Character Matchup Discussion & Questions about Matchups

Character Match-Ups Discussion.

I'm having pretty hard trouble with NM vs Sophy, but it may have to do with both being heavily customized CAS's. Any tips for how to keep her from eating me alive in short range? Right now I'm using 6K as a punisher and (attempted) pushback. I also try to mix in 3K (for pushback and mid interrupts) and 4K (usually just the first one unless I'm 100% sure 4K will CH). 3AA and 3A2A are alright as mixups, but she can interrupt the second hit if the first is blocked and punish if 3AA is blocked. So, help?

they are using customized CAS? why dont you just customize your nightmare and make him even more unbalanced?

we only talk about stuff that applies to "versus standard" mode on this forum, so I really can't help you unless you start playing on standard rules.

If the designs are about equally good, I actually find it balances back to about where the characters are normally. Right now, here are the stats and skills of each build:

Sopitia (Soul Edge)
ATK 140%
DEF 144%
HP 145%
Soul Gauge Boost A
Auto Impact A
Start Dash A

Nightmare (Soul Edge Final Form)
ATK 150%
DEF 135%
HP 140%
Auto Unblockable Attack A
Venom Fang A
HP Drain A

So as you can see, in terms of stats we're fairly evenly matched. I hit a little harder, she soaks damage a little better. One of the big challenges is to not let her rip me apart in the first few seconds of the match when she has Start Dash going.

The hard part of the fight is if Sophy gets really close and can start sticking her safe BB out mixed in with other switchups. I find the challenge is just the character matchup. The CAS abilities don't really change the basic nature of the game, that I'm the slower, harder hitter and she is the faster and more agile fighter. It balances. Maybe a better way to put it is that when I play Standard VS with the same matchup it goes about the same way. The NM Web Theater thread actually has some great NM/Sophy matches though, believe me I watched them again and again last night. :-)

Nightbringer (NM CAS)
Male, w/Soul Edge Final Form

Tsurugi Shiragane
Mad-Eye Patch
Guardian's Neck Cloth
Leviathan Pauldrons
Usurper's Suit
Warthog Cuirass
Warthog Gauntlets
Asura Tassets
Bandages
Usurper's Greaves

This is my friend's Sophy.

Rosalyn (Sophitia CAS)
Female, w/Soul Edge

Horus Vizard
(nothing)
Priestess Mantle
Tiger Pauldrons
Full Leggings
Breastplate
Gorgon Gauntlets
Warrior Trousers
Short Socks
Merchant's Boots

I cannot believe I am seeing this.

The Soul Arenas are for serious gameplay discussion. I do not want to hear any more about CAS characters and crap.

Pretending that your aren't playing in special versus...

...don't use the 3A string often because it is very punishable, you should only really use it if you know you're gonna land an attack counter or run counter.

You should try using 1K more...
Cupui said:
here's how u use 1K
if it's CH. ATTACCCK!!!
if it's not or it's block stop attacking or
use B+K for whiffing your opponent who want to punish u. after they whiff use NSS A+B. and let them EAT 2A+B
It's a good trick using 1K

thx to my teacher who teach me this :P
Also try 66K6. If your opponent doesn't know any better you can interrupt her with GS A after. If she starts blocking both hits, you can mix it up with GS B6 and to go into GS again, or do GS to go into NSS attack from there.

Imo the 3a string works well if you mix it up with 3a2a6kk (most people tend to try and punish the blocked low) the double roundhouse from grim stride to me has ALWAYS worked after the 3a2a, I haven't seen it blocked yet(out of my 32games I've played nightmare). and 1a is decent if you mix it up with [1]a for the guard breaker if they think they can GI it.

I will admit that because its online the 3a2a6kk probably only works because of lag, but my local friends are pretty terrible so I have never bothered to test it on them.

Niichts said:
lalalalalala
that is just blatantly disrespectful. do not do that again.

You WILL follow the rules or I will start deleting your posts.

Man... okay, my cell phone must be on crack. I tried to post from it earlier today but the post isn't here. Oh well.

Tiamat, I think Niichts was mocking me, not you. I forgive him if so.

Regarding my original question, I didn't ask for any advice on CAS builds - I asked for tactical tips to fight Sophitia. I only got into the specifics of each build when someone asked me for mine. Simple as that. The fact that both characters are CAS may influence game balance, sure, but it isn't going to change frame data or effective fighting tools. That's what I asked about, and I got some great answers which I really appreciate (thanks guys). No disrespect was meant to anyone, and I'm a little surprised you'd call this a not-serious discussion. Pretty much everything posted above is relating to the actual matchup between the characters, which is based on the same tournament-level strategy you're saying should be here. Just finding out about a:G+A as opposed to a:G:A was invaluable (it's about a million times easier to do). The only thing CAS means is that there may be additional wrinkles in the match and the basic balance between the fighters may be altered. But frame data, tech traps, combos, viable pokes... all that stuff is exactly the same. To everyone who offered great info about how to use NM better, thanks! I will put it to the best use I can manage!

I'd say keep her out of range if you can, but she has moves that have ridiculous range (66B, 236236B, etc). a:G+A, 6A, 66A, 3B, 3AA (Use only if you know it will hit), 3A2A (Same as 3AA), bA, GS B, 1A, 3A+B (sometimes) should be your tools.

Best advice is to know your frames. Or rather, what can punish what on block. WS ~NSS (after blocking 236AA), WS K, A+K, 6K, 6A, a:G+A, 3B (long range whiffs), 3AA (long range whiffs) should be your tools.

2nd best advice is to survive using a poke-oriented strategy. 6K, 1K, WS K, 11K, 3K, 66K, a~NSS, 9K, 2A (sometimes).

That's it from me.

Let's try and keep this thread (and all others) spam free, guys.

That's good stuff, thanks.

I had noticed Sophy seems to have insane range on several of her moves now. In fact she seems rather like the total package. Speed, range, power, safety/recovery, crouch dash into tons of good moves... is there anything she doesn't really have? Not saying the match isn't winnable, just sort of agreeing with the seemingly-general consensus that Sisters are maybe a little too good. Cassy seems rough too (I have yet to play a really good Cassy but can see this in her move set and speed). She (Cass) seems better at damaging the Soul gauge too. However, Sophy has some nasty little tricks that I'm just terribly bad at reading right now (and working on it). She has one chain (don't know the commands) that is a turning mid hit and then a slow flying unblockable, then she also has a slow low unblockable that does little damage but just always seems to sucker me (and can start oki). I figure I need to train myself to use 9A or 9K against both of those moves, or maybe 6A against the flying unblockable. Does anyone know if it can be ducked?

Her 11A[A] is low, mid. It used to be steppable in one direction in SC3. Not sure about 4, though. Best bet would be to try and GI it, but she can mix up the timing to throw you off. As an alternative to GI'ing, you can 6K, 6A, a:G+A, or 9K it if you can react fast enough.

WS [A+B] is mid. Again, best bet is to GI it, but like 11A[A], the timing can be varied to throw you off. As an alternative to GI'ing, you can 1K, 3K or 4KK it if you can react fast enough.

Also, don't use 9A. 9K is vastly superior.

ok here's a good one...NM vs. Mina. She seems to out range or just plain beat out every A or B attack I try up front. So...suggestions...besides GI and Side Stepping.

oh mina? i have no idea what to do. she's slow up close so you could rush her down and get away with it more than against most characters. that's about all I know

IIRC, a lot of Mina's moves actually lose damage (and in the case of her launchers, even launching ability) up close, so I agree with Tiamat... probably better to get inside. Be wary of low ATs though (or do some of your own). :-P

ok...the one everybody needs to know...sisters/mitsu/yoshi...gogogogogogogo!!!

my thoughts on the yoshi fight...6K...a lot

mitsu space well and use a lot of B+K. yoshi no idea, probably the same thing. sisters, same thing but play safer than normal.

A word on Yoshi, Try to make his stances work against him if you can, Feint attacking works well. Then move to 8WR Right or left depending on the situation, Or even counter if he bet on a slow move.

Not to contradict you Tiamat, but for mitsu I'd say avoid NSS as a whole, unless its during a combo or say using it as a dodge. The "standoffs" are fun but are risky.

Back