Community Lives! <3

If the new SC:BD comes out as an add-on or whatever on the 360/PS3, or even just another balance patch, that would go a LONG way to giving players that wandered away a shot in the arm.

Adding an entirely new character that isn't already on the disk might be some hefty DLC, odds are better that they'll either give us the balance changes straight up, or do nothing at all. I'm hoping for the former although curly mustache would be my new main if we did get him.

If they do nothing, the community will probably be a repeat of SC3. A few active pockets, but nobody really playing or training as hard, and everyone focusing on other games more. But as far as pure tournament turnouts goes, let's just wait for the summer and see when everyone is out of school and such.

It's good to see the thread title changed. We should be talking about how to keep things alive than moping around worrying about who's playing what because it's going to be up to us since Namco is not going to do much for us.

I have been holding out hope that someday there would be a patch that would give this game the shot in the arm that it needs, but I'm sure that they would charge for it and it wouldn't make sense to bring out DLC for a game that a bunch of people probably traded in already unless you give it for free. Maybe BD could come to the console down the line, but by then most people would have moved on to Tekken 6 or something else by that time which is why I am thinking that they will just wait and make their changes in a new game they will use to make new money from instead of patching an existing one.

One thing for certain is that the series is not going anywhere. And this game is more fun than SF4 or the constant jugglefest of Tekken. And I still don't get why people can't play more than one fighting game since each of these play totally different from each other. We'll see what happens come summer.

i've been part of this community a short short time, i'd HATE to see it die. i'm going to try to get local shit up and going around here when school lets out; i know Atlanta has a dedicated player base.
i don't like SF4 at all; SC4 has SO much more substance than street fighter or tekken. this is a great series that can't die. :(

I can't do tournaments because I don't have the opportunity.
However, the community ain't dying. Because you got people like me: who posts and supports SC4.
Gotta return to college this June. Just when I thought was done with school.
Heave ho.......

Community Dying?

How many posts this thread has gotten so quickly with so many positive views proves how alive this forum is.

We lost some of my local players to Street Fighter 4. We just have more people that would like to play SF4, so that's what they play. There are a couple people that play Soul Cal still. I got so much going on right now, trying to get back into shape so I don't become a freakin diabetic, playin basketball, and playing more disc golf, not to mention trying to do more things with my 2 and 5 year old daughters.

I try to be active in my community, but our boards are pretty much useless, nobody really communicates, and there's like 2 or 3 of us who play SC now, with me being the top one in town, which really isn't saying much if you've seen me play. I don't have a lot of time to practice and keep my game sharp, and if I did, there's no incentive to really do it since we don't get together that much to play.

Good luck to the rest of you tho, keep it going.

It's not even a year, and threads like this come up? SC turnouts seem to be fine (at least here on the EC), and if the hype (like the one from WCG Fighter Club) is anywhere near what I saw, then this game has no (apparent) problems. Just keep playing your game and having fun. I know WCG made me retake my interest in SC (plus being a great casual game while being interesting to look at, unlike SF and VF).

And I hope I don't change my mind later on, lol.

if worst comes to worst i may beable to host some gettogethers at my mothers warehouse as weird as that may sound there would like two to three TV's and idk how many xboxs/ps3 maybe i could get some of my freinds to let me borrow theres who know but im not letting you guys in So. Cal. hide cause your scared of what cervantes can become.

Community Dying?

come on now, do you really think that the first brand-new Street Fighter game in however many years "is just craze?"

Well, that certainly explains why almost everytime I play SCIV at my college with Frost, there are asians trashtalking each other as well as bouncing up and down on the gaming chairs they are sitting on like a freakin' earthquake is occurring under their asses....er... I fear I said too much *goes into flea stance and bounces away* o_0.

Hai.

Sorry, "newcomer" here. I was part of the old GI community, quit SC (for various personal reasons), and I've just come back.

Ummm... what did I miss?

Everyone went to war over what to do with broke SC3. Nobody won. Now the community's broke because they'll never take an SC game at face value again. Welcome to the clusterfuck.

Hai.

Sorry, "newcomer" here. I was part of the old GI community, quit SC (for various personal reasons), and I've just come back.

Ummm... what did I miss?

Yo I remember reading your post YEARS ago, welcome back! Lets see SC3 was pretty bad in terms of balance (well its news if you weren't you around to see the drama over that) and now things are starting to ramp up again... we got sc4 at evo this year, nationals, devastation 09' (Brought to you by the beast in the bird city in Arizona), Final Round (Which ended not to long ago but the hype lives on), and alot of other things going on. All in all the game in pretty solid just two characters that have alot of folks riled up, but this is not the place for this discussion. Still I say welcome back to the beast O.G.

Cheers for the welcome guys.

I heard about the SC3 issues. I bought the game to give it a go, but I didn't have much comp, so I couldn't take it seriously (although I ended up picking Umbrella as one of my mains).

@Tomahawk: I wasn't even sure if this was the same nick I was using back in GI, but if it was, nice to know it was free for me to return to it. :)

Does tieTYT still play? When I stopped, he was shaping up to be a top Nightmare.

(Man, I think I know what wrestlers feel like when they come out of retirement...)

@Philbond: Right, the question is... did they fix/remove broken shit in SC4? Or are there T4 Jin's in the game?

(I'm sure this conversation is going to lead to a tier list...)

There are four characters who are widely hated for very different, specific reasons. Each of them have been subjected to widespread (though not total) bans.

The most feared is Algol, for his ability to pepper the field with a spread of slow-moving bubbles that bounce off walls and greatly impede mobility.

Hilde is infamous for her "Doom Combo," which can score guaranteed ring-outs from very, very great distances. By capitalizing on the right opening and mastering her timing, she can propel an opponent across an entire ring. This is controversial, as some argue that there are substantial vulnerabilities in that strategy.

Next most feared, and perhaps most hated is Yoda, whose small stature terrifies some and inconveniences all.

At #4, I'm going to throw in the bonus character Shura, who plays like Cervantes with better range. People who hate her for that will claim that if you allow Shura, then no logical person would ever pick Cervantes, and that's a tragedy, so she's banned.

There are four characters who are widely hated for very different, specific reasons. Each of them have been subjected to widespread (though not total) bans.

The most feared is Algol, for his ability to pepper the field with a spread of slow-moving bubbles that bounce off walls and greatly impede mobility.

Hilde is infamous for her "Doom Combo," which can score guaranteed ring-outs from very, very great distances. By capitalizing on the right opening and mastering her timing, she can propel an opponent across an entire ring. This is controversial, as some argue that there are substantial vulnerabilities in that strategy.

Next most feared, and perhaps most hated is Yoda, whose small stature terrifies some and inconveniences all.

At #4, I'm going to throw in the bonus character Shura, who plays like Cervantes with better range. People who hate her for that will claim that if you allow Shura, then no logical person would ever pick Cervantes, and that's a tragedy, so she's banned.

Interesting. I had a look around, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Yoda and Shura aren't allowed in tourneys due to being bonus characters, but Algol and Hilde are, and without any "gentleman's agreement"-type nerfs?

You're right. Despite being more feared: Algol and Hilde are more commonly allowed because it's harder to argue that they don't "belong."

"Bonus" is an in-game term for the move clone characters Shura, Kamikirimusi, Angol Fear, Ashlotte and Sheherezade, contained in the star at the top-right of the select screen, though that doesn't stop some people from calling Yoda a bonus.

The term for Yoda would be guest, but you'll notice that the other two guest characters are generally allowed, which exposes why he really gets banned. Some said it was because the tournament standard was PS3, and people shouldn't be forced to pay more for Yoda, or that we were discriminating against people without an Internet connection, but those points have faded in favor of the size thing.

Yoda and Shura, as well as the rest of the bonus characters, meet with little resistance when people try to ban them, because they don't "belong."

I'm surprised nobody is fighting me on any of this. This used to be contentious stuff. Of course, we are all tired of debating it, and nobody is banned at Evo, which is out of our control, so I guess the bansters gave up and resigned themselves to calling me a fag in the thread tags.

I'm surprised nobody is fighting me on any of this. This used to be contentious stuff. Of course, we are all tired of debating it, and nobody is banned at Evo, which is out of our control, so I guess the bansters gave up and resigned themselves to calling me a fag in the thread tags.

Oh God, please don't tell me this place is like SRK... full of cowardly asses that have nothing better to do than act like street urchins.

Oh God, please don't tell me this place is like SRK... full of cowardly asses that have nothing better to do than act like street urchins.

No... it's not like that at all. Philbond is very outspoken and pretentious, so he attracts the flames.

Back