Character Matchup Discussion & Questions about Matchups

Character Match-Ups Discussion.

NM versus Yoshi, I get PWND by his guessing game and quick attacks. Most of the time i find my self countering with 44K, And if it hits, i usually finish the combo with 66B, A+K (mid air grab just for show)

Most of Yoshi's stance mixups are pretty easily readable if you play against him enough times.

On wake up, instead of getting up immediately, try siderolling. It completely negates SDGF and REF mixups on wake, and makes DGF K the only viable option after going into DGF. His 3B hits grounded and catches sideroll, though, so it's probably not best to make a habit of siderolling every time you get knocked down.

Great thing about the vs Yoshi matchup is that not only are most of his lows blockable on reaction, they are also punishable by WS B. Take advantage of that shit. 9K and 9B are also good if you know the low is definitely coming.

If you're getting rushed down, fish for CH 1K in-between rushes. If you land it, you have the advantage. Use the opportunity to create distance or begin your own rushdown (not recommended against Yoshi). You can also try 6K or 66K to interrupt.

Coming from using Yoshi a lot recently, I'm gonna say that B+K is a good thing against iMCF happy Yoshi. Rolling away also works very well because the effective range for DRG wake up is very short.

Of course, his biggest wake up tool is 3B. After a ground hit it gives a lot of advantage, and Yoshi can dash in for a very effective 3B/2A+B/iFC3K mixup.

My state has 3 yoshi players so I'm building up some decent exp in this matchup. I dunno who has advantage in the matchup, too early for me to say. Feels pretty fair.

Good spacing is key in this matchup (as in most), but seems extra effective here because Yoshi lacks long range attacks in general.

FC 3K and DGF K are free 33B6 on guard but a bit difficult. I'll be practicing it though cause that's the juice.

GS A, NSS K, and NSS bA all give yoshi free 3B on guard (as do a lot of other moves) so don't get too crazy. His 2K is also really good vs NSS because of it's incredibly fast TC.

I struggle a lot with Night vs Sieg. It feels like Sieg makes better use of his Zweihander's range, so it's really hard closing distance against him. He always seems to keep me at an uncomfortably long range; effective for Sieg's moves, but not so much for Night's.

The few moves I struggle against are Sieg's 1AA and WS AA, mainly because they look so similar, and while 1AA is Low->Low, WS AA is Low->Mid.

Evil must prevail! How do I conquer this epic showdown?

why are you trying to get up close to seig? you don't have to because your long range mixup is better. 11B him. nm agA has more range than sieg's as well so make use of that. sieg 1AA and WS AA really don't look all that much alike, you just need some more practice. WS AA is mid, low not low, mid. both 1AA and WS AA are a free WS on guard. you could also try blocking the first hit of either, then doing 9B or 9K

if you block sieg's 3 do 1K or 6K to beat knee attack for punish

the matchup is complicated so maybe check out my strategy guide, the second post of that topic has some matchup tidbits

Hm, I guess I was just using the wrong moves against Sieg. I suppose fighting Night vs Amy too much forced me into a 'close-range Night' mindset. I'll start pouring through these threads again and see which moves I should be using. Thanks.

Most of Yoshi's stance mixups are pretty easily readable if you play against him enough times.
The thing is, most people don't play against Yoshimitsu a lot because they're to busy fending off Siegfried and other Nightmares, and the occasional Kilik or Maxi.

Character Matchup Discussion & Questions about

hey guys Amy is cheap, her 1A is guaranteed nearly every time you go into NSS or GS. blocked WS is free 1A, 33B6 is free 1A, 66K6 is free 1A (GS KK loses)

11K blocked > step will not step her 6BB because it's too god damn fast. B+K sucks in this matchup for evading things, try more bA. sidestep is your only hope but beware that cutting your step short with a guard will make you vulnerable to second hit of her BB. 11K blocked > step low guard will block 1A

at close range amy can interrupt 88AB between hits on block with 6BB

obnoxious

You can GI the second hit of 22_88AB on block anyway, can't you? Although just interrupting it with 6BB would be easier.

more anti-Sieg:

bA is like pretty much the best defense against most of sieg's KEY blocked stance transitions including 3, WS , 22, 88... although depending on transitions there are ways to beat out bA however... you severly limit the choice sieg can do and you're dealing much better damage compared to what sieg can deal out.

This strategy works best vs sieg's 3

bA beats out ALL options from this transition.... including SCH K, SCH B, SCH A... what seig can do is SCH roll to another SCH on the side that bA doesn't track (NM's left side) ... however a slight delay bA will catch that as well...

other transitions like WS ... SCH B will beat it.. but once again.. once you start getting them doing other stuff you always got 6K to fall back to...

another thing against sieg's SCH stance is just simply step left and guard (actually i think step right and guard probably works too)...... so... i guess it's probably possible to land a side hit bA against sieg in this match up.

.... once again... people think sieg vs NM is in sieg's advantage? lol

-LAU

another thing against sieg's SCH stance is just simply step left and guard (actually i think step right and guard probably works too)...... so... i guess it's probably possible to land a side hit bA against sieg in this match up.
-LAU

Yea, you can step left or right, it doesn't matter.

step right works better vs his stance IMO. both are ok though

bA6 is nice because if he tries to do 3B or WS B and block in any way it will hit him. you mainly gotta worry about him going to B+K and SBH Bing you. only other thing is from WS B blocked it loses to B or A.

bA6 even works decently against 22_88 stuff once again not unbeatable but it really limits their options

-LAU

I'd rather not try it against 88 because the most common followup for that is SRSH [K] which TCs

I'd rather not try it against 88 because the most common followup for that is SRSH [K] which TCs

that's true :)

but it's range dependent... depending on how far you ar... bA might actually step out of SRSH K's range for you to GS kk/b them before they can recover.

-LAU

Can someone post some anti-Cervy stuff? I can't seem to beat Cervantes no matter what I do.

Can someone post some anti-Cervy stuff? I can't seem to beat Cervantes no matter what I do.

What moves seem to be giving you trouble? If you don't know what the notations for them are, then you should go through Cervy's moveset in training mode, and check also check his frame data.

Back