Algol General Discussion / Q&A

I'm pretty sure the most common questions about algol are

Q: How do I do Algol's secret UB?
A: He doesn't have one.

Q: What does 4B+K do?
A: It grabs someone for walking backward or backstepping.

also

Q: how come you can't make algol CAS's?

A: Cause namco didn't feel like adding it.

as for actual strategy ........

I have been doing aB(hit) 2B FC A+B

this is nice because it does 2 things

1) baits your opponent into stepping so you can do QF A

2) if they block the FC A+B they eat a QF mix up

do 2B > 6A+B instead of FC A+B. FC A+B doesn't recover as well and you're limited to FC moves afterward. 6A+B on the other hand will be advantage on block at this distance, and you can sidestep after it to dodge if they reflect the bubble

I like how FC A+B backs up when he fires

so if you decide to not QF you still have almost full screen space between you and your opponent

I recently fought Asaba 23, I was using Voldo, when Asaba did 6[K]K with Algol after an unsafe move I used Voldo's 2A to interrupt... Algol's 6[K]K must have a tech jump or something because Voldo's 2A, although ducking the first hit, completely whiffed and I got smacked by the 2nd hit on whiff... This happened to me twice... I need to inspect this but are there any other experiences you (reader) had with this???

It would have been nice to at least custom color in Algol...

if you guys don't know this

you should use 3B QI B 3B QI mix up as a whiff punisher instead of 1B its more consistent and does more damage. It should be your ultimate goal to learn back dash 3B QI B 3B instead of backdash 1B Ive trained myself to do this and it works well

if you guys don't know this

you should use 3B QI B 3B QI mix up as a whiff punisher instead of 1B its more consistent and does more damage. It should be your ultimate goal to learn back dash 3B QI B 3B instead of backdash 1B Ive trained myself to do this and it works well

Admit it, you only do it because it looks cool.

It's a great whiff punisher, but I find it hard to do it on reaction because the timing is so strict. 1B is just easier to respond to on hit and has more range.

Admit it, you only do it because it looks cool.

yup =(

It's a great whiff punisher, but I find it hard to do it on reaction because the timing is so strict. 1B is just easier to respond to on hit and has more range.

Yeah but its worth learning once you learn it, it becomes second nature

Its also hit checkable which works in its favor. 1B doesn't combo on all character and at all ranges and only gives a tech trap if its not at combo range. I'll take 80 damage over 60-ish or a tech no no tech mix up

I'll take your word on it that it's hit confirmable. I haven't been able to do it mid match and confirm the hit.

I don't think it's hit confirmable myself...but it's been a long time since I tried *shrug*

I think it is hit confirmable, as in you can 3B QI then do bubble/B+K out of the of the flip instead of the punishable B, or just do an empty flip.

On a somewhat related note, I never realized how good QI A/B/K is when used with bubbles. Basically if you can freeze your opponent with bubbles at a distance you get a nice mixup. K is an unseeable-knockdown low, A kills step and is 2+ frames on block, and B for mid mixup.

I think it is hit confirmable, as in you can 3B QI then do bubble/B+K out of the of the flip instead of the punishable B, or just do an empty flip.

On a somewhat related note, I never realized how good QI A/B/K is when used with bubbles. Basically if you can freeze your opponent with bubbles at a distance you get a nice mixup. K is an unseeable-knockdown low, A kills step and is 2+ frames on block, and B for mid mixup.

Yeah I've been using QI more and more as of late. its also great for oki... like 3B QI B 3B QI B/K/A+B

-B/K is your standard mid/low mix up

-A+B is if they try to roll forward to avoid the mix up

Also a setup I use a lot is 1B 2A+B aB 2B FC A+B QI mix up.
best part is if they GI the FC A+B all QI options go over the bubble except for QI K.
I honestly don't know why people hate on QI A its a great move.

basically any knockdown that combos into 2B for a ground hit can be a setup for a QI mix up.

also 1B 2A+B 623ABK QI mix up works. IDK if they air control this I never do that combo

Alright! My kind of place, I was thinking If it was possible for someone here to create a group supporting Algol. I cant help but to say I do have a signature combo with Algol. :sc4alg1: And I have met only 2 people on Xbox live who acctually are as good at using Algol as I am. (Extremely rare)

If PSN is any indicator then probably on Xbox all the good players don't play with people they don't already know. Plus I heard that the already small hardcore SC Xbox community has been migrating to PSN where the bulk of the good players are.

Anyways, what do you guys think about 623B? I got Algol in a random a while ago, and I was wondering if in some circles 623B is held as highly as Asura. I mean it doesn't have the damage or the multi-hit ness or the tracking, but the evasion is all there.

I love doing :(2)::A:+:B: then if they are moving sideways, they will get hit with :4::1::2::3::6::A:, if they block the attack, high chance they will attack right after, best counter for me would be 8+62/:A:+:B::2:

bubbles:
I think you're being a forum nazi so I restored one of the posts you deleted. this is a general thread so as long as you're talking about algol almost anything goes imo

good job closing that "this is true power!" thread tho....I dunno what to say about that one >_>

Jamel:
why do 2A+B when you have the advantage after the QI A? you should try quicker moves that do more damage and/or act as a mixup

problem is tia idk what to do with his posts lol

half of the post has real info the rest of it is either A) random and a non sequitur
or B) doesn't belong in the thread that its in

Don't forget, 3B is faster than 1B ~lol...
And, Jamel... WOOOOOOAH, 8+62/A+B2????????????????????????
(Wow man, I gotsta youz tha 1 moar oftin, is tha hs sekret unblockablz???)

Back