Zasalamel General Discussion

Minerva_SC

[09] Warrior
So how about that Zas....

Pretty crazy guy, sweet combo's.....not enough lows though imo.....this thread may turn into discusiion about said individual, who knows!

Haha, Zasalamel is one of my "to try out" guys, but really I hear mixed messages with him. People argue that once you get his tricks (I guess that means the secondary hits and draws) he's a textbook fight :/

You guys are up for a big surprise if you think Zas is bad this time around.

People are so accustomed to playing him like he played in SC3 or SC3AE that they immediately dismiss him when they see that his old abusable moves aren't as abusable anymore. What you don't see is that he is literally(imo) better than he has been in any of the SCs he's been in. He has so many fast/safe hidden frame traps thats its ridiculous. He doesn't need too many lows. The fact that he's always in his good grab range after draw-in is reason enough to scare people into ducking.

His whole strat in this game is to draw you into close range. He's a human vacuum. And 6B+K, 6AB, 4A, and a couple of other drags garentee a frame trap with KK. Also, his BT [B+K] combos and mindgames are really good.

The point I'm making is that Zas is obviously not bad. But just very different this time around. He forces you to play a guessing game everytime you get dragged in(even on block), and that in itself assures he'll rack up the damage before you even notice. BB4 -> BB4 is uninterruptable on hit against anyone without a i10. That in itself is awesome. Anyone who wants to see Zasal's potential send me a friend request on xbox live, I'll be more than glad to show you some stuff.

... he is literally(imo) better than he has been in any of the SCs he's been in. He has so many fast/safe hidden frame traps thats its ridiculous. He doesn't need too many lows. The fact that he's always in his good grab range after draw-in is reason enough to scare people into ducking.

His whole strat in this game is to draw you into close range. He's a human vacuum....

The point I'm making is that Zas is obviously not bad. But just very different this time around....

I used to play Zas in SC3 also and man you are absolutely right ... he's very different than in the past but it seems to me that the change is for the better.

I haven't worked with him too much yet since I've been too busy messing with sieg, amy, and hilde but I think I'm gonna sit down later and give him a real whirl ... maybe we can fill Zas's section up with some actual info...

I like using Zas, I think the drawing stuff gives him a unique style and it can be rattling to an opponent to get dragged around like a ragdoll.

Also his ending owns and I want the suit as DLC.

you guys seriously think Zas is good in this game? most of his moves that actually do any damage are extremely unsafe on guard, he doesn't do a ton of damage, and he's a little on the slow side. As for mixups, his throws are WEAK, they dont' even do 50 damage. His lows are pretty bad. 2K is good because it's basically like everyone else's 2K so you should use it a lot. 1AB is kinda neat but blockable on reaction easily. all his other lows are negative even on counterhit and more unsafe than 1AB is.

do you realize that even with SAFE on guard moves like 66BB and 2B4, he pulls you in so close that they get a free mixup on Zas anyway? a mixup at point blank range after those things isn't a pretty thing for zas. imagine astaroth blocking one of those moves, he'd be giddy with joy at the free throw mixup

now don't get me wrong, I don't think he's hopeless. he has some pretty good zoning stuff and his reverse RO is amazing. In general though he is just seriously lacking compared to most of the other characters.

Ya after some more time with Zas I've basically put him up on my "just for fun casual play" shelf

I noticed the same thing as tiamat with the draw in combos namely BB4 or 2B4, etc. You're pulling in the opponent to a range that may be more of a danger than a benefit to you since Zas's move's up close aren't all that anyway. I try to keep the space between me and the opponent shifting from mid to close range and even find myself trying to push away sometimes to setup a 4A counter combo or something similar.

Ah well, he's fun but I guess just not my thing this time around.

44A has much better tracking than 4A, heavily recommend using it as an alternative

He is alright, I agree with Tiamat that he does have few good damage options that are safe. He does have a few frame traps like 6AB and 6B+K, but they are easy to identify and high.

My biggest problem is that I find myself being too patient with Zasalamel I can't find his safe moves that are either very good on block or have enough knockback to to force people to away from him.

You are basing his ability on theory. When Zas pulls you in that creates a mindgame for the opponent.

To an extent B+K, 2K, throw and KK with stop just about everything close range. Moves with guard stun like 6AB gives even more frames to do moves like 6A+B and BB.

So when you are pulling them in, you arent necessarily trying to utilize his close range moves as much as you are trying to play with their head. In fact, I find that strong pressure causes your opponent to try and "beat out" your moves, making for easy counter hits. The other group just stands there and freezes up.

Zas is bad for trying to regain the advantage so you have to stay on top of them. Harassing them for much of the round.

My biggest problem is that I find myself being too patient with Zasalamel I can't find his safe moves that are either very good on block or have enough knockback to to force people to away from him.

you can never be too patient, only too passive

4B+K is a good move to force people away from him on guard, and it gives a combo on counterhit. technically not safe but extremely difficult to punish

4B+K is very safe Tiamat. But its slow at close range. But its definitely unpunishable on block.

Its -16 and that means free Sophie step.
Pushback might safe him from most other punishers, though, even Cassies deathfist.

Sophitia is a COMPLETELY different case. lol

Cass could punish Zasalamel's 4B+K in SC3.

I really wish Zas had a stronger close game. I mean his little pokes, 2k, kk, bk are nice, but for a guy who's entire game revolves around sucking people into your grill he's rather lacking in the close combat department.

i wish he had a better close range too. he needs more fast close range attacks, which is the reason y i lose with him most times

Weird talk in this thread...

Zasalamel is not my fun character, he's my cheap character for when I want to win.
I don't know what to tell you, I'm sure that some of you tried several things with him and are better players than me in general.
But I'm a slightly-above-average player, fighting average players in general, so it might explain why I do so well with him. Or did, when I wasn't sick of playing what I think is a disgustingly strong and underestimated character.

I'm saying that maybe his potential is not that good when you fight some of the best players, which would explain why nobody here seems to think he's near godmode...

Weird talk in this thread...

Zasalamel is not my fun character, he's my cheap character for when I want to win.
I don't know what to tell you, I'm sure that some of you tried several things with him and are better players than me in general.
But I'm a slightly-above-average player, fighting average players in general, so it might explain why I do so well with him. Or did, when I wasn't sick of playing what I think is a disgustingly strong and underestimated character.

I'm saying that maybe his potential is not that good when you fight some of the best players, which would explain why nobody here seems to think he's near godmode...

He isnt very good against players who are familiar with him. Against the noob spammers you fight consistantly on ranked, ect, he is the perfect counter. You cannot outspam Zas's BB4, for example, and I've got perfects on noobs because they continued to try and attack back.
Also his 66BB catches noobs, wont work on somebody experienced.
1AB - destroys noobs...easier for experienced people to recognize and punish.

I do also use Zas to crush people, but only when they have no idea what they are doing. Then he is by far the best selection in my opinion to deal with some of the tards you will face.

When I play people who DO know what they are doing, I find myself having a hard time getting hits on them.
Thus, Zas is reserved as my noob stomping character.

I'd argue that Zas isn't even particularly good when your opponent knows nothing about him. Honestly, he's not very tricky at all. No stance shenanigans, no auto-GIs, not many lows.

I just mean yeah he's good on people who don't know how to fight him, but what character isn't good against noobs? I can beat noobs with Rock if I want, does that mean anything? not really

Back