Daishi no longer works at Project Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
GI was fundamental tool!What next???Maybe they will remove AC or RO and then we can play Tekkencalibur!

It just seems to me like a rip off from 3rd strike parry system. And I like guard impact and just guard is a mechanic that is not needed if guard impact is implemented properly imo.
Meter could also easily be said to be a rip off of SF and everyone else who has meter but no one has complained about it (yet). GI works fine with JG imo. Do you think GI is implemented properly? And even if JG is not necessary you can use it to your advantage. You can destroy good moves of your worst MU's character. For example, Mitsurugi is mine. If I can react to his 4B, I will just guard it and I will 44A BE punish him for it. Like wise, if Mitsurugi reacts to 44A BE and doesn't have any meter (or doesn't want to spend it), he can JG the orb hits to remain semi-safe (I say semi because we're talking about Viola).

Two question though, do you JG? Can you JG?

GI was fundamental tool!
You say that as if it didn't even exist anymore. I'd argue GI is better than it's ever been. It repels all mixups and, because it costs meter, must be used carefully. This also means that people don't expect you to use it often, so you get more complex mindgames (instead of just 50-50's) because of the surprise element + meter management + what could he do if I re-GI? + strategies from previous games.
How exactly ?
If you only use fast-ish pokes, you become very predictable and prone to being JG'ed.[/quote]

Not a fan of JG, any guard break move is rendered useless with lightning saying pls JG me. It might be a bit better if JG was an attack that just does a little poke damage that puts you +5 ahead, instead of getting +35 frames to do whatever you want.

So if I spam Pyrrha's 66B BE and you JG it you will be like "Nah," instead of praying I use 66B BE so you can do an easy JG and finally get a chance to use my body as a surfboard.

Huh I just described a parry.

Not a fan of JG, any guard break move is rendered useless with lightning saying pls JG me. It might be a bit better if JG was an attack that just does a little poke damage that puts you +5 ahead, instead of getting +35 frames to do whatever you want.

So if I spam Pyrrha's 66B BE and you JG it you will be like "Nah," instead of praying I use 66B BE so you can do an easy JG and finally get a chance to use my body as a surfboard.

Leixia destroys Pyrrha's 66B[BE] with FC 3B meterless & WS B Series evades it no Just Guard required. The point is that JG is a great defensive tool, but it doesn't eliminate other defensive options like Blocking, Sidestepping, Duck Punishing Certain Strings, GI (cost meter) or Character Specific aGIs (meterless).

Last edited:
As far as I see it, this is a good thing. Maybe he was good for the gameplay side, I don't know because I never played SC5 and never will, but he royally screwed over the story side of it. The only good thing I might be able to say from a personal perspective is that he might have kept Soul Calibur alive with his online petitions, but that quickly got undone by him forcing an unnecessary timeskip nobody asked for, tossing out a huge chunk of the roster (much of which was female) including core characters Sophitia and Taki, and forcing in anime cliche "replacements" of the characters he removed. Most people that supported his petition wanted Soul Calibur to remain Soul Calibur in more than just gameplay. They didn't ask for him to remove characters they like or for him to disrespect major franchise characters so he could follow his personal desires.

Gameplay-wise, he might have done good things for the franchise. Story and consumer base wise, he tore the franchise apart. SC5 was a base breaker game. People like me won't buy games that continue in the vein of SC5, which by the numbers amounts to half of the sales of SC4. People that supported SC5 or hate characters like Sophitia won't support a game that seeks to undo the damage done by SC5. Unless SC6 or a game meant to be like SC6 reverses the course set by SC5 and gets majority acceptance, the Soul Calibur franchise is basically dead as anything other than ports, remakes, F2P microtransaction games like Lost Swords, or mobile card games.

That said, my impression of Daishi as a result of SC5 is the same impression I have of Motomu Toriyama at Squeenix: don't give him an existing IP. Assign him to making a brand new IP. He clearly has ideas that he personally wants to see put out there, but they don't mesh with existing IPs, and like Toriyama, he didn't seem to have the restraint to understand where they do and don't belong. With a brand new IP, he can do whatever he wants without being judged for it by comparisons of how the IP should be treated. His capabilities as a director would also be considered more genuinely based on their actual merits, not artificially supported by blind fanboys and fangirls of the IP's name.
The time-skip element, removing previous characters from previous games, and new characters themselves are not the problem; the story is just rushedly and poorly written. Like you, I too am disappointed with SC5.

The time-skip element, removing previous characters from previous games, and new characters themselves are not the problem; the story is just rushedly and poorly written. Like you, I too am disappointed with SC5.

Nah, two out of three of those things actually are the problem.

1) People get attached to specific characters. Not just their movesets, which is what a lot of people here seem to think is all that matters. That's largely because people around here are mainly concerned with gameplay.
2) The timeskip was entirely unnecessary, and a lazy gimmick to provide the superficial appearance of storyline change while justifying overbearing roster changes.
3) New characters in and of themselves are not a bad thing. It's throwing away perfectly good and much loved existing characters to have a justification for adding in those new characters that's a bad thing.

Advancing the storyline didn't require jumping two decades into the future, it didn't require removing a huge chunk of the existing roster, and it didn't require doing so as a means to force in new characters. The only thing that would have changed if the story wasn't was rushed or poorly written is more of a superficial appearance of quality.

I have never seen a case where an explicitly touted time skip did anything good for a video game. Every time someone goes out of their way to express that, it's used as an attempt to make people believe their wild, random fantasies being injected into the work is somehow acceptable. FFX-2 and 3rd Birthday are excellent examples. "We know in the last game Aya Brea was this tough no-nonsense cop that wears normal functional clothing and gets things done, but ten years passed and she has amnesia to boot, so an Aya that's a terrified wuss running around in tear-away fetish outfits while her allies sexually harass her is totally okay!"

And why you can JG unblockable moves.Can we change the name to "justblockable" moves?
Sigh. It seems as if nothing I were to say would sway your mind on Just Guard. Why do you hate Just Guards? Rip off? Stupid mechanic? Unnecessary? Surprise me.

I suppose you don't Just Guard either, right?

Ninjaguy446 said:
I suppose you don't Just Guard either, right?

Actually I use it properly.I can JG all brave edges,most of the strings,trying to JG everytime when I whiff or miss GI and so on.But I just don't like this mechanic.When I JG opponent's attack and punish it he can't do nothing.This is unfair and stupid.It's one side fun.As oldschool player I prefer oldschool mechanics.

Street Fighter III and Tekken 3 would like a talk with you.

Never played either nor did I care about them enough to do much research about them, so I can't comment other than to say I recall reading some people that had played SF3 or at least a version of it saying that unnecessary roster changes severely hurt it and led to SF4 bringing back a lot of characters.

Meter could also easily be said to be a rip off of SF and everyone else who has meter but no one has complained about it (yet). GI works fine with JG imo. Do you think GI is implemented properly? And even if JG is not necessary you can use it to your advantage. You can destroy good moves of your worst MU's character. For example, Mitsurugi is mine. If I can react to his 4B, I will just guard it and I will 44A BE punish him for it. Like wise, if Mitsurugi reacts to 44A BE and doesn't have any meter (or doesn't want to spend it), he can JG the orb hits to remain semi-safe (I say semi because we're talking about Viola).

Two question though, do you JG? Can you JG?
There are people who dont like the meter mechanic. Mostly because of CE afaik. And to do a just guard is not the problem. I actually do not do it because it does not really help Asta. Old GI-system was a viable tool for everyone except when bugs like 2G or VC were used.

Actually I use it properly.I can JG all brave edges,most of the strings,trying to JG everytime when I whiff or miss GI and so on.But I just don't like this mechanic.When I JG opponent's attack and punish it he can't do nothing.This is unfair and stupid.It's one side fun.As oldschool player I prefer oldschool mechanics.
Yes, but both parties can JG. It's not as if one side is handicapped and not allowed to Just Guard.

So because you're an oldschool player you will not accept any change or whenever they try to introduce a new mechanic in the game?
There are people who dont like the meter mechanic. Mostly because of CE afaik. And to do a just guard is not the problem. I actually do not do it because it does not really help Asta. Old GI-system was a viable tool for everyone except when bugs like 2G or VC were used.
I'll give you that because I do like the old GI system but think about it, with the old GI system, some characters wouldn't work. Take Viola and Zwei for example. If GI didn't cost meter, Viola is instantly crippled due to everyone GI'ing her 6B+K mixups. Zwei would be better off because he can delay and vary Ein's timing but the same logic stands.

No.For example I like brave edges and critical edges.They're flashy and cool.GB is good too ;)
You implied otherwise.

Well, everyone has their own opinion on the matter. Obviously neither of us will change our mind but I still think Just Guard was a fine addition. No way to know whether it'll still be in since Hoshino is apparently super casual.

Never played either nor did I care about them enough to do much research about them, so I can't comment other than to say I recall reading some people that had played SF3 or at least a version of it saying that unnecessary roster changes severely hurt it and led to SF4 bringing back a lot of characters.
wat

Street Fighter III: Third Strike is the best fighting game ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back