Astaroth: Sc5 Wishlist

The CH 66A stun could be a stun, if you don't follow through it should be +18 for a knee or bullrush combo, but CH 66A.214A would be a cool NCC and another way to utilize Poseiden Tide... 4{B} should be +6 on grd or something useful, +4 doesn't cut it enough with Asta in terms of pressure...

Asta is already overpowered, no asta player should have complaints. Make PT ringout that is all I have ever wanted.

I am pretty serious, Astaroth is already a strong character for a big guy that does a retarded amount of damage off the easiest command throws ever. He's well balanced IMO.

SC3 Asta was seriously powerful, but I don't see any thing wrong with SC4's Astaroth in terms of balance.

What are you guys attempting to do, make him broken?

Just about every character in the game even the broken ones can have great difficulty against Astaroth.

KingAce: Me, I'm being greedy with more options because he still can't beat Ivy. Right now, Asta gets his hits in with CH Bullrush and Command throws, but if your opponent knows how to make their character stay out of that danger zone and properly step Bullrush, matches get tough for him. Yes, I would love to have a horizontal mid that can set up his throw game more, and PT can be that mid. It isn't fast, it can be GI'd on reaction, and anyone who plays against Asta will be implementing throw escapes anyway, or should be.

For me, it all depends on how the SC5 system will be like and how the rest of the cast gets buffed and nerfed. The PT cancel into command throw may be a little broken(not as broken as bubble shield Algol vs Asta), but I still say either give Asta block pushback or better SG damage.

I overcame the Asta vs Algol match-up long ago after countless beat down's from OOF, getting around the shield is actually easy. It takes two moves. 4B+K and B+K otherwise gi. It's 6:4 in Algol's favor, but up close algol is just like any other bug.

Asta players don't know how scary this character is to face trust me on this. I played Astaroth for the longest time, but when I faced CD's Asta and was on the receiving end. I come to an understanding, aside from hilde no other character in the game is scarier.

Now Imagine if 4[ b ] was +5 and kept the opponent in grab range like in SC3.

Actually Astaroth's SG damage is very high, you just can't play grab Asta and SG damage Asta at the same time, two different styles.

He doesn't even need command grabs.

@KingAce.

I agree with the "Asta jf cm-throws overpowerd" part, but he needs cm-throws, it´s just the jf version that is broken.

And in SCIII he was much stronger. That doesn´t mean i want that version of Asta back in SCV. I didn´t like SCIII Asta... personal reasons.

It´s just that Asta is lucky!! in this game ´cause he is heavily focused on k-attacks, so that almost all Agi´s are useless against him and he can still be played in different ways ´cause he didn´t get nerfed like others did... but nerfed for sure.

In short, Asta in SCIV is only really good ´cause many other chars are bad and he is a lucky K-move char, lol.

Oh, and i think the Algol Asta matchup is 7:3 for Algol.

Neither me nor other good Astas like saitoh found a way against that Char. And 4B+K is slow, and while B+K is good, in the end it´s still high...

Sophitia, Setsuka, Kilik or Hilde are imo way stronger than Asta in this game. At least in the right hands... In the end, Asta revolves heavily around mindgames... That means itcomes all down to the player. It´s just those ridicilous jf-throws that are to strong...

BTW, i still want 4B + 5 back. I didn´t say that the pushback should be fixed too. ;)

Not to mention his mindgames are mostly Mid ~ High... 4{B} needs to be more than +4 though...
Nerfing the damage might be too much of a negative... I think JAG said in a way: its like we won't even know until we as a community understand what the developers are doing for buffs/nerfs... Can we get some heads up on what they're doing because making these suggestions feels like getting ideas off your chest and nothing more, and thats really all this seems like... Is it possible to make contact even, well now I mean?
Really just sayin where are they at???

Hilde is broken but Asta fairs against her better than most characters.
Kilik vs Asta is 5:5.
Setsuka is a direct counter to Asta, it happens.
Sophitia might have an advantage over Asta, but overall Asta dorminates more characters than she does.
Algol's bubble shield, isn't a problem. OOFMATIC started the gay Algol bubble spam, I eventually shut it down. It's a 6:4 Match-up, but I base this solely on my experience. And because I also play Algol.

It isn't that simple to say Astaroth revolves around mind games, look at sophie she doesn't have any mind games, just TAS B and 236B and her side throw.

Astaroth has the best legit Ring out game in the game, i13 crouch grabs that tech after 4G, Just frame throws that can lead to half life combos, retarded wall splat damage. The most bullshit corner pressure in the game. Range. 6AB CH at i12 to punish aggression. BodySplash. And he's post GI game is scarier than most.

The issue is how you play him. And what engine SC5 will be running on. Aside from hilde step, I have never met a problem I couldn't fix with just picking Astaroth. Really everything is easier with the character.

I know what you guys want, and that is better mids. Let's say if Asta's 6K was +2 on NH. That would make the character broken. I honestly think that.

Asta is very close to the perfect design, I think Asta players love his JF throws so much they forget he has so much other bullshit. And to be honest I can't do his JF throws very well, but I have never needed to for three years I have played him.

OK, first Sophie is better than Asta because! she doesn´t have to focus on mind games! She just takes half of your life away... or not. ^^ Asta can do the same, but it´s never guaranteed! No matter what you try after jf B+G cm-throw... It´s just mind games if you try to get more than 80 damage points.

And yeah, Kilik VS Asta is almost fair, imo it´s even in Asta favor. What i meant was that Kilik is far better against most close combat characters than Asta, ´cause of Asura dance.

With Asta, you really feel the pressure a faster opponent sets on you, but with Kilik... Asura dance + BP = crazy

And guaranteed damage>>mind games imo.

And i still stick with my 7:3 Algol Asta match up. But hey, at least we both say Algol has the upper hand.

But yeah, Asta corner pressure is awesome, but hey, at least 4B is still usefull in some way.

Crouch throws... To be honest, i don´t like them that much.

6AB is actually -18! and has a shitty range.

Bodysplash has fucked up frames, even on NH. Other than that, the Agi is awesome. yeah.

And to be honest, 6K on NH is actually +4! Prepatch it was +6!! on NH. ;)

But i agree with you that this Asta is close to perfection. But that doesn´t mean he couldn´t get buffed a little here and there... And jf cm-throws out imo plz.

An odd fix/ nerf, I thought maybe get rid of hiss normal standing A+G and B+G throws and just keep the command throws, you're only going to be doing those anyway... Yeah, get rid of the JF in the throws but keep the throws themselves... Another thing, get rid of 2B+K??? This move is bad besides the damage and pushback, but I'd rather have 2A+K than this, 2A+K reaches farther and catches rolls better, and the damage isn't too far off from the 2B+KA+G combo... I really want this move to splat the opponent closer to Asta in SC5 through... The new 2B+K could be a "better mid" maybe a Guard Breaker like Rocks...

Also think Asta should have a couple of floor grabs which are parts of combo's/ cant be teched in time. Like Rock does. If you guess the right grab you can get out of if but if not your in for plenty of damage. I would love to see any of these be guaranteed CH 66A,B, A+G, 1A_B+G; 63214:B+G, A+G, 1A_B+G; OR 22_88B4, A+B, 1A_B+G.
This could add some to his wake up game. Maybe even bring some mind games into play.

Of course nerf the damage if necessary.

Since Asta is made from Rock, it would be cool to see them get merged into one character in the storyline, like the opposite story of Seigfried in a way...

I think that SC4's Astaroth is one of the most balanced char is the game, along with Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu, Cervantes or Lizardman. Chars that are strong but not overpowered, and that got weakness too.
The only thing he *may* need is better spacing tool, and that's it, IMO.

I think Asta is pretty balanced but maybe one of the most retarded characters in the game when it comes to gameplay. If you have decent defense and decent mindgame you can win the match with 2 moves, Bullrush and CT-Throws.( Insert slow Camera Zoom on Jag The Gemini here :) ).

I really hope his Throws get a bit nerfed (maybe just the range, or the damage, not too much). In Comparison he should get few extra moves which make him more versatile overall. Like Saitoh said something to space, or a good punishing move again (66B!!!) So he would gain one dimension to his gameplay.

But for god sakes his throws are stupid :)

Agree? :P

And here it comes again. Ok doc, let´s see... bullrush and command throws are imo not! enough to play a very good Asta in SCIV. Bullrush does shitty damage... If the opponent can step well, you get whifféd punished for it many times.

Imo bullrush is overrated... And his throws are "fine". It´s typical for Asta since 10 years! It´s just the jf-version. That should be taken out, but nothing more.

And what you call "retarded" is almost a perfect example of what i love, or should i rather say "loved" about older SoulCalibur games.

Just keep it simple and clean. -_^

Ha, I PERSONALLY dont like this style, he does way too much damage through throws, which are like you said a pain in the ass to break. I dont know if only taking away the JF Versions is enough, hmmm...not sure.

I just think nerfing his throws and in addition giving him back 66B would make him more fun to play. More versatile...You can use 66B for punishing, to space etc....good move :)

Back