Astaroth Q&A/Discussion Thread

I've noticed Asta's 22_88B often whiffs against attacks that advance forwards, so maybe the fact that half her moveset is made up of advancing attacks could have something to do with this. I've never tested this though.

That is a problem too, but like i said, it even whiffs sometimes against Leixia when she just stands there... I hate that.

I actually consider Astaroth one of the tougher matchups when I play Leixia, though that might have a lot to do with the way I play her. But, Leixia certainly does get her share of lucky whiffs from other characters. The biggest problem I've had when playing Astaroth is how 2A+G and 2B+G sometimes won't connect against Natsu-sized or smaller girls after a successful 6AA or CH 4A. 22K after a wall splat or CH 6K/6B misses a lot against them too.
It seems like whenever I've seen 22B whiff it was when they were just standing there or did something where they end up beside you and even though the attack clearly connects it doesn't count.
One thing I like about Astaroth is how there are no truly horrible matchups, but Cervantes' space control, Mitsurugi's ability to interrupt everything you do for HUGE damage, and Pyrrha's constant tech crouching and stabbing have been causing me some trouble.

I don´t know... The Asta Leixia match up is currently a difficult one for me. She is much fast and deals great guard burst damage like Asta, but he does more damage and has better range... But she has that ridicolous tiny hitbox and ways to negate Asta great Okizeme... And like you said, sometimes 22/88B still whiffes through opponents like it´s always done... But it was worse in SCIV imo.

JAG, I think it's funny that we are "afraid" of each other's characters, haha.
Because I really really don't like playing against Astaroth.

I still haven't figured out the most basic 9B and 9K, and I still have no idea when to low grab.

I feel these moves should be really useful, but I am not sure the right moment to use them.

I still haven't figured out the most basic 9B and 9K, and I still have no idea when to low grab.

I feel these moves should be really useful, but I am not sure the right moment to use them.

Low grab is a great 2k punish and it's also very useful to catch ukemis (for example, 11b, low grab is a good tech trap).
I also use it when I think the opponent is going to crouch and I need a reverse RO (low B throw) or some good damage, but it's very risky.

I don't think 9b and 9k have specific uses...to me they are useful at the end of the rounds, when every hit counts and I think the opponent is going to use a low. Since the opponent can't grab you when you're jumping, they are also a good throw counter.

how do you make 6A hit anyone? that move has no range and is even minus on hit... even astaroth grabs longer than that move.

how do you make 6A hit anyone? that move has no range and is even minus on hit... even astaroth grabs longer than that move.

It's true that 6AA has very short range, but imho it is a good move.

1) It's a good counter hit fisher, being only i13 it becomes very useful against opponents who like to mash a lot of buttons.

2) From close distance some opponents might step much, if you have conditioned them to do so using many bullrush - 4b. Read the opponent step, and use 6aa to get a guaranteed low grab.

Hello everyone!))
I need to ask you the question: how should Astaroth be played?
Rush-rush-rush or doing a counter hit or waiting for frame advantage&doing throw_bullrush mixup?
Or maybe the question is incorrect?
Thank you for your answers))

i figured out another combo with astoroth (works on all characters)

<<A(optional aslong as the the opponent gets stunned) >b, ^^k,//b-k OR \\b-k
does 3-8 more damage then >b,^^k,^^b

i figured out another combo with astoroth (works on all characters)

<<A(optional aslong as the the opponent gets stunned) >b, ^^k,//b-k OR \\b-k
does 3-8 more damage then >b,^^k,^^b

I've tried 44[A], BB6, 88K, 11BK and I don't think this is a better option than 44[A]. BB6, 88K, 88B because:

1) The damage of both combos is not really different, they both do around 110 with slight differences if you hit the opponent ad different angles (more damage if you hit him in the back)

2) The first combo whiffs in many situations, the second doesn't

9B+K is the optimal ender for oki in that situation anyway. Not much use for 11BK except as the weird gimmick string it's always been.

I've tried 44[A], BB6, 88K, 11BK and I don't think this is a better option than 44[A]. BB6, 88K, 88B because:

1) The damage of both combos is not really different, they both do around 110 with slight differences if you hit the opponent ad different angles (more damage if you hit him in the back)

2) The first combo whiffs in many situations, the second doesn't
it whiffs for you? i guess ill have to try it in different situations then. hasnt whiffed for me yet.

Yes, from certain angles it whiffs. It happens more often against the small characters
that is true it gets weird against smaller characters at certain angles, mainly viola in particular. then again her hit box and lexias are the smallest so i only do it when i counter hit against the smaller characters cuz they only attack forward anyways unlike xiba and algol

I've been having some wall combo troubles with astaroth, in training I can get them no problem, but then (still in training) I get a just guard and counter throw and it doesn't connect. Is there some property I'm not aware of? This also comes into effect online

Guys, I'm trying to pick this character up and one of the first things I noticed is how good he is at guard crushing. What's a good post guard crush combo?

Guys, I'm trying to pick this character up and one of the first things I noticed is how good he is at guard crushing. What's a good post guard crush combo?
If you're at the edge, definitely 66K for the ringout. 66K BE does some good guaranteed damage. Something I can never remember to try when I have the chance 6B for the counter, then 22K, 22B.

Back