Dampierre Q&A / General Discussion

Anyone know how to deal with a good Astaroth, Ive been running into them lately on Ranked, and in some Player rooms. I have a lot of trouble fighting against them and I was hoping if anyone got some tips?

Damp is designed to be trash though. I prefer Sieg in 4 myself, I find him much more enjoyable in that game and more reliable as well compared to the cast of that game.

He is designed to be the joke character.
Joke characters are in every instance that I can think of, designed to be random and trash.
Hence my conclusion of he was designed to be trash.

He is designed to be the joke character.
Joke characters are in every instance that I can think of, designed to be random and trash.
Hence my conclusion of he was designed to be trash.

But that's still wrong. He has a quirky design and a random element but that is not because he is an awful joke of a character.

But that's still wrong. He has a quirky design and a random element but that is not because he is an awful joke of a character.
Eh I disagree but whatever. I personally think he is a stupid character they should not have put in and put that time into a better character like Zasalamel for example.

But I am not the one making the game so it's not like I can make those decisions anyway.

Why do you disagree?
Anyone at Namco with half a brain who played Dampierre in builds must have realised he is shit, seriously. But then, they made Zwei and nerfed Raph so I don't think they are too good at their character movelist design/balancing. Also, when you give a character moves which can randomly fail into easily interruptable stances you can't be thinking too seriously.
Yeah, Damp has some really good stuff going for him.
Like? All I see from Dampierre is 11B into half life whiff punishment. I haven't seen any other half decent thing from the whole character.

Anyone at Namco with half a brain who played Dampierre in builds must have realised he is shit, seriously. But then, they made Zwei and nerfed Raph so I don't think they are too good at their character movelist design/balancing. Also, when you give a character moves which can randomly fail into easily interruptable stances you can't be thinking too seriously.

But this is still wrong again. Damp has excellent normals (AA,BB, 2A, 2K) outstanding movement and throw range. Absurd meterless damage, good pokes, serviceable lows and some of the best (if deliberately inconsistent) whiff punishment in the game in the form of 11B and 623B. 623B would honestly be broken if he didn't trip from time to time given the excellent frames, TC, and rewards on hit. Dampierre has certain weaknesses yes, but his strengths make him extremely formidable in the right hands (which i guess we have not really seen to extensively yet unfortunately). Dampierre is meant to be a glass cannon of sorts and he fulfills that role greatly.

Anyone other than Asta, Sieg and Nightmare have a good AA, BB, 2A and 2K (well, JS Tira's 2A not withstanding). I don't know much about his movement other than that moonwalk but his throw range seems normal/average, what pokes other than the ones you just said? I can't think of any low of Dampierre's I can't react to other than 2K. 11B and 623B are the only things I see going for him that stand out. Everything else most other characters can already do and usually do it better and more consistently.

2B is a good poke along with all of his normals. You don't need more than one unreactable low to get a mix up (See Astaroth, Siegfried, NM, etc.). Dampierre has all the tools to be a good character. He doesn't need to be the best in order to not be "trash" (although he has one of the best CEs in the game).

Probably his aGI and lows that are used in combos.

EDIT: There is also 1B which can be hard to react to if you aren't looking for it

Anyone other than Asta, Sieg and Nightmare have a good AA, BB, 2A and 2K (well, JS Tira's 2A not withstanding). I don't know much about his movement other than that moonwalk but his throw range seems normal/average, what pokes other than the ones you just said? I can't think of any low of Dampierre's I can't react to other than 2K. 11B and 623B are the only things I see going for him that stand out. Everything else most other characters can already do and usually do it better and more consistently.

I'm going to assume the first sentence doesn't apply to the standard low kick. You have people like Pyrrha and Natsu with outstanding AA's, then besides the ones you mentioned you have people like Raph and Xiba with cruddy AA's and people like Mits and Ezio with usable AA's but not outstanding in the least. As for BB's lol no. Pat, Zwei, Voldo, Xiba, Raph, and to an extent, Viola all have some sort of issue that separates them from BB's such as Algol, Damp, Greeks, and Ezio. These moves have SOME homogenization but all carry different purposes and do certain things better than others. 2A is homogenized more to some extent but people like Pat, Zwei, Natsu, Xiba, and Leixia cannot even begin to compete with someone like Cervantes and Gloomy Tira with this move. And his throw range is very average...compared to someone like Siegfried. Damp 1A has a usable aGI attached to it, his 1B has STC and can sneak up on people. And i honestly think 11K, 11KK shenanigans work but i'm gonna get lynched for that.

You can honestly win entire games with 11B and 623B as long as your B!E! is consistent. His pokes have great frames and his CE has great utility when used correctly.

Back