Z.W.E.I. General Discussion/Q&A

I played ZWEI in every match at Evo. I went 4-2, making it out of my pool in winner's and ending up top 48. However, I only won two matches with ZWEI, both in my first set of the tournament. Every other match, I had to switch to my main to get the win. I got a lot of compliments on my ZWEI, and I think I'm pretty good with him (almost beat Xeph on stream at MLG last month), but that didn't mean I got wins with him.

ZWEI is not good, and the fact that you clearly state that he has to put in a lot more effort than most other characters mean you understand that fact. Even Belial didn't use ZWEI from what little I saw of his matches. You have to wonder why that was since he's one of the few people that actually thinks he's good.
Personally man I just dunno anymore.....I really don't wanna be negative especially to newcomers with zwei but they have to understand what there dealing with when using zwei and against someone with matchup knowledge on him...It's true belial probably felt he had a better chance to win with mitsurugi at EVO..which I don't blame him at all since zwei has alot of bad matchups :/ When I play and win with zwei I use 0 gimmicks none. Because i keep telling myself the gimmicks won't really work on an experienced player (4A hold,1B hold,3AA,66BA). This is really stretching it but I always felt against asta vs zwei the matchup is only slightly in asta's favor or dead even....but this is really putting alot of of emphasis and pressure on the zwei player..not only does he have to just guard 44(A) and 4(B) at will but he has to guess hella alot more than astaroth, not to mention asta gets a way better risk/reward than zwei does. Also gotta make good reads with 6A+B against his bullrush,4B, gotta anticipate the throws yeah not really fun......

But me and u both know his weaknesses very well so im not surprised if he gets called a bad char...since well I know what he struggles at....on paper,frames, just seems zwei is just "bad" but man something in my gut tells me someone is gonna step out and prove alot of people wrong with him, I will never know when that day will come or if it ever comes. I use other chars so even if I wouldn't do well with zwei at tourneys (if i was going) I can use several other chars like yoshi,maxi,siegfried,nightmare,xiba,cervantes or a few more. Heck if u saw me, lasercakes or saion89 who I consider good zwei players (maybe a few others on here) perhaps u see things just a bit more differently...I dunno I just hope someone like belial responds to this Pm and perhaps he can tell me whats his future thoughs on zwei and what he thinks about him now. But I do understand where you're coming from tho and no matter what well am still gonna play him and have him as my main because I have fun with him in the end despite the outcomes.

From what ive seen to perform good with zwei on a high level playing field you gotta be on point with what your up against eg- stepping, ducking, JGing and 2A/2K correctly against strings and set-ups to keep up the pressure and damage consistent throughout the entire match. I think he is a good character combined with the knowledge to counter accordingly and to take advantage of the mind games. Yes he is much more effort to use than most characters which would throw people off from using him, however i still stick to these words- its about the player not the character :)

What redeeming features does Z.W.E.I. have, if any?
He is mainly a trick(Gimmick) character IMO. I find that I spend most of my time either rushing down or trying to setup a "this could happen one way or the other. If it goes well It does a good amount of damage. If it goes badly I will lose almost all of my health." Zwei is not a very good character when you are fighting someone who knows the matchup.

Yeah, Z.W.E.I. in general has potential even more than Viola does for being OP or even outright broken, but still the current patch has him at some annoying disadvantages.

Hey guys kinda a random post from me well not really...But gratz to that tira player who pretty much proved everyone wrong if they thought she was a bad char....but not here to talk about that really.
If I recall correctly there were hardly any Zwei players at EVO..or any..I feel the consensus on zwei is people may either say he's really bad or in the long run people have better chances of winning by picking another char...Just disappointed there weren't alot of zwei or heck even raph players...I shall laugh the day a zwei or perhaps anyone bottom tier places well in a tourney haha but I don't believe zwei is all that bad its just to me people are not interested in using him....or they don't wanna put the effort to win with him at all....because it does REQUIRE alot of effort to win with zwei against others char such as taking a chance for CH (1B comes into mind same for 6A) just guard because he lacks block punishment pretty much like viola and finally 6A+B to Gi mids for 40 damage, although the window is tight on it.

Just hope in the future we will see more zwei players at events such as EVO. As much as I would wanna go not happy with this game and haven't saved up enough money to travel....maybe one day I can fight some of you guys in some offline casuals haha

Well said! Z.W.E.I. requires a lot more effort to win a match compared to most of the other characters, hmm... some vague déjà vu.

Edit: And Zwei is way cooler then anything Twilight related/Jacob! (>*^*)

46e.gif

What redeeming features does Z.W.E.I. have, if any?
He's a char that has one of the best throws in the game in my opinion.
Also, he does a great amount of damage when you manage to counter your opponent and punish them. For ex, if you manage to hit them with B+K, use 4B and then quickly use 1K BE, and end it with A+B for 101-103 damage (tested on Viola). *Your opponent can sometimes avoid 1K BE by ukemi.
Zwei isn't a char that's easy to use. He requires lots of patience and I'm starting to think that gimmicks isn't very good in his case if your opponent starts learning them. So good reads is essential for Zwei to counter and unleash his own fury. After that, try your best to keep the pressure going since Zwei is good at that.

I saw two ZWEI matches at EVO. One I'm pretty sure was a norcal player vs. AkazukinChaCha. The other I didn't recognize in person so maybe that might've been DrDogg. There is a video of a MM set featuring ZWEI from Sora's YouTube channel, but I wasn't there for that and it wasn't in the tourney. But yeah, not a lot of representation really.

Seeing Tira win EVO makes you want to take "low-tier" and underutilized characters and make them beasts. The problem with ZWEI, like people have said, is you have to invest a lot of time learning him and work harder than other characters that have a safer movelist.

I think in order to make ZWEI strong, his entire movelist has to be explored and utilized. You have to know all of his punishers and when to use them, know all of his okizeme options, everything defensive and offensive.

I liken him to being the SCIV Zasalamel of SCV. It takes a good player like OmegaDR to take a character that needs special attention and a new mindset and make that character work. I'm glad that Belial put together that guide, more work needs to be done.

I liken him to being the SCIV Zasalamel of SCV. It takes a good player like OmegaDR to take a character that needs special attention and a new mindset and make that character work. I'm glad that Belial put together that guide, more work needs to be done.
Funny that you say that. Zas was my 4 main XD
EDIT: I am No longer ShinsokuGai! Finally got around to asking to have my name changed!

Here's my match against Xeph at MLG.

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/events/17-spring-championship#1427/1579/1;90241

I missed out on some damage here and there because my first match was on stage against one of the best players at the event, but you can see what happens against someone who doesn't know ZWEI well.

Keep in mind, I beat Xeph in the first match, and had a solid showing in the second match, but I couldn't touch most of the players at Evo. My match against Shen is on YouTube and he just slaughtered me when I used ZWEI.

The player makes a difference, but at the highest level of play, ZWEI is low tier. I don't even understand how people can argue that.

Here's my match against Xeph at MLG.

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/events/17-spring-championship#1427/1579/1;90241

I missed out on some damage here and there because my first match was on stage against one of the best players at the event, but you can see what happens against someone who doesn't know ZWEI well.

Keep in mind, I beat Xeph in the first match, and had a solid showing in the second match, but I couldn't touch most of the players at Evo. My match against Shen is on YouTube and he just slaughtered me when I used ZWEI.

The player makes a difference, but at the highest level of play, ZWEI is low tier. I don't even understand how people can argue that.
Pretty much everyone can agree zwei is low tier...heck even I think so I mean just compare his risk/reward and his tools.....but me im not gonna stop that from letting me use him tho...and yeah cervantes is just brutal to go up against. Anyway good showing at EVO atleasts u used zwei and represented him...In the end I just want project soul to redesign and finish him since I feel he is an unfinished char. Makes no sense why he is so unsafe the game was just rushed and project soul rushed zwei.

I guess at this point most people have realized that Zwei is a weak character.
It is actually not hard to tell If you play this game competitively, even though in the beginning there were people trying to say otherwise.

I have heard the following a couple of times:
"He needs more effort to win" (or similar phrases)
Correct! That means in VERY simple words that he is weaker than other characters.

However, this thing that I like about SCV is that you don't see some ridiculous matchups that we once experienced in SCIV. Personally I think that despite some very bad matchups (Algol, Cervantes, Natsu come to mind atm), Zwei has a decent chance against every character in the game. In other words it is possible even for Zwei to win a major tournament.

I don't think ZWEI needs something as drastic as a redesign. Making his range better and his moves safer will make him a much better character.

I guess at this point most people have realized that Zwei is a weak character.
It is actually not hard to tell If you play this game competitively, even though in the beginning there were people trying to say otherwise.

I have heard the following a couple of times:
"He needs more effort to win" (or similar phrases)
Correct! That means in VERY simple words that he is weaker than other characters.

However, this thing that I like about SCV is that you don't see some ridiculous matchups that we once experienced in SCIV. Personally I think that despite some very bad matchups (Algol, Cervantes, Natsu come to mind atm), Zwei has a decent chance against every character in the game. In other words it is possible even for Zwei to win a major tournament.
Yeah I agree with that because like in soul calibur 4 - a impossible matchup would be something like Rock vs Amy. In soul calibur 5 every character has a chance.

Back