Cervy Openers & Combos Discussion

Alright Babalook I can pull off Fc A+BBBBB more than I thought I could!

It seems to require rythm which I never noticed before lol and thus B, B+K, B, B+K, etc. at a moderate-fast pace does it for me (2 buttons). I use the same button configuration for all the characters I use so I refuse to go hard at configuring multiple B related presets just for Cervantes.

I want to learn the specific amount of B's that need to be pressed though so it becomes more natural to me and then I could reduce the need for extra mashing and get more comfortable around a specifc speed. Do u know how many B's are required to be pressed?

I also had the chance to get some official SC4 practice in with him from his SC:BD self that i'm forced to use at the moment and he is gonna require more time to use than alot of other characters for sure. That's because its not cool messing up the timing on iGDR and getting basic DC (so frustrating) and because of other major damage differences I dropped 4A as well since 2A+B is more than enough doing damn near the same damage with greater benefits like being mid, tracks, etc.

Other than that he is so good. Underrated kind of good and I even think he is better than Setsuka (whom I think is fun but to be honest somewhat shitty and overrated now) and I use to think it was the other way around. His unsafety on things like 3B and 4A+B is in general a non issue because its only -14 and the reward is much greater. So the warped issue on Cervantes unsafety isn't bad at all like most (and admittedly myself) thought.

Anyway thanks and things are coming around just gotta the execution on the 214:B and 214:6 motion down at a higher percent rate and touch up on Fc A+BBBBBBB down and he should be ready to use.

with the FC A+BBBB dont just use it like 2 or 3 times a match like the other high level cervys cause you get like no mind games if you use it that little and docvisso knows the exact amount of Bs

I don't see the point in using that move at all. CF pressure might be good but Cervy isn't good at CF in general so that don't really matter. Why do a move like that so you can run in and mix up when you coulda cut to the chase and ran up and mixed up in the first place. pointless move seems like. I like when Cervy attempts that move, cause if they screw up you can punish it, and if they don't who cares, no harm, they still have to run up. I don't know how many of those equals CF though.

Somethingunique don't be silly, Setsuka is way better than him.

Somethingunique don't be silly, Setsuka is way better than him.
No she isn't. Didn't you get your ass whooped by a Cervantes player who didn't even use his best stick? I would think after you wanted to challenge a Cervantes for $1k, then getting destroyed, you would have learned your lesson.

Please stop commenting any anything to do w/Cervantes, you have no idea what you are talking about and are playing theory fighter. FC A+BBBB is a fantastic move if you can land it, it's plus +13 so arguing against it is beyond stupid.

SU: You are becoming a true pirate player if you get angry messing up iGDR and get DC instead haha. Join the club

Babalook:

To be honest 2-3 times is around the number of times I plan on using Fc A+B. One purpose is for the mind games that u speak of but to be more specific making my opponent question ducking and the other is for pressure near the wall for a free aB.

Using it to much imo seems to be useless out in the open as u can achieve the needed mind games through limited use once u lock up ur opponent from ducking with it. I do agree with Sword_Lord that the mixup can be achieved without it since it guarantees nothing if ur not next to the wall and all u will be doing is running up afterwards into another mixup that could have been executed without it. All in all though using it does not hurt Cervantes and only benfits him.

Sword_Lord:

Well its no use getting into the reasons because its Setsuka and most will think that I'm insane for such a claim. I have been testing Setsuka against a wide range of characters now (hello I'm on the east coast) and she has apparent issues that would be even more profound once her opponents stop letting her get away with 1B:B (her only high damaging NH combo starter besides B+K).

This is an excellent example of eliminating 1B:B shenanigans taking away her best NH damage tool leaving her with virtually nothing but damage as a result of CH hunting. B+K is a super solid tool but also only applies post step as u won't see much punished with it. A solid defense provides limited access to any of her high damaging CH combos to be vague and unfortunately that is how she gets her damage that allows her to maintain standing in a match (even after considering all that her damage output as a result of CH's are good but don't outpace other characters in regards to top/upper-mid).

Nori:

Yeah its beyond annoying. Its either that or just basic 4B by accident. I'll get it down soon enough though but since the translation from PSP to PS3 does not apply here its gonna take a while.

I can't watch vids on the computer I'm on, but I'm assuming they GI'd the second B on 1B:B. That's what I do, GI and auto-GI it. It's still a good move, but you haven't found the sauce of using B+K as a mixup with 1AAA. She's incredibly solid at lockdown, then you can do that mixup. I'm not good at getting people to fall for ducking B+K, Killa6 is, that's why I suggested u see his vids. People who think they can block 1AAA on reaction get their asses handed to them by B+K.

Your use of the guard break at a wall for free damage sounds solid, I've never seen that before.

I usually end up doin 1B when I screw up igdr, then I realized 1B is actually a solid ass move. I suck with Cervy btw, just started usin him

u insist on talkin shit about me when you never have and never will play me. I would crush you with about any character in this game, but unless you want to come to atl we can't battle. So shut the fuck up and stop bein a bitch. I'm done with you

1) It was discovered november 2008 by either doc, franman or hates. Reading is your friend

2) You don't just suck w/Cervantes, you suck with everybody you use

Actually it was august the 16th :P

And common guys stop hatin on the Lord, at least there is some entertainment in his posts! :P

And btw i posted before that i do think babalook overuses FC A+BBB _way_ too much. It does no SG Damage at all, so thats of course not a reason to use it. If you overuse it its gonna be a ch festival for the opponent, SC does not work offline like it does online. People are gonna poke you out of it and get free ch's since its not a mixup if you do it all the time.

The game is out more than a year now and people still dont know how to play against Cervantes, Cervy has shitty frames, im not even talkig about his unsafeness, but also about his Frames on Hit. This is Cervys biggest weakness besides his step. In order to be successfull with him you have to overcome this weakness and concentrate more on whiffpunishing, punishing, good spacing etc...good defense overall.

If you run up your opponent and use powermids like 3B, 66B all the time you wont be too successfull against people who know his weakness. Right now they arent punishing 80% of his stuff, still dont attack after 3A+B or 2A+B on Hit..i wonder how long it takes them to realize that they are at +5 when they get HIT by those moves.. :P

I switched my Cervantes to a more defense play, actually i go for SG Damage with 44B, 11B and 8A+B:B+K...more spacing. With that kind of play i have the feeling i can win also against those people who really know his stuff, beeing super aggressive is cool against some players/chars, but overall i think thats the wrong way.

Sword Lord: Everybody that has played me and you will happily tell you there is a massive difference in skill level. Keep believing you can beat me. Why would I travel to ATL to play a trash scrub like you? LOL No thanks, it's not like you are ever gonna be good enough to qualify for another nationals and I know you won't be stupid enough to come back to TX, so I guess we'll never play and you're stuck being a scrub in ATL, which your fellow peers think you are BTW;)

Doc: I play defensive also, I've been preaching since day 1 it's the prefered way to go. Also, I'm looking forward to your vid of F+CABBBB, cause I still can't do it on pad haha

Anyone have some combos (excluding 8a+k) after CH 3B? I do a combo I got from Nori from when we last play
(CH 3B 1A+K 2B+K) I was just wondering what some other unique, strong combos there are after CH 3B

Anyone have some combos (excluding 8a+k) after CH 3B? I do a combo I got from Nori from when we last play
(CH 3B 1A+K 2B+K) I was just wondering what some other unique, strong combos there are after CH 3B
I think you mean CH 3B 4A+K 2B+K

Other combos off CH 3B

-iTP BT B+K iGDR 28B or 8A+B:B+K iGDR 28B

-22_88B 8A+K iGDR 28B

-8[B+K] *strong push back and ring out possibility behind Cervy*

-JF gunshot 11_77B or JF gunshot 44K for less damage but better wake up.

Nori the vid is already up, check the other thread!

on topic:

ch 3B~4A+K~2B+K
ch 3B~8[B+K]~11B
ch 3B~8A+B:B+K~iGDR 28B
ch 3B~iTP B+K~iGDR 28B

I use ch 3B~44A some times, since you always get free Damage due to the wakeup, do 11B or something like that, just check it in training!

Actually it was august the 16th :P

And common guys stop hatin on the Lord, at least there is some entertainment in his posts! :P

And btw i posted before that i do think babalook overuses FC A+BBB _way_ too much. It does no SG Damage at all, so thats of course not a reason to use it. If you overuse it its gonna be a ch festival for the opponent, SC does not work offline like it does online. People are gonna poke you out of it and get free ch's since its not a mixup if you do it all the time.

The game is out more than a year now and people still dont know how to play against Cervantes, Cervy has shitty frames, im not even talkig about his unsafeness, but also about his Frames on Hit. This is Cervys biggest weakness besides his step. In order to be successfull with him you have to overcome this weakness and concentrate more on whiffpunishing, punishing, good spacing etc...good defense overall.

If you run up your opponent and use powermids like 3B, 66B all the time you wont be too successfull against people who know his weakness. Right now they arent punishing 80% of his stuff, still dont attack after 3A+B or 2A+B on Hit..i wonder how long it takes them to realize that they are at +5 when they get HIT by those moves.. :P

I switched my Cervantes to a more defense play, actually i go for SG Damage with 44B, 11B and 8A+B:B+K...more spacing. With that kind of play i have the feeling i can win also against those people who really know his stuff, beeing super aggressive is cool against some players/chars, but overall i think thats the wrong way.

if you watch the video against noface i dont do it as much, and you say that thay would hit you out of it alot but the player useing it would can to be really dumb if they didnt relise there opponent is doig somthing about it.

sometimes you back up and catch them when they whiff a 2A or something which is pretty good imo, but i think you are doing it a bit too much as an offensive tool, running up and doin it...instead of this you should Throw a lot more or force BT Mixups at them when you can use iTP after a KND. Also you could do more 1K, b2 and try to get more + frames on closerange.

If i would play against you ( :P ), i would just be calm and block it all day, but if you would mix up your offense a bit more and use 1K and Throws more, people would get more afraid and then you could catch them more often with FC A+BBB imo.

Its hard to judge from online, but online people tend too just stay there, wait...and wait, and wait because they know there is lag and they dont wanna get caught by ch's. But offline you would see they would use more fast pokes which would make it more difficult imo.

babalook its really time for you to go to an offline meeting :P

Xeph: The combo I use isn't guaranteed. You can get out of it by Just Ukemi the last part, but it doesn't happen very often so I always use it. Easy, nice chunk of damage, but choose whatever works best for you.

sometimes you back up and catch them when they whiff a 2A or something which is pretty good imo, but i think you are doing it a bit too much as an offensive tool, running up and doin it...instead of this you should Throw a lot more or force BT Mixups at them when you can use iTP after a KND. Also you could do more 1K, b2 and try to get more + frames on closerange.

If i would play against you ( :P ), i would just be calm and block it all day, but if you would mix up your offense a bit more and use 1K and Throws more, people would get more afraid and then you could catch them more often with FC A+BBB imo.

Its hard to judge from online, but online people tend too just stay there, wait...and wait, and wait because they know there is lag and they dont wanna get caught by ch's. But offline you would see they would use more fast pokes which would make it more difficult imo.

babalook its really time for you to go to an offline meeting :P

im not sure if you watched to FT5 but i do all the things your listing but but instead of run grab i try to stay at a certain distance and do FC A+BBBBB(we need to come up with abbreiviation) because noface is very good at breaking grabs so i do this for him, but ya i have recently picked up grabing much more. Id like to but theres not much goen on offline with tekken around the corner.

Xeph: The combo I use isn't guaranteed. You can get out of it by Just Ukemi the last part, but it doesn't happen very often so I always use it. Easy, nice chunk of damage, but choose whatever works best for you.

I've noticed, the JFUkemi has happened before to me. But, majority of the time, it works- and it's a very nice combo (dmg wise and looks)

I found this vid dont know if its been pointed out before

The description has all the notation and notes on his Gi's etc which i thought was very nice. it was also cool to see a vid that wasnt just about combo's but about where to use his autoGi and teleports :)

I found this vid dont know if its been pointed out before

The description has all the notation and notes on his Gi's etc which i thought was very nice. it was also cool to see a vid that wasnt just about combo's but about where to use his autoGi and teleports :)

alot of it is wrong and wouldnt work in a match or be garenteed

really? damn. anything in particular that just wouldnt work, like granted i wouldnt be trying to b2 opponents attacks that have jump properties on reaction and obviously the command grabs are not guaranteed. what abuot lets say the use of his teleport moves are wrong in the vid or is description. as i didnt know some of his moves did what they did and found it useful .. now i guess i should forget what i learned cause its not right?

like i havent been trying to incorporate his autogi into my game cause it seems no one uses it till i saw this vid to see where it could be used. and stuff like B+K which i didnt understand the description made sense and i could see a use for the move...

Back