoda? what moves in particular mess up? I heard 2B+K does so that's out the window. stuff like 2A, 3K, 2K, 1K, and BB can still hit yoda right?
Up close Yoda has more mixup potential then Algol in this matchup. All Algol has are some not very threatening mids and low pokes that you mentioned, which Yoda can avoid by jumping over, which most of his attacks do.

Meanwhile Yoda has throws, mids that put him in mixup positions to keep the offense, and some low pokes. Yoda just has more to work with to keep the offense going than Algol does.

he's banned at regionals. lol
huh? wait, so you mean I'm actually going to have to try? I coulda sworn folks were saying he's allowed at regionals. let me check......

edit: ok, looks like you're right. that makes me happy and sad. sad cause i woulda likely gotten 1st at regionals and not had to pay for shit, but now it'll be tougher. that's good tho, he should be banned at all tourneys. Or like I said countless times, just ban the bubble shield.

anywayz then, Algol is a beast at close range mainly because of 2B+K (which does a shit load of damage). You can just do that shit, over and over, and over and over again. If someone blocks it, do it again, especially at tip range, and that shit hurts guard too. Make people think you're gonna do it again so they do a quick attack to stop it, you block it, then do it again. Or, 2B+K, backstep, 2B+K, backstep. Then you force folks to never ever duck against his ass or attack at disadvantage, then you grab, and his grabs are great. So I play him like a buffed up Astaroth at close range. Yes, you can step 2B+K, but that's not really a good idea to anticipate and step Algol. And you can't GI him, you'll only get hurt. He's got other good shit at close range also, but that's all u really need up close. I use about all his moves, but that move is bread and butter. Then he's got his mid-range beastliness, and then his long range beastliness. He's too much of a beast, and that's why he's banned. None of the close range and mid range shit is broke tho, just the bubbles. I'll use him in some casuals at final round and record it.

Yeah his grab mixup is kinda better than Asta's at point blank range, mostly because Asta doesn't have particularly good mids to beat flinch ducking. Asta can do 66K but that's about it, nothing gives him a combo unless it's too slow to be used for mixup well. Only problem is that because of the small range on algol's grabs, backstep G could get out of his throw mixups easier than versus Asta.

oofmatic:
makes sense

ok here i am a very good algol player, i find him to be the bad ass killer character for the following reasons: [other than bubble spam]
1 - teleportation helps u to get out of a lot of hard situations especially flame moves and getting away from edge.
2 - he has a move regardless how far the guys is as long an enemy is moving back u can catch him in ur chair and hit him, this breaks a lot of ppls combos as they need to move back to keep distance.
3 - can easily ring other ppl out with far range from both front and back side with both high or low moves. basically anything make them fall on ground u can shoot the ball low to lift them up then do slide AB to ring out.
4 - has a very fast vertical long distance move, 1B, he hits with soul edge and at same time he moves far forwards, this can catch most of those moves where they auto moves back and hit. for instance mitsu, 4B. also kilik xianghua cerv yoshi, yunseong all have these kind of moves.
5 - algol can jump very high and very far, with 8A+K and 41236, can be helpful lots of times.
overall - i find him to be a very balanced or rather describe as all around multi-purpose char, good to counter many chars, with decent dmg, attack range, ring out distance, speed of combos.
last 2 things: his low moves arent as bad as many ppl thinks coz i personally dont find probs with his low moves, they are decent as well, and he has a easy special that does higher dmg than usual grab and its easy to execute.

Well sir, you just thread-necro'd a 2 year old thread.

Regardless, Algol has been banned in tournament play for the past 2 years. That mostly has to do with the reason he gets crap now.
Also, if Bubbles comes in and starts complaining up a storm, I swear to buddah I will close this thread.

-Idle

reply to idlemind.
i know but as i just opened account on this forum i just wanted to post anything see how it works. ofc if i post i wont post a blanked page...

2nd thing i dont see any reason that bubble thing is relevant here to get in to conversation as i clarified, i only listed my opinion on what i like about him "[OTHER THAN BUBBLES]". i did not mention anything about it here in my post to get that topic started...

noobic

'Bubbles' is WARUI NE - the most well known Algol on 8way.
Having read your post, I'm pretty much certain you're not 'a very good Algol', as you touched on one of his strengths, didn't mention most and consider situational and often suicidal stuff general tools. Even so, I'd like to see you on video, post a couple up man!
Btw, welcome to 8way!

The main reason I say you don't know what you're talking about is this: you called a character who is banned competitively worldwide, who has infinite combos (character specific but still existent) balanced? LMAO!

reply to synraii:
you clearly didnt understand what i meant then.
the guy started this tread by asking why algol is banned, he would understand why hilde is banned coz he experienced how bad ass it can be. but he doesnt understand why algol is over powered. as he said he never came across a good algol and therefore he thought it d be easy to deal with. so here i clarified even without mentioning this thing that ppl get sick about [the bubbles] i still listed 5 other reasons why he is over powered. really no offense you and previous guy who replied me neither of u read my post properly. pls read it well then say afterwards.

noobic

I've played quite a few Hilde's but I've NEVER come across a good Algol player. What's Algol have that is driving people mad?

A lot of good reasons have been listed. But let's not forget the most serious and pertinent of them all. That haircut. It's somewhere between Chipp Zanuff, Ted Kazinsky and Emmet Brown.

angol_sciv_reve1223aled_0001.jpg

"Marty, We've got to get you... BACK TO THE FUTURE!"

The main reason I say you don't know what you're talking about is this: you called a character who is banned competitively worldwide, who has infinite combos (character specific but still existent) balanced? LMAO!
yoshi has infinites

infinites don't = broken tekken 5 lee chaolin had an infinite and he was still ass tier

he gets flack for many reasons
bubbles are boring to deal with
he looks hella stupid
looks brainlessly easy
plays like a flow chart

no one with any merit on this site still thinks hes over powered infact most think hes A tier.
his ban is a case of the necrid rule. "who cares necrid is stupid and lame GTFO"

also no offense noobically_sane but most of the moves you listed are either A useless or B too situational or gimmicky

for instance 4B+K "the chair" Why would you move backwards away from algol anyway? For most match ups thats what he wants
8A+K is pretty much useless all the follow ups get GI'd on reaction
1B is great but not for the reason you mentioned, 1B is great because you can fish for whiffs using his back dash and punish said whiff hard
the teleport is meh its usable but its not my favorite thing in the world because you can get punished hard if they look for it

Synraii...it's a new poster, if you find character ignorance, have some class in explaining it. Don't mock them for their perspective. It takes time to grasp a game at different levels of play and a certain amount of info may justify a conclusion till new info is handed to them. Also your response literally offered no counter point beside saying "you're wrong".

Welcome to 8way noobically insane. While you may have listed aspects of Algol, those don't 'break' the character. Broken often refers to an over exploitation of the games mechanics, making other characters drastically disadvantaged. If there are reasonable answers in terms of application and reward it can off set a strength. Hilde is broke because C3A is a constant threat that beats almost all attacks safely even on disadvantage and allows her to abuse doom combo further, making it so all other characters must play overly safe for small rewards and make several correct reads while she only needs one. As well she can safely "fish" for a TOD. Algol does not share these characteristics. The only issues I heard on banning Algol was some characters have issues getting in on bubble spam/teleport runaway and him having an infinite (or something close). So if we have characters that have no movement to get passed bubble spam and it's a game of wait for Algol to fuck up, that is room for debate. If Algol has an infinite, that room for debate. But set up to these tactics is also a factor and Algols infinite is not as easy to set up as Hilde Doom combo so it is argued that it's your fault for walking into it like an RO.

Can someone with more Algol knowledge elaborate on those 2 points, to prove or disprove them? (BTW I did not support Algol ban, just that his infinite be banned in the past and even then I wasn't strongly pushing for it)

Since no one else will

bubble spam is easy to shut down as anyone there is a universal anti bubble, step left GI(algols left) What this does is it GIs the 4A+B so that he cannot do anything but block while dodging any vertical bubbles he sends if he does another 4(A+B) he will get nailed
teleport spam/runaway isnt really an issue because he teleports within talim BB range no biggie
algols infinite has more issues then just how hard it is to setup
how to setup:http://www.8wayrun.com/threads/algol-guide-by-warui.7046/ in there under the combos section
aside from those issues the infinites have a random glitch that allows you to air control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back