Yoshimitsu General Discussion

11A is very good if uses rarely. it has decent evasive props and great reach and just looks cool. Its great addition to yoshi game. OyM uses it very well. But if you spam it's easy to punish for your opp...

Divine Truth (REF A+B) comes out faster than initially thought. Im trying to apply post successful GI. This would only work (At least for me) squaring off against people who are overly aggressive however. I'll take a free 80 dmg reg. hit off a counter move any day :D

I cant figure out how to get iron fist possesion moves out.. how do you do the flaming upercutt and stuff like that?

question: is their any good time to do T5 7B+K?

Correction: It's T5 8K. I imagine 7_9 is also okay. No other buttons necessary.

I find the best time to do it is if your opponent is freezing up on you during wakes. It also helps if your opponent has no idea what the move does. On a side note, the move hits twice. Once in the way up, and once on the way down. The first hit can sometimes catch step, but I'm not positive which side(s). The second hit comes out late enough that the opponent has to guess whether you're going to do it, too. So, it makes for an okay, silly gimmick.

Does anyone have any tips on Ear-slicer on the controller (360). I try and I try and i can only get it 20% of the time,

- I'de rather not change my controls around, I prefer them as they are originally.

hey fellas, a few quick questions:

how do i punish ducked throws the best? 6K2K?
and, what are Yoshis best options post-GI? 4B, throws and 6K2K?
how important is iMCF, RCC, iMCF? if the first iMCF is blocked, shouldn´t the opponent be able to get a 2A or something in between? or is it a frametrap?

6K2K is a good punish for ducked throws
4B, throws are 6K2K are good options post GI

considering that iMCF is i9 and -6 on block, iMCF RCC iMCF would beat moves i17 or slower (RCC eats up one frame)
2A is 14 or 13 frames for most characters.

therefore it isn't very important, you have much better setups for iMCF

I would agree with tresto. there ARE times when i'll do iMCF, FC MCF... and even tho FC MCF is shakeable you can still apply pressure using all of Yoshi's arsenal.

and, what are Yoshis best options post-GI? 4B, throws and 6K2K?

If the clock is working in your favor, T4, ST3, and ST9 are also great options.

how important is iMCF, RCC, iMCF? if the first iMCF is blocked, shouldn´t the opponent be able to get a 2A or something in between? or is it a frametrap?

considering that iMCF is i9 and -6 on block, iMCF RCC iMCF would beat moves i17 or slower (RCC eats up one frame)
2A is 14 or 13 frames for most characters.

therefore it isn't very important, you have much better setups for iMCF

Theoretically the opponent can interrupt the next iMCF. In reality, no one can is going to react fast enough to interrupt the second one. In this particular situation, you can't just count the frames and assume the opponent gets a free hit every time they block iMCF. If that were the case, just as an example, Cervy's B2 gimmick (fast, disadvantage on block, but can be spammable against people who don't react in time) on block wouldn't be so effective against people who aren't familiar with it.

Anyways to answer your question, think of more technical setups this way....The more you prove to your opponents that you can pull out iMCF from anywhere, the scarier you become in their mind. They learn they can't just attack you randomly. You eventually force your opponent into a more defensive game, which allows you start tapping into Tekken UBs, a heavier throw game, and fake out iMCF setups.

So, imo, if you have time to put into it, it'll pay off in the end. It does require a great deal of effort, though.

True, proving to your opponent that you can do iMCF consistently is pretty good.
There more I learn about Yoshi (as a secondary character... so not going too fast), the more I realize that iMCF is maybe less useful in itself that the fear of it.

RCC iMCF is pretty hard to do though, even if you can do normal iMCF easily. (this is my case ^^)

thanks for the great info guys!
i have started to notice that people start to turtle a lot more now that i´ve got the iMCF down pretty decently.
i still have trouble taking advantage of that tho, the only damage i land is from frametraps/CH or iFC3K mostly.
and if someone has solid defense i´m a bit screwed.
working the T4 UB in to my game might help that.
well, thanks again!

Tresto: While I wouldn't say iMCF is useless, I do agree that it feels less useful as time goes on. That's what finding new setups and mastering RCC iMCF is about, though. =) A setup I've been abusing for the past couple months is 3A, iMCF. There's a bonus to that if you can hit check CH 3A on sight.

flask: Are you getting punished because of their solid defense? What are you primarily doing to get damage once you've forced them to turtle?

Hajime : sure, iMCF is useful. I just feel that I get more advantage from opponents fearing it (ie. not being very aggressive upclose because I've shown I can do it consistently) than actual damage landing it. This lets me throw a lot because they kind of freeze from fear of iMCF. But as you say, I haven't really worked on iMCF setups either.

flask : Yoshi has good throws ! Use them !

Yoshi has a move when he does his taunt you know the one where he throws his hands outwerd and saids namu.... Its a two part move..,how do you do the kick part?????????

Tresto: I agree there's a lot of advantage gained from creating fear of iMCF, but what about your opponent starts getting aggressive and you need to pull out iMCF to make them back off again? I think in the end, it's best to be able to switch gears quickly to deal with both defensive and offensive opponents. Eventually they decide you're not going to iMCF anymore and that's when you get to start pulling it out again. =)

Rayikin: Yeah, 214A+G has a shorter break window, but it gives you a slightly crappier Oki position. So, I'd say it's really personal preference, since 214A+G does deal more damage as well.

Back