Algol Video Thread

Why'd you wanna go to 1B if that would work? You can only combo of 1B on CH aswell afaik. A better option and more likely (since 1B has 21F startup) would be 66B, 4B,A, 3B BE as all of these could lead into combos and all have faster startup then 1B.

Went to a tournament yesterday. Some notable replays....
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/308707970

There were a couple more matches I played but I didn't find the times. I don't really want you to see my first match anyway cause I played god awful even though I won. lol

@ 1:41 vs Promethius (NM) I'm "TMI" cause they goofed up lol. I messed up some combos awful at a few points in this. The last round I coulda done lvl2 but I wanted a RO, didn't work, then I stupidly tried saving 25% gauge for next round and lost.
@ 3:10 vs Misato (Asta/Yoshi)
@ 3:22 vs SWBeta (Yoshi/NM)
@ 3:38 vs Bartlett (Asta)
@ 4:01 vs Ghostman (Natsu/Lexia) (I like this one best)
@ 4:17 vs Promethius (NM/Yoshi)

Can anyone share the notations on how to do these bubble combos? Very interested in learning them for novelty sake.

Jolly good show Tiamat.

I suspect you're gonna hit traing and figure out that Yoshi matchup now huh? Can't you just do 623B on all his teleports? What I've been doing online against random ppl and worked great but I havn't really played anyone that actually playes a good Yoshi.

Also curious on why you're using 3BB_33BB so much? 19F startup with -16, -14. 66B always seems like the better alternative with 18F startup and only -4 aswell as you can confirm a hit into a lengthy and more damaging combo.

Anywho, hope to see more play soon.

Jolly good show Tiamat.

I suspect you're gonna hit traing and figure out that Yoshi matchup now huh? Can't you just do 623B on all his teleports? What I've been doing online against random ppl and worked great but I havn't really played anyone that actually playes a good Yoshi.

Also curious on why you're using 3BB_33BB so much? 19F startup with -16, -14. 66B always seems like the better alternative with 18F startup and only -4 aswell as you can confirm a hit into a lengthy and more damaging combo.

Anywho, hope to see more play soon.

3BB has a couple advantages over 66B that frame data doesn't tell you. The biggest reason is because 3BB can hit the ground and 66B can't. Another thing is that, while according to the frame data 66B is faster, unless you buffer it from something this isn't the case because 3BB is a single input command and 66B is a two input command. Plus, I figured I generally wouldn't get punished on block for doing 3BB and it is one of Algol's only moves that damages the guard gauge heavily. Overall I certainly consider 66B the better move but 3BB is not without it's perks.

3BB has a couple advantages over 66B that frame data doesn't tell you. The biggest reason is because 3BB can hit the ground and 66B can't. Another thing is that, while according to the frame data 66B is faster, unless you buffer it from something this isn't the case because 3BB is a single input command and 66B is a two input command. Plus, I figured I generally wouldn't get punished on block for doing 3BB and it is one of Algol's only moves that damages the guard gauge heavily. Overall I certainly consider 66B the better move but 3BB is not without it's perks.

While I see what you're saying and agree to a certain point, 3BB should not be used on block often. I used it once against a good player on XBL, and he just guarded the second hit every time after that. It definitely taught me to play safer and mix it up much more.

Yeah, its valid but I mean the threat of Just Guard isn't big enough to give up a move as good as 3BB. You really have to make your opponent prove hes capable of ruining your gameplan, and 1st round is a prime place to condition your opponent and see where that happens, since giving up the 1st round isn't the end of the world. Just means you're 1 round away from getting 1 meter =p

Obviously its not going to be part of your main blockstring though, I don't think Tiamat was hinting at that.

More tournament videos

http://www.twitch.tv/zero000/b/311998425
8:50 vs Winback Maxi
Contrary to what the commentators believe, me and Winback have not played since early SC4 but I don't blame them for assuming we have played SC5 before. Round 2 of the 2nd match was a disaster. Got hit by the 2nd hit of his CE (no idea why I stopped blocking) and then I got front A+B after CH 6AAB. maybe he hadn't crossed over yet?

http://www.twitch.tv/zero000/b/311998425 (same link as above)
1:05 vs krazySyko Aeon (winner finals)
winner finals continued in link below at the start
http://www.twitch.tv/zero000/b/312010202
then go to 17:50 for grand finals vs krayzySyko Aeon (grand finals)

Youtube versions:
vs Winback
vs krazySyko Winner Finals
vs krazySyko Grand Finals

some tournament videos of Sakon's Algol
http://www.gnouz-corporation.com/blog/?p=2646

for the most part the only bubble he uses is A+B and he QI a lot immedietely after it a lot at long range to hit/mixup them for stepping it
absolutely zero BT chairs is kinda odd to say the least
one of the matches vs Keev he loses cause he drops a 44B combo, that musta felt awful
other than Keev, no one was really sidestepping him at all and that made things easy for him cause Algol has pretty sick linear pokes/attacks like 1B and 66B

very solid algol play

It doesn't function the same way as viola's. Algol's is mostly for combo use, hers is mostly for pressure.

Comparing that to Viola's CE, it's godlike.
Personally I feel his CE is a waste of meter in most situations. Its most useful property that I see in it is the ability to bait a whiff when an opponent's back is to the edge, punish it with CE1 → 4BA for a ring out.

Back