Character Matchup Discussion & Questions about Matchups

Character Matchup Discussion & Questions about

micro:
go back home that week ;)

Tiamat:

noted can't really comment much but i guess our difference in experience gives us different ratios.

-LAU

theoretical NM can be top tier if you really want me to argue about it....i15 punisher that can ringout and give you frame advantage AND anti step and extremely good range... iagA IS EWGF in SC4...
-LAU

Just ewgf alone isn't enough to make any Mishima top tier, btw.

Taki vs NM- 5/5.

I say this strongly. Taki has real good pressure on NM. Decent TC moves aswell.
NM can give Taki a hard time with good spacing and defense. Also, A+B is decent in this matchup.

Just ewgf alone isn't enough to make any Mishima top tier, btw.

stuff like WS being pretty much the best FC launcher
jagA
one of the best throws in the game
got one of the best RO games
got THE BEST wall game
got some of the best tech traps/anti-tech traps
decent damage.
excellent range

so lets see...

now you got a character with
good block punisher
good whiff punisher
good throws
good damage
good RO
good wall game
good tech trap game
good frame game
good range

this is starting to make NM sound like top tier... i don't think there's too many characters that can boast the above and if they can you can say they are top tier too.

but once again the above is theoretical game play.... sad part is... most people mix both of them too much

i wanna reiterate... theory yoshi is beyond god tier.

-LAU

Rii:

oh i forgot

welll... NM low tier version

Everything good is punishable...
iagA = high
throws could be broken
there's flaws with his stances which doesn't really truly guarantee anything they can sit back and block and break throws.
his fastest move is i14 which is mad slow..
besides form iagA and throws his horizontal sucks.
his poke game is one of the worst... it's pretty much relying on 3K and 1K which all the character has with exception to rock/asta
NM can easily be stepped
if you just sit back and wait for punishment he's got no good mixup that puts you at real threat.

conclusion..

NM is low tier.

-LAU

NM can be Top Tier with the following..

- need more useful low attacks!
- need more useful stun moves!
- need another stance!

Lizardman have a hard time punishing 88B

unless it's a point blank range which most players shouldn't be doing anyways.

-LAU

Yeah, the push back on 88B is pretty big and he doesn't really have anything that can reach.

/me adds 88B to the list of attacks he needs to use more.

Yeah, pushback + forced crouch doesn't leave much room for characters to punish. I remember Tiamat mentioning 88B in the Algol matchup and I'm inclined to agree, especially considering Algol players don't sidestep all that much.

So I need to start cramming anti-character strats for Evo soon. I've had pretty good experience against Astaroth, Cassandra, Ivy, Lizardman, and Yoshimitsu. I fought Amy, Maxi, and Cervantes a little bit too, but I don't have a really good feel against them yet, and I at least know the characters I main, but don't have direct experience against them. Any matchups I should pay particular attention to?

looking in your pool might be a good idea to see who your immediate opponents are haha

hmm... at a glance, there's AkakuzkinChaCha with Xianghua and Manta with Voldo.

chacha might use lizardman or mitsu or something too just as a heads up. X matchup is kinda straightforward and is just a matter of experience. always be thinking about when he may try to 44B evade something. be patient and try not to be around her 1A/throw range cause that's her sweet spot. remember that her AA is really fast so some things like CH 1K > FC K/WS K will no longer be foolproof frametraps

in voldo's case I think you should use 11K a lot (im a broken record) and step left like a whore when he's in front stance. the only things that can hit you for stepping left are AA, 2A, and 22A. first two are weak and have no range, 22A is slow so you can step guard block it. keep the pressure on him, stay in threat range even if you aren't actually attacking. if you get knocked down i believe you should roll right (opposite of your stepping direction) to avoid 2A+B. if he gets in BS you need to try to get out of range of his attacks if possible or force him to block something/knock him down if possible. his oki in BS is not so hot so don't stand up into BS 1A unnecessarily

Dont forget the international players (russian mitsu and french ivy)

Back