Astaroth Videos Thread

Anyone got any tips against Natsu? I think if I did 2k on wakeup when she did the unblockable I would have stuffed it.

The way that Natsu used the UB bomb is actually a Tech Trap. If you tried to 2K on wake-up you would have been CH for more damage. Never get up to bombs unless you can react to the normal ones and block them (the purple coloured ones.)

As for just general tips? Try to make her work to get close to you. While Natsu is very good at getting in when she wants to, Astaroth has some pretty great tools to make Natsu have to be more creative. Try to use more 4A at mid range. On CH 4A gives you a free low throw attempt. When she starts to close in I suggest trying to use 6B. CH 6B leads to 22K 22B, or if you have meter you can do 22K 22B BE 66B. Natsu is very vulnerable to these moves since her strings can sometimes lead her to being CH. Try to learn which moves go into PO and which moves are her actual string enders. This will help you decide how to respond. Also never forget the power of his throws. Mix-up your mids with Asta's scary command throws. If your reaction time is good, try to 28B+G her HO (hover) moves (the moves where she jumps high into the air). This will give you some great damage and make her think twice before using HO again.

Also another thing I noticed in your video is that you do WR KA alot. Don't ever do the A part. It is always better to leave out A. Even if you get the normal hit for WR K, people can still jump over the A and whiff punish you. On CH doing 44B after WR K is better for damage.

I hope this helps some. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

The way that Natsu used the UB bomb is actually a Tech Trap. If you tried to 2K on wake-up you would have been CH for more damage. Never get up to bombs unless you can react to the normal ones and block them (the purple coloured ones.)

As for just general tips? Try to make her work to get close to you. While Natsu is very good at getting in when she wants to, Astaroth has some pretty great tools to make Natsu have to be more creative. Try to use more 4A at mid range. On CH 4A gives you a free low throw attempt. When she starts to close in I suggest trying to use 6B. CH 6B leads to 22K 22B, or if you have meter you can do 22K 22B BE 66B. Natsu is very vulnerable to these moves since her strings can sometimes lead her to being CH. Try to learn which moves go into PO and which moves are her actual string enders. This will help you decide how to respond. Also never forget the power of his throws. Mix-up your mids with Asta's scary command throws. If your reaction time is good, try to 28B+G her HO (hover) moves (the moves where she jumps high into the air). This will give you some great damage and make her think twice before using HO again.

Also another thing I noticed in your video is that you do WR KA alot. Don't ever do the A part. It is always better to leave out A. Even if you get the normal hit for WR K, people can still jump over the A and whiff punish you. On CH doing 44B after WR K is better for damage.

I hope this helps some. If you have more questions feel free to ask.
Thanks so much for the tips! All of this will definitely come in handy.

I made a pretty fancy Soul Calibur 5 vid with some commentary, albeit, not the most professional gameplay and my attempt of giving advice.

Note: Eva1337 is my Youtube account.

Here is the final of a little local tournament in which I played :

!

I played bad, expecially in the first 4 rounds (super horrible lol) but this was my first tournament and I was nervous.
Any advice would be very appreciated.

Here is the final of a little local tournament in which I played :

!

I played bad, expecially in the first 4 rounds (super horrible lol) but this was my first tournament and I was nervous.
Any advice would be very appreciated.
I'd suggest using 4A and 6K a lot more, as they are pretty quick and are awesome counters. When using 2A+G_2B+G, go for 2B+G more, as they'll expect a player's reflex to go for 2A+G. For a good mix-up, try throwing out a 2B+K for a quick and painful low and just generally be more aggressive. If you keep getting caught by quick attacks, use moves that have faster frames, like 6K and 4B. You're doing a good job keeping up Guard damage, but try 4 if they are close to you, as 44[A] takes a bit to wind-up. Also, I am not sure if Natsu's 4B+K (need confirmation on that input) puts her in crounching state while it lands, but if it does, you can jump it with 3A+G_3B+G for an awesome punish. I'll test it today.

Hey guys, I've been lurking in this forum for a while and decided to join.
This forum seems like it's really the place to be in terms of all the technicalities of SCV.

Anyway, just thought I'd show you something I thought about - And please tell me if I'm being delusional about it actually working:

would love some feedback regarding this little trick.

also, here's what I wrote at the youtube page itself, to explain myself - in case anyone misses it:
Well, seeing as my background is mostly in Street fighter games, I just had to try and make a reset for this ol' lug. It seems to work in theory, and the theory is: you start your BnB (still trying to max out damage while maintaining the body splash's safety..) opponent thinks you whiffed, mashes, and you punish with this nice move which crumples and let you restart the combo ! Opinions appreciated!

Is it really worth it to potentially lose your wall combo just for a BT B+K? If I landed the 44[A] I would take the already high guaranteed dmg.

*also you only used one W! you could had continued your combo.

I think it's a decent parlor trick that has a good chance of working on a semi-intelligent opponent about once. That's not something you wanna keep tossing out there though, you're gonna lose tons of damage if you do.

Is it really worth it to potentially lose your wall combo just for a BT B+K? If I landed the 44[A] I would take the already high guaranteed dmg.

*also you only used one W! you could had continued your combo.
I know about the one W!, but for some reason maxi always end up with with his face on the wall which doesn't allow for much options (he drops too fast)
thanks for the comment!

I think it's a decent parlor trick that has a good chance of working on a semi-intelligent opponent about once. That's not something you wanna keep tossing out there though, you're gonna lose tons of damage if you do.
Yeah, in my mind it's a clutch trick to use when you've got nothing to lose and you can capitalize on the opponent's rashness (let's say - in a situation he has way more health than you)
Thanks ! :)

So I won the last tournament in France, fully reppin' the big old golem =)

Here's the vids :

1:44:40 = DTN (Mitsurugi) vs Saitoh (Astaroth)

00:28:15 = Saitoh (Astaroth) vs Scud (Nightmare)
01:14:02 = Dina (Pyrrha) vs Saitoh (Astaroth)
01:20:47 = Saitoh (Astaroth) vs Keev (Nihgtmare)

00:02:43 = Saitoh (Astaroth) vs Keev (Nightmare)

The whole time codes for every others matches are in the description if you want to check them too, some very good matchs here.

You have revitalized my interest in Asta again. After getting destroyed at Final Round I felt like Asta couldn't compete, but I now see that I maybe just need to rely on his attacks more than his throws.

Didn't you switch to Maxi?

I wanted to test my SC5's Astaroth. Despite the victory, I'm still not fully sure he'll be a true contender in the end.

This is some pretty trippy stuff.

Watching Saitoh play is like watching myself, and I don't get that vibe from a lot of astaroth players. There are a few instances of you doing some wierd stuff I wouldn't have thought of, like trading the damage at the end of combo for a scary 44[b ] mixup.

I'm not sure I agree with those choices exactly but I have to admit it's giving me pause and making me look at my fundamentals and overall strategy.

Thanks for posting those.

I wanted to test my SC5's Astaroth. Despite the victory, I'm still not fully sure he'll be a true contender in the end.

I'd like your reasoning behind this when you get the time to respond. I think SC4 Astaroth was much more efficient, and most of the cast is doing Asta-damage from their mixups now anyway. Likewise, he's slow, so some of his pressure will be just guarded in the future. That's my reasoning on why he'll be low tier.

About your matches, they were very entertaining with solid play throughout. There was very little 44A from what I saw, but I think you were focusing on position (you stayed in the mid-range sweetspot). In the future, I don't think 44B mixups will work due to just guarding. Your movement and fundamentals are very strong though.

Also, you randomly used 66A quite a bit. Any particular reason? Even when you hit with it, it wasn't hit-confirmed.

You hit with 214AAA... a few times, but there's a really easy way to hit-confirm the first hit. If you tap the second A little late, you will either get the full 90-damage PT and if they block, you get the second A and the others to come out.

Some quick Astavids fighting fellow Norwegians in casual. Just practising for the nationals.

Kamiaka (Asta) VS Taokaka (Tira)

Kamiaka (Asta VS Sprudling (Leixia)

Any advise for improving my astaplay is welcome and appreciated. I'm not even sure if I'm playing him correctlyXD

Some quick Astavids fighting fellow Norwegians in casual. Just practising for the nationals.

Any advise for improving my astaplay is welcome and appreciated. I'm not even sure if I'm playing him correctlyXD

Well done! I don't think is really possible to give you tips for improving your Astaroth since in both matches you did no mistakes...I like how nearly every throws you did was JF, any tips about doing it consistently?

In the second vid, some small suggestions...

You landed 44[A] and then just walked up. I assume you thought you were too far to combo A, B or 6B or whatever. At any range, 66K should connect. If you are a little closer, you can land 4A and get the free crouch throw attempt after.

That and 4[A+B] really sucks now. I only use it very sparingly if they are in the corner. It can get stepped so easily now....

In the first vid you had a ground throw broken. Would have been a good time to implement the free 66K BE that is guaranteed after having your throw broken.

Back