Cervantes Match Vids

My grueling end-of-tourney gauntlet against Ceirnian and then Krayzie.

I played really well for 10 straight games. Alas, I needed to play really well for 13 straight, but my execution powers left me.

http://www.twitch.tv/finestko/b/312017771

Really great videos. In one match you hit a BT B+K and 66B to the wall, if the BBB would not have missed you would have won that match. I dont know if it was a glitch or BBB simply does not connect in there.

Tournament battle that would have gotten me 3rd place if I wouldn't have done the embarassingly stupid mistake of not reacting to Night's CE at all.

Really great videos. In one match you hit a BT B+K and 66B to the wall, if the BBB would not have missed you would have won that match. I dont know if it was a glitch or BBB simply does not
That's due to the overall janky nature of Cervantes' wall game. The BBB tends to whiff a lot, camera angles change, etcetera. As doc (I think) pointed out, it's a crapshoot.

Here's more of me gauntleting, plus EXTRA BONUS NERD RAGE*:
*I can't remember the last time a video game pissed me off as much as the janky Mitsu shit which kept murdering me in Winner's Finals prior to this.

That's due to the overall janky nature of Cervantes' wall game. The BBB tends to whiff a lot, camera angles change, etcetera. As doc (I think) pointed out, it's a crapshoot.

Here's more of me gauntleting, plus EXTRA BONUS NERD RAGE*:
*I can't remember the last time a video game pissed me off as much as the janky Mitsu shit which kept murdering me in Winner's Finals prior to this.

Awesome match. You have inhuman reflexes to dodge all those 4B, 33_77B and 66B. Was this online or offline? What sort of controller are you using?

I can honestly say Hates has the best Cervantes right now.

My stick broke and I'm now using a pad... and to my surprise, iGDR has become my new best friend. I also can honestly say Cervantes is a pad character. :/

You're way too kind. I still feel like I don't really understand how I should be playing this game. I'm figuring it out, though.
In the meantime, don't give up on your stick, man! Pads are evil.

From what I've seen, you are playing Cervantes wonderfully, it's almost identical to mine except with way better iGDR execution.

I still feel Cervantes' range is one of his weaknesses. Spacing is your enemy in this game now. That's why Mitsu and some others can be extremely annoying now. We simply lack excellent and fast tools to check spacers. iGDR would be the best option but missing it means game over for us. So in short, sometimes approaching them can be tedious. imo.

Pads are unholy, I agree.

As you can see in the videos, I'm actually getting a decent amount of mileage out of 6A+B in terms of long range options. It's potentially nasty if your opponent steps, but the risk is less than tossing out iGDR. Another benefit is that you can combo it into a CE for 98ish damage, provided you have the meter to burn.

Overall, I go back and forth when it comes to my opinion of Cervantes' range game. 3B tip launches are ridiculously awesome, and that implies to me that the pirate can be effective at longer range, but I'm finding that it's easier to just get in and overwhelm people, particularly since the backdash nerf.

I'm with you that one. It's been a few days since I played, but I really didn't mind long-range because had enough tools to not suck at it. 6A+B is great, along with the safe and forward-moving 33_99B, 66A is a bit slow but has great range for catching step, and the backstep in 44B might actually get out of range of something. My favorite thing about the long-range game, though, is what you said: it's just that that much easier to backstep and confirm your opponent's whiff into a 3B.

I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable with neither. While I love 6A+B I find it somewhat slow and quite tedious if stepped. 33B is an excellent tool for pressure too but it's quite linear and that frightens me. 66A feels heavy. 44B is nice too but only during certain situations. Maybe, I'm not enforcing my anti-step game well, who knows but you guys have excellent and valid points there. I wont argue with that.

Being caught backstepping is an automatic CH so that may be quite risky. As Hates said, Cervantes' best bet would be getting in and go ape-shit on them. With caution of course.

First of all good Matches Hates, your SC5 Cervy is way better than your SC4 Cervy :)

I'd really have a look into 8[B+K]. Especially against such a poke happy Mitsu, every 2A, 6B2, 2BK etc can mean 100 DMG when you have a read, and genver sure did have some tendencies with poking. Even with the easy BBB or 66B followup its 81 DMG. And of course -4 on Block. When you are close to a wall, its close to instant win...152 DMG without any BE and 182 DMG with one CE with a 66B, 66B, 6A+B CE iGDR followup.

152 with 8B+K, 66B, 66B, 1A:B, iGDR.

And i also use 6A+B, funny how this move became viable after patch. I really dont feel Cervantes has an issue with range, i think his is ok. I sometimes play with Keev online who is the master of spacing and one just have to be really carefull, since every mistake will kill you. You just have to pay a lot of attention to your moves, when in doubt, dont do it. This is how at least i feel i became a lot better. Whiffing in SC5 hurts a lot.

I'll upload three Matches of me this evening, one where i use a lot of 1B+K, one where i spam 1AB against Keevs monster defense and one where i try to use a lot of 6A+B against Keev to stop his backstepping/spacing. He ended up blocking most but its just to show how those moves can be used imo.

Unfortunately it takes a while since my internet upload suuuuucks.

Just watching some play from the championship

Around 5:44 you can see a kinda dumb and kinda awesome blow back on Leixia's AA BE. Why is it dumb? Because Leixia connects on run counter and Cervantes can still GI the last hit. Why is it awesome? Because Cervantes is caught in a run counter with the BE and can still GI the last hit.

Back