Algol Character Matchup Discussion

really? well, your response doesn't surprise me, since I don't have much experience with most of those matchups. I was actually hoping for people to not agree, so that it could spark discussion.

What do you agree/not agree with? Mind putting up your own list? I'm curious to see it. :)

basically take almost everything with the opponent having a 6-4 advantage on algol and give algol either a 5-5 or a 6-4 advantage on them

here's the list I sent to SU:

Amy: 5-5
Asta: 7-3
Cass: 5-5
Cervantes: 5-5
Kilik: 4-6
Maxi: 7-3
Nightmare: 5-5
Raph: 6-4
Sieg: 6-4
Talim: 7-3
Voldo: 4-6
X: 5-5
Zas: 7-3

Our opinions are basically irreconcilable about the character. I feel that algol is played at the most underdeveloped level of any character in the game (my own algol included). his spacing and poking abilities are crazy

Oofmatic-Tiamat:

Just for reference I haven't sent the message out to everyone yet due to not wanting my inbox overloaded.

I only sent a message to oof in regards to his main Darth Vader.

I only sent a message to Tiamat in regards to his main Algol.

Then I consider who else.

Mains usually result in the most accuracy!

Problem is no one really mains algol anymore for tournament play. RTD doesn't use algol anymore, I don't go to tournies, tlcrow fell off the planet, so all that's left is ramon and oofmatic, but algol isn't their mains. They tend to switch away from algol after losing one match and that's not the way to develop a character (though it's not their main and in tournament you want to do what will most likely make you win, so it's understandable).

I actually don't really even use Algol in tournaments. Maybe a few times in some local tournaments, but for the most part Vader is my tourney character.

Aside from bubble shield and long bubble combos, I don't think I'm that great with Algol, nor do I have any motivation to bring him up to 'main' level.

And I agree with you that no one has yet achieved Algol's full potential, but even so I still think Algol is hugely overrated and doesn't have a great advantage over the majority of the cast like some people tend to think.

Problem is no one really mains algol anymore for tournament play. RTD doesn't use algol anymore, I don't go to tournies, tlcrow fell off the planet, so all that's left is ramon and oofmatic, but algol isn't their mains. They tend to switch away from algol after losing one match and that's not the way to develop a character (though it's not their main and in tournament you want to do what will most likely make you win, so it's understandable).

What about zodiac? did he quit?

Ok Tiamat I know we've play plenty of games vs each other and normally I would agree with your list it's just that one thing upsets me. I really do feel that Algol vs Nightmare should be 4:6 with 5:5 being the best for that matchup at this time. Algol vs X may be in X's favor, but then again I haven't played that match in a while. The rest of the list I pretty much agree with. I'll let you know how Algol vs Cervy matchup goes when I play Nori again.

The part about nobody really maining Algol in tournament play is true. I mean I "main" Algol, but then all of a sudden there was such an uproar that he got banned so I couldn't play my main and I refused to travel for a game where I had to use my secondaries. Now that most places have unbanned him I will travel. Tiamat you know my Algol is better than yours lol.

Oofmatic- I understand where you're coming from when you say that Amy's up close game is great and Algol's really isn't. I just feel that for the most part Algol can really control the spacing of that match and does actually have tools to push her back out if need be. I'm not saying it's not frustrating, but I wouldn't say he's at disadvantage either. People say that I play Algol funny so that may be the reason why I think a certain way nor do I have to play against STD like you do.

i dont think astaroth is at a disadvantage in this match up at all he can spack you out of shooting bubble from a safe distance and when he gets up close his grab game is scary.

I played a lot of Algol vs Asta matches and I do feel that Asta is really at a disadvantage. What is it that you think Asta can really hit Algol with and at what range? Unless Algol does something really dumb and backs himself into a corner I really don't feel that is a match that's in Asta's favor at all. I'm not saying I'm the end all and be all of Algol players, but I don't see Algol if played correctly has anything to fear from Asta.

whodat: you think nightmare beats algol? and yeah at this time you probably are better with algol than me cause mine is like hot garbage nowadays -_-

honestly the algol vs asta matchup is simple and I don't see why people keep disagreeing about it. algol outpokes the shit out of asta. BB/2B+K/11K/1A/1B etc are great on him and unless you do a 1B at close range asta isn't going to get any kind of mixup off this stuff on block due to pushback and/or algol's backdash. he's not so good at dealing with bubbles other than 6A+B (cause he can 22B dodge it) but algol doesn't need the move to win the matchup (4[A+B] and 2A+B stuff is great vs asta)

Yoshi has nasty answers to bubble shield and can win by attrition if the Algol player thinks standing back will work. While I'd like to put the match more at 6:4 in Yoshi's favor, I haven't played a conservative enough Algol to really set that in stone.

Asta's 22B, A+B, and 44B are decent against bubbles. His B+K attack throw has good range and deletes all bubbles when it connects. He's got bullrush to close distance, and his throw game is obviously better. It can still be a tough fight, but I have a hard time believing it's 7:3 in favor of Algol.

Most of those moves should NEVER hit Algol. 22B should only hit Algol if he's doing 6A+B bubble because it will step around it, otherwise he will get hit by 4[A+B] bubbles every time and not even trade just get hit. Bull rush wont get him anywhere because of the fact that it doesn't go over any bubbles and Algol's BB keeps him in check. It's really not a good matchup for Asta.

Part of the problem is that asta doesn't have the greatest attack flow and/or okizeme so even when he does manage to hit algol it isn't super hard for algol to just get away again.

Coming from the Astaroth point of view I would say either 5-5 or 6-4 in Asta's favor. Algol has a suck up close game and at mid/long (not full screen) Asta actually punishes bubbles with giant chunks of damage. Algol can't step so he's TRULY stuck with Astaroth and has to rely on psychic pokes.

The only thing I would say Algol has that MIGHT make it a problem is the giant combo/infinite he can do on Astaroth but infinites are no big deal to me.

Let me know what Algol can do that makes it not even an even match up for Asta.

noo.............

in astas favor?

ummmmm

just read the algol guide the match up its in there

Ok well here is my opinion on what the matchup chart should look like for Algol. Some of these are purely my thoughts based on what I feel each character has because I don't have much experience fighting them such as Tira or Yun-Seong. All ratios go with Algol as the first number and the opponent being second.

Algol Vs:

Amy - 5:5
Astaroth - 7:3
Cassandra - 5:5
Cervantes - 5:5
Darth Vader - 4:6
Hilde - 4:6
Ivy - 4:6
Kilik - 4:6
Lizardman - 6:4
Maxi - 7:3
Mitsurugi - 6:4
Nightmare - 4:6
Raph - 6:4
Rock - 7:3
Seong Mi-na - 5:5
Setsuka - 5:5
Siegfried - 5:5
Sophitia - 5:5
Taki - 7:3
Talim - 8:2
The Apprentice - 5:5
Tira - 6:4
Voldo - 5:5
Xianghua - 5:5
Yoda - 6:4
Yoshimitsu - 6:4
Yun-seong - 7:3
Zasalamel - 6:4

If need be I will explain my reasonings, but I really don't feel like doing it in this post so if you have any questions just ask.

Back