Aeon General Discussion / Q&A

4B+K is a gap closer, but linear and too slow to punish anything. So u basically close the gap and if they dont step it, youre at -10 and gotta "wait" trough their next attacks before u can do sth. A gap closer that makes u "pause" after u use it isnt really usefull tbh. Maybe they shud add options after it.

If they're waiting out the 4B+K and blocking, just run in. 4B+K is great vs people trying to AA or 2A your approach.

Yeah, he has NO mid/high-range tools at all. All you can do is basically close your eyes and rush towards them, hoping some random hit doesnt throw you all the way back.
A problem I also have if up close is that many good moves push back alot which prevents your own oki/pressure.
At this point it just feels that all his moves/tools dont mesh together very well, like theres no structure behind it.
Like what is he supposed to be? Cant rushdown properly, cant space properly, cant punish properly, has no range.
He doesnt even have mix-ups at all. Every other character has at least one string/stance with 2 to 4 options out of it that cover low/mid/high and makes someone guess. Aeon cant do that as his only stance FLY has no mixup, only one move can potentially come out of it and if you consider the A+B+K in flight a mixup then youre mistaken, since sidestep evades both A+B+K aswell as K.
Quoting for truth.

Lately, I've really been feeling it. With SCIV I actually maintained something of a strong win ratio (though obviously there's the issue of lag potentially making crawl stance more painful than it otherwise would be) but with Aeon, well...

I'll be honest - I feel like he's worse than Rock tier. Rock at least had some really strong mix-up, even if he suffered from being dependent on easily-broken throws. A lot of Aeon's best attacks are heavily linear and completely unsafe (STOP WHIFFING, 66K!!) and, as mentioned, he basically has no good mix-ups. He pretty much has to capitalize on the mistakes of the enemy to get anywhere, which is a fundamentally poor position to be in.

I'm used to getting in peoples' faces and forcing them to play by my rules. In SCV, Aeon does no such thing. He cannot set the pace of the match.

I really don't want to drop him, but seriously, I had a better time of things with Rock. I really miss the animal-head-wearing stick-master who tosses people around like rag dolls (although in my case it was a female CAS in a skimpy cat costume, heee...).

He isn't as bad as SC4 Rock, but he feels very similar. Limited options even with such a tiny movelist. The difference is, Rock had 0 sources of reliable damage. Aeon's damage is really good, the difficulty comes in creating opportunities for damage. Despite his weaknesses I still think he can win against any character in this game.

I've been compensating for 66K range by holding the 6 a tiny bit longer before doing the K. Works well enough.

Just saying hi as the new Aeon moderator :). I'm going to do some Aeon research tomorrow to get in touch with you guys.

I'm used to playing bad characters (playing Panda since T5.0) by the way.

Hi Di, Aeon is not as bad as we're making him out to be, we're just all bitter that he's not as good as we had hoped. Have fun playing with your lizard.

I'm still debating whether he is SC3 Rock Tier, SC4 Rock Tier, or SC2 Yun Tier. If it's SC3 Rock Tier, then we're wasting our time complaining because a handful of characters are in a league of their own. If he's SC4 Rock Tier, then he's just a rushed incomplete character who will have huge holes in his game and be obsolete in a few months. If he's SC2 Yun Tier, then he has a shot. We just need to identify a viable strategy we can use.

Right now my strategy is hope that people aren't smart enough to ukemi_step his FLY stuff. :(

Any love for 22AB here? The more I use this move the more awesome it becomes. Its biggest perk it that sidesteps AND has a really fast TC so you can beat lots of things in certain situations. Yeah it's unsafe but it's got good range, an easy hit-confirm, and gives good options on CH.

^yes, too much love in fact. I abuse 22_88 ab so much I forget to abuse everything else.

Finally played my first fights with Aeon having more knowledge than command list. At the moment my core moves are 2A, A,A, 3K, 3B, 2B (to hit grounded), WR B, 6B BE (i15 for so much damage?!), 2K, 66A, 11B, 22A,B and 66B. I think I'll have to start using 4K since its FD is looking very promising.
I'm having problems landing WR B, BT B+K but guess I have to work on the timing. Any tips?

@Freaky
Didn't know about 22A,B being HC-able, gonna try it next time.

Huh. I want people to Ukemi. 1A tech traps lead to lots of damage.
This, and Ukemi leads to Aeon's huge damage combos on some characters.

I've been abusing 22AB since I started, but I need to get 44A out of my system from playing computers (just to see what they abuse) lol.

Also, wondering if anyone ever thought about it, but it seems like Aeon's best area is getting them grounded so he can get most of his damage through Ukemi/non-Ukemi options (not including walls). I started finding weird stuff like his BBB working in certain ways (mostly just BB cause the 3rd doesn't combo on NH) when opponents fall to the ground.

I'm having problems landing WR B, BT B+K but guess I have to work on the timing. Any tips?
You have to wait until the "descent" to input the B+K. It's better to err on the side of too late - when it'll do the damage but won't relaunch - than too early, when it'll just whiff.

If WS B hits from max range, the opponent won't be over your head when the move recovers so B+K will come out as the dropkick.

Thank you.

Does any of you find use for 8B? It seems similar to Mitsurugi's old 8A+B (not sure if it's still in) and I think it can be used against Leixia's FC 3B,B, WR A+B,B,B and similar moves where you know that a low is coming in a string or can react to it.

I generally use 4b+kG to punish on reaction. It's both a TC and a TJ, and rings out. It's probably my favorite move of his, even though it's really unsafe.

If I don't feel like being quite so risky, or if I'm next to a collapsing wall (4b+kG will ring YOU out if you land a wall splat on a collapsing wall... wtf?) I'll use 8B. I used to use 8B+K (FLY K) but noticed that the FLY K whiffed so often that I'd end up getting punished hard (back throws hurt).

Back