A negative into a positive.

TearsOfLove

[08] Mercenary
I have made sure that this does not turn into an offline vs offline spam fest, so if it does, mods, PLEASE, for the love of the game, PUNISH THOSE PEOPLE.

So, I've been looking over my play style with Cervantes as of late, and I realized I can't execute a quarter of my move list with the character. With that said, some of those moves are horrible anyways.

This has hurt me, as you can imagine, but instead of trying to execute them, I have decided, over the last few months, to turn it into a positive.

How? It's simple. With a limited move set, people tend to block, punish, and try to interrupt my attacks.
My defense has become tremendous, and now, I don't need even half of the moves I DO know, I just punish, attack, pull off a quick IGDR, and all is good in the world.

So topic of discussion: do you know and use your WHOLE move list (including hidden moves), or do you stick to your comfort zone and build defense?

There's plenty of crap moves for every character in the game. It's best to weed out the garbage and stick to stuff that works best, since utilizing your whole moveset for the heck of it is rather scrubby.

I can say that i can pull off most of my main characters moves pretty consistently (Except jfs but i'm working on that).
I try to use as much of my characters moves as possible
In order to be unpredictable.
Because every different move causes a different situation.
But i still need more practice. Sometimes i think too much which "extraordinary" move i could pull off and lose.
Sometimes i do the right move for the wrong situation. Because some moves are VERY situational.
Some moves are generally neglected for no real reason.
And when i'm under pressure my style often gets very basic throwing most variety out of the window.

I'd say the more you know and the more you are able to pull off the better. But that's just my opinion.

EDIT: Some moves are nearly impossible to use because of absolutely shitty frames. Or other sucky stuff.

In my opinion, if you can't pull off all your characters moves or combos, you should practice more, or move to a character better suited for you. I dont play yoshi, but for example, I wouldn't even consider using him seriously If I couldn't do iMCF

The only reason to neglect a move should be when it is useless never let hard execution stop you from using a move.

Even a "worse" move can be used to your advantage maybe to bait your opponent or you use a move with slow execution to make the opponent whiff a GI.

It's kinda hard to find the perfect balance between spammer and scrub.

Cervantes' difficult shit is his best shit, especially his combos, which are some of the most difficult in the game. If you're not doing his just frames and such, you should be using another character instead. I don't use Cervy seriously cause I haven't felt like putting any time into getting the execution down. U aren't using him seriously either. just being real wit ya.

Cervantes' difficult shit is his best shit, especially his combos, which are some of the most difficult in the game. If you're not doing his just frames and such, you should be using another character instead. I don't use Cervy seriously cause I haven't felt like putting any time into getting the execution down. U aren't using him seriously either. just being real wit ya.

And until you know what moves I don't use, you can't tell me if I use him seriously or not. Just being real wit ya. ;)

AA, BB, 2A, 2K, Throws, Good Punisher. That's 90% of every necessary movelist right there.

Excuse me? lol.

Cervantes' most difficult techniques are the most rewarding ones, I would hardly say they arent useful. How would you know when you can even do them? Just because you dont use them doesnt give you some type of bragging rights if you manage to overcome odds. It just shows you use a character you know nothing about. Big woop.

Im gonna need you to buckle down in practice mode, kiddo.

utilizing your whole moveset for the heck of it is rather scrubby.
if your gettin yor ass kicked then yeah. i play this game for fun, if im just using the 'good' moves just to get a win then i might aswell switch it off.each char has several moves for each situation so i think utilizing everything you have succesfully will make you better, as i think predictability is the downfall of many players

Excuse me? lol.

Cervantes' most difficult techniques are the most rewarding ones, I would hardly say they arent useful. How would you know when you can even do them? Just because you dont use them doesnt give you some type of bragging rights if you manage to overcome odds. It just shows you use a character you know nothing about. Big woop.

Im gonna need you to buckle down in practice mode, kiddo.

:-/

What are his most difficult to you?

Since algols move list is pretty easy i can use everything. Although i try to use the rubbish stuff less when i no theres better options avaliable. Still i end up using stuff like 8A+K K/A+B(repeat) plainly cos it looks cool lol

As an Ivy player I use a LOT of her move list. But at the same time I can't probably discard a 1/3rd of it. Some attacks are just bad...nut every now and then i find a use for one or a mixup attempt. She's one of those characters though that thrives on diversity though.

I utilize maybe 15-20% of Hilde's move list in any given match, but I have a situation for each move where I'll use it. Even her atrocious 11B. It's just a matter of knowing what combo's with what and what advantages you get from it.

it is generally better to utilize more moves thankfully SC4 allows to do so unlike SC2 and 3.
I use around 90% of movelist for characters I use.
Almost every move can be utilized in some way and be better than the other in certain situtations it is fun to discover and improves your gameplay alot.

Remember that risk reward of the move is not based solely on damage/safety. You have to take a lot of stuff into consideration. Even poor risk reward moves may be great if opponent isnt expecting it. some moves deal less dmg but set up a CH opportunity etc. Some are only good on wakeups. Just experiment with most common ingame situations and you'll be surprised how unexpectedly useful some of your "crappy" moves can be.

Pedo I've beaten people using characters I've never played with using just AA, BB, a random low and throws.

If you really want to focus on something arguably difficult to do but is stupid good practice becoming a GI pro. I feel GI's are oh-so terribly under-rated and underused.

You know the whole risk vs. reward game from DOA and other fighters, I'm sure. Unless you're missing out on a move/combo with some crazy property(ies), it's trivial.

I can do all of Kiliks moveset and known combos but, in his case, that doesn't really mean much. Few really good players are ever going to let me land FOTD despite my 100% execution success with it and that's arguably one of his most difficult moves.

I can't comment directly on Cerv because even when bored and playing a million ranked matches in a row I'm lucky to see one Cerv lol

Back