Basic Notations and Terminology

Newbie Silencer

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could clear something up. I was reading a Raphael post about the Verlok Envelopment (B+K) and I saw the terms AE and SEA. What do these mean?

Newbie Silencer

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could clear something up. I was reading a Raphael post about the Verlok Envelopment (B+K) and I saw the terms AE and SEA. What do these mean?

AE = pretty much means that he'll Auto-Evade ...such that he will only perform an evasive maneuver only if the attack is about to hit him (and follows his AE criteria). He has this in his prep stance and the end of his VE stance

SEA = Is both an AE (it'll dodge all highs in prep as long long as you enter stance without giving any commands), while you can also get into this sway stance by holding 2, which will manually evade highs.

Newbie Silencer

AE refers to the evading property of SEA/SEB which automatically occurs if you enter Prep and do nothing while the opponent attacks. SEA is done manually by holding 2 during Prep. Should you continue to hold 2 you will enter SEB and back to SEA and so on. SEA and SEB gives you access to different moves.

Newbie Silencer

"Please add"

How do you grapple break??

If they grab you with A+G, then you have to hit A when they grab. If they grab you with B+G, then you have to hit B when they grab. So it's partly a guessing game, 50/50 chance. ;P However, if you duck in time you can avoid the grab altogether.

If you know a character has a ring out throw with one of the buttons, usually B, always break that one near the edge...

Newbie Silencer

Add

How do you do a guard impact?

To do a guard impact just press forward and X or back and X, depending on if you want to knock them down or push them back , right before an attack lands. Add a diagonal down direction to that for lows.

Newbie Silencer

Ok, and the definition and specifics of an "unsafe move", cause im a bit confused about it and its conditions.

Newbie Silencer

an "unsafe move" would be a move that if thrown out would take quite a few frames to block again. or a move that has a big "wind up" by that I mean...for example maxi's 44B. It requires maxi to raise his chucks over his head....take a step and THEN swing. So i would be interuptable through out that whole move and theres nothing i can do about it. Someone will probablly explain it better than me.

but keep in mind...."unsafe" moves are not "unsafe" at all times. there ARE appropriate times to throw out every move in ones move set. some moves not so much as others but you get the idea.

you may hear something like "maxis BL B is unsafe on block" which means if someone blocks it, it is easily counterable being that I have to go through a couple stances to get back to neutral so I can block

I hope that sheads some light.

welcome to the forums by the way

Newbie Silencer

Ok, and the definition and specifics of an "unsafe move", cause im a bit confused about it and its conditions.

Hot Rod basically gave the qualitative version of it already. But as far as quantifying it though, it pretty much differs between the character you're up against.

For example, against Taki or Sophie, a -lot- of moves become unsafe that would normally be safe against the rest of the cast because Taki's A is like i10 or i9 and Sophie's Angel step 236B is almost as fast AND has range.

As a good average though, anything -15 or more on block is the border between safe/unsafe as far as I've seen.

Newbie Silencer

Okay thanks guys

and thanks Hot Rod, ive been reading these forums and it seems like a very good community and i wanted to join, i hope i can contribute back to what ive read.

Newbie Silencer

What does the following mean?

Oki
Okemi
Okizeme
Tech Trap -> ok, some moves hit all techs, but what makes it a trap?

What is a Tech Trap?

A tech trap is a move that is guaranteed to connect if executed while the opponent is attempting to perform Ukemi (tech). Ukemi is when you press Guard plus (optionally) a direction to recover after being knocked to the ground.

Tech traps are possible because when you perform Ukemi you create a fairly small frame window where you are vulnerable to certain attacks.

Newbie Silencer

In plainer English, some characters will beat you knock you to the ground and then beat the crap out of you some more with a move that will only hit if, say, you lay there. So you get wise to the idea and start teching left - then he beats the crap out of you with another move you didn't see coming. When you realize he has different tech options for almost any situation, that's when you shit in your pants and your opponent smiles, knowing he's won the mind game.

Newbie Silencer

I put a link to this page in my favorites for a long time. its actually easier than it looks to memorize what all that confusing crap is. the hardest part is the abbreviations for all the differetn stances to all the different characthers

Newbie Silencer

Its funny, before I came to this website I didnt know anything about frame's or these legends you guys use. Now after joining this site I feel like I'm in school. I am more confused here than in any algebra class I have taken before. I know nothing about frames but screw it I do fine without knowing it so why start trying to learn this stuff now?

Newbie Silencer

Cause you'll do better after you learn it. Of course, it really just depends on how good you want to be. If you just want to be a casual player, never going to tourneys, then yeah, you're fine not knowing. But don't expect to go to tourneys and do well with just a casual knowledge of SC.

Newbie Silencer

Some amazing information is in this thread and it lets me actually use some of the even crazier info in the other threads. Thanks for deciding to update it and help the rest of us idiots out guys, it is really appreciated.

Back