Astaroth Q&A/Discussion Thread

Attacks, such as Astaroth's CE, do damage. Damage reduces the opponent's health bar. When the opponent's health bar reaches zero, you win the round.
Well, duh. What I meant was whether or not there was any practical use for his CE within his gameplay (setups, combos or whatnot)?

Well, duh. What I meant was whether or not there was any practical use for his CE within his gameplay (setups, combos or whatnot)?
It does good damage and can lead to a combo if you have enough Brave for :2::2:_:8::8::bA+B+K: afterwards. I think it's useful because it's not that hard to get it to hit. It's not one of those moves that people avoid every time. I've even seen players use it as a tech trap after a wall combo for a sick reset.

Being i16, it can successfully punish all the moves that you would usually punish with 66b (for example Cervantes aB, or Pat 236B, Pyrrha 236B, Mitsurugi 3B, ecc...), but much more heavily. Being always ready for it it's a must.
It's also great when used after a GI, being 100% guaranteed.

What do you guys use 3A for, anyway? Seems like 4A and 6AA are better for controlling step since they're faster and give you the force crouch mixup.

Wow, I thought nobody would ever see this for a while. I'm just saying 3A should of been made more valuable is all. Right now, it just feels like not so much of a worthy move.

Hi all,

Question from a guy looking to get back into SCV after a long hiatus. I personally really like Asta, but I've been seeing that Viola is a problem for the game currently. After going through the match-ups, it seems that Asta may actually have a decent match-up against her.

Is this correct and I was just curious what people thought about the balance of SCV currently?

Cheers!

Hi all,

Question from a guy looking to get back into SCV after a long hiatus. I personally really like Asta, but I've been seeing that Viola is a problem for the game currently. After going through the match-ups, it seems that Asta may actually have a decent match-up against her.

Is this correct and I was just curious what people thought about the balance of SCV currently?

Cheers!
Viola is the best character in the game and even arguably "broken" (She got banned in France, not this says much since France bans everything.). On paper Viola-Astaroth is a horrible MU for Astaroth. But almost every time an Astaroth plays a Viola in tourney, he ends up winning lol.

Viola is the best character in the game and even arguably "broken" (She got banned in France, not this says much since France bans everything.). On paper Viola-Astaroth is a horrible MU for Astaroth. But almost every time an Astaroth plays a Viola in tourney, he ends up winning lol.

Thanks!

I was thinking that Asta's damage is pretty high and his Oki game is generally strong so you can keep the pressure up on her. I don't remember too well, but I thought Viola's defensive options were actually pretty lacking so you could basically just bully her. Eh, guess I'll have to screw around in the lab to see what's up.

I can understand why France banned her though, any character with her capabilities is a little ridiculous.

Once again, thanks!

so just frame on the grabs add 10 more points of damage, what happens when you do the just frame input on the side throws and A+G? if I do the B command grab motion on the opponent's back, will astaroth do 10 more points of damage with back throw?

so just frame on the grabs add 10 more points of damage, what happens when you do the just frame input on the side throws and A+G? if I do the B command grab motion on the opponent's back, will astaroth do 10 more points of damage with back throw?
No. It has to be one of the throws that actually requires the 63214 input.

So... does 1AA/1AB have STC frames? I saw it go under Siegfried 6B, but we all know what Siegfried does best...

If it was because of STC, though, wow that move would be good counter to Mitsurugi 4B if you see him stepping back before you've already whiffed something else.

So... does 1AA/1AB have STC frames? I saw it go under Siegfried 6B, but we all know what Siegfried does best...

If it was because of STC, though, wow that move would be good counter to Mitsurugi 4B if you see him stepping back before you've already whiffed something else.

I don't think 1AA/AB has STC frames unfortunately...It was probably a random whiff.
A good counter to Mitsurugi 4b is an empty sidestep after he starts the move, it works fine and you can punish him heavily. :sc5ast1:

No Sieg breaks the game with his shitness.

Aw, maun. I noticed there weren't any Asta reppers at NEC 15. Can any of the good players chime in on some potential reasons behind this?

Is fatty just too hard to balance when Pat and Pyr are heavy in the bracket? ty

JAG, good seeing you around! Learned a lot from you back in the day.

I don't know, every time I try and speculate entire character's move-sets, play-style and MU's against him, I feel like Asta still holds up pretty well, but people don't rock him in the scene. My best guess is that chars like Pat, pyr, etc. are just easier to play with at a high clip.

Stupid simple Tech i've not seen another asta do all year (sadly): :4:,:B: for mid-long range whiff bait. Useful v. NM and Pat especially. Gr8 tracking because of his houge backstep.

Back