A Letter from Jaxel, Owner of 8WAYRUN

• Admin
You know, 8WAYRUN was launched about 2 weeks after the release of Soulcalibur IV. The community's previous home was having issues and we didn't know how much longer it would be around. We were taking a risk with 8WAYRUN; since it was community funded, we had no idea if it would be self-sustainable. About 6 months after the release of SC4 we became the de-facto hub for all things Soulcalibur.

At first we struggled, but overtime, as real advertisers came in, this website became more than self-sufficient. In fact, it was doing well enough that we were able to get our own dedicated server in preparation for the launch of Soulcalibur V. SC5 launched and since then there has been little to no downtime. 8WAYRUN remains self-sufficient and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Something a lot of you may not know, but a lot of the software for this website was written by me. In fact, except for the forum software and the skin itself, this entire website was built in house. The event system, ranking system, media library, the wiki, and even the way we handle spam bots and similar ilk have been boons for our community and have helped us become more feature rich than almost every other tournament community out there.

However, at the same time, most of the software I've made for 8WAYRUN has a modular design. I've been able to package them up and release them for free on the internet. Releasing the software to the public has allowed me to put a link back to 8WAYRUN on some of the biggest websites on the net. The result is that this website has one of the highest possible Google PageRanks to a simple forum.

But while the original purpose of releasing all this software for free to the public was to expand the reach of 8WAYRUN and increase it's PageRank, Soulcalibur has been declining in popularity. In fact, it has come to a point where the software I've written for 8WAYRUN is now more popular than 8WAYRUN itself. In addition, the advertising revenue keeping this website afloat is slowly coming down and will eventually meet the cost of our dedicated server.

Now don't get me wrong, I already said before that 8WAYRUN won't be going anywhere. If money became an issue, we would simply need to scale back to a virtual private server to cut costs. But either way, I now had to make a choice: I could scale back the server and keep things the status-quo, or I could use our extra resources to expand. I've decided to choose the latter rather than an inevitable bleed-out.

You should have noticed by now that these forums are now located on a "calibur" sub-domain. All the old links will continue to work; and with our routing system, they should always work. But new links all get forward to the new sub-domain. Its my intention to turn 8WAYRUN into not just a community for Soulcalibur, but a network of communities for many games; and not just fighting games either.

Why not use that extra revenue we are currently generating to help other communities that need it? I know there are a lot of communities out there that still run off free forums, or forums less accommodating for the tournament scene. Therefore, any community that is looking for a home, and can prove a minimum level of interest in their series will be welcome to join the 8WAYRUN collective. I will provide hosting, management, software and relative autonomy.

Turning 8WAYRUN into a network, will also give me the ability to offer a proper home to all the software I have made publicly available. Just let me know what kind of games you want to see join our family.

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
Is there a way I can chip in and NOT get some special status?

I can spare 20 bucks to help the site keep going no sweat. I just don't feel like I'd ever really use any of those features.

Is there a way I can chip in and NOT get some special status?

I can spare 20 bucks to help the site keep going no sweat. I just don't feel like I'd ever really use any of those features.

yeah but if you dont flaunt the special status, you dont advertise for it and less people will want to donate.

Can you make the sacrifice to take on the burden to enjoy the special features ?

it would probably be realistic if you put VF in. im not sure though i dont know much about that community but its a though.

it would probably be realistic if you put VF in. im not sure though i dont know much about that community but its a though.
agree with this, I think that the best direction is the underdog either VF or P4A. I see no point adding something like Tekken, MK, SF or shooters.

If you are going to do something fighting game related, then just make one generic site instead of trying to split people between sites with this network you are looking to do.

As for other games, they already have their own sites, so they wouldn't come here just to be a subdomain.

What other communities need help? Are you more interested in helping struggling communities or getting something popular enough that it funds 8WAYRUN.

Weak community sites
-KoF (orochinagi, dreamcancel, cyberfanatix)
-DoA (doaworld)

Popular things that could benefit the site in general
-Magic the Gathering
-DotA 2
-Moar Marvel
-Smash

Maybe do something thats not out yet
-Playstation All Star Battle

Virtua Fighter would be cool to go with. I wouldn't classify vfdc as a weak site but to see a community expand wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing in this case.

One of the biggest things to 8wayrun's credit is the articles. Most of the fighting game websites out there have some good content for their game but your articles explaining fundamentals of all games and opinions are genius both in concept and proof. Whenever I see an article from here I always post them up to all of my fgc buds in my own personal group on facebook (The Guild of Fighting Game Enthusiasts)

What I'm saying is very few websites can match your overall game coverage and fighting game coverage so whatever you pick up will be massively beneficial for that particular community.

Don't do P4A. I know the game is kind of weak community wise right now but dustloop has it and Mayonaka Midnight. I think those guys got the skills to cover that game.

Whatever you do I believe in the 8WAYRUN dream Jaxel. You are a gentleman and a scholar sir.

I'm sure they are aware. There are also sites for the other popular things I have listed as well. The point being is that a popular topic can have multiple sites and thrive. Also a popular thing is going to be better for traffic. I think the staff has a unique approach in their muses that they can carve out their own sector in those things.

Its my intention to turn 8WAYRUN into not just a community for Soulcalibur, but a network of communities for many games; and not just fighting games either.

It's an interesting idea, seems sound. If your only two options are shrink or grow, why not grow? Especially given that we've seen what happens when you shrink. I can actually say I'm fully behind this scheme though I do kind of worry how the new users from the new communities and their traffic will impact the site I currently enjoy. And on the administrative front will there be more work or overhead incurred?

I had no idea Jaxel had been so thorough when he created 8wayrun as to write new software nor that that software had been making the rounds on the net. I'm actually kind of proud of him for building the link into the software, sometimes I think his ego gets the better of him but giving credit where it's due that idea was hilarious and ingenious. Bravo man.

Just for the sake of curiosity... I'm curious if Jaxel could let us know where we too might find his software or let us know who might be using it. I'm sure he has to have some way of knowing where the references are coming from. FSD for instance looks to be doing so.

I know Testyourmight is using it. It says so on the bottom of their main forum page. I wish every fighting game site would, cuz some of them are really trash.

I know Testyourmight is using it. It says so on the bottom of their main forum page. I wish every fighting game site would, cuz some of them are really trash.

So I took what you said and checked the bottom of the FSD page, and there it is. Hah. A quick search for xenporta shows it is literally all over the net! Awesome. That's gotta be a nice feeling.

Step 1: marvel.8wayrun.com
Step 2: Fill front page with videos.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit?

Because honestly, that's what brings in most of our pageviews on SRK.

Seriously speaking though, I think separate sub-domains for individual games may be a bit too much to manage, especially if their communities are too small. IMO, a better idea would be to get communities of players who lay similar games under a subdomain. You could have stuff like.
  • poverty.8wayrun.com
  • doujin.8wayrun.com
  • airdash.8wayrun.com
Since most of the time, you have communities/groups of people who don't just play one game, but a similar group of games.
Well, they are planning on turning Black Ops 2 into an E-Sports game with the new spectating system.

What about that when it hits the stores?
CoD has more than a few problems that it faces for it to be accepted into eSports.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/call-of-duty-esports/
I think a quality game like Persona 4 Arena would be a cool addition to 8WR and is a bit of an "underdog" compared to other 2D fighters such as Capcom's fighters or KOF. Is there a Blazblue site comparable to 8WR, since P4A is most similar to BB? If not then I vote for adding P4A.
http://www.dustloop.com/

CoD has more than a few problems that it faces for it to be accepted into eSports.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/call-of-duty-esports/
Wow.
This makes it challenging and fun for casual players, but it’s a nightmare scenario for pros. The most important thing for professionals is to be able to practice and play the same game, with the same rules, for years and years to hone their skills.
Isn't this what adaptation is for? Isn't this what we're trying to cultivate in the first place, that the faster you can change, the more fit you are to defeat your opponents?

These guys are dinosaurs... and honestly, if they (Activision) just taught basic principles and strategies in the game and actually gave a damn about their general playerbase, they wouldn't need them- because we'd have a new generation of professionals.

“If me and my buddies have the best PS3 teams that anyone’s ever seen, it doesn’t matter to anyone playing on the 360,” says Graham. “You’ve got segregated audiences. Starcraft II doesn’t have to deal with that.”
I do have to agree with that though. The system divide is some ol' bull%^&*.

Wow.

Isn't this what adaptation is for? Isn't this what we're trying to cultivate in the first place, that the faster you can change, the more fit you are to defeat your opponents?
Actually, it's been written about in many other site and forums that what any game needs to succeed as an "eSport" is stability. In other words, the game shouldn't change much so that both players and spectators develop q level of familiarity. I mean, it's not like physical sports like bball or baseball get major changes to how they are played on a yearly basis.

In the same way, the fighting games that have thrived the most in the competitive scene are the ones that have been given time to develop in the competitive circuit. This especially true among 2D fighters that have a longer history of being emergent - how the players play is held in importance over developer intent. Hence we've seen certain versions of 2D fighters played for years on end despite newer versions appearing (CvS2 over CvS2 EO, SSF2T over HDRemix, 3rd Strike rev. A over 3S rev. B).

Also, alot of these games take years for their metagames to fully develop (3rd Strike was seeing major tier list changes 5 years after release). They also take years to master - by 2009, you needed around 2 years of experience to be considered good enough to play MvC2 competitively, and that wasn't even at the same level as guys like JWongg.

I agree that this is a good idea overall hell I haven't touched SCV since all of the Viola madness started and the flame wars here over the terribly done free patches.

Pen and paper RPGs? Any thought about that as a sub-domain? The Soul Caliber world ties in nicely with those and CaS is honestly the best way for people who can't draw to represent their characters ever. There is a big RP void in the hearts of the SC fanbase from SC5 and this would be a good way to work towards filling it.

Or does no one care about those anymore? (I already know the answer to that question...*sigh*).

Pen and paper RPGs? Any thought about that as a sub-domain? The Soul Caliber world ties in nicely with those and CaS is honestly the best way for people who can't draw to represent their characters ever. There is a big RP void in the hearts of the SC fanbase from SC5 and this would be a good way to work towards filling it.

Or does no one care about those anymore? (I already know the answer to that question...*sigh*).

You think the casual/competitive divide is bad? You should see gamist vs simulationist vs narrativist "debate" and any kind of edition wars. In video games, we tend to move on when new sequels come out, and grognards are rare.

As a person who has played TTRPG's for 20 years now; the players are what kill the interest in that genre. Bringing them here is just asking for trouble, and would worsen an already existing problem, in my opinion.

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back