Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

Is the 3ds version worth it? Or should i just wait for 5? I dont have a xbox360 so Ive never played it before. But it looks fun. (sry if i repeated an already asked question)
the 3DS version is legit but will have a different feel to it because you'd be playing on a hand held but that's a given. it's good to learn the basics though. the different combos (cause i'm sure some will transfer over) and how to counter.

Since you mention that DOA characters are iconic (hence the word iconic) then there's really no need to have custom characters though having custom costumes won't be such a bad idea.

That's really the part I wish Soul Calibur to be, promoting their original SC cast in such an iconic fashion but sadly they open pandorax's box milking the audience to care more for CAS who just mimic the movesets of the real SC cast than caring for the real cast.

Re-quoting to start. Would it be okay if they took the Tekken approach and allowed the DOA iconic characters to be only customized?

the 3DS version is legit but will have a different feel to it because you'd be playing on a hand held but that's a given. it's good to learn the basics though. the different combos (cause i'm sure some will transfer over) and how to counter.
cool ok, I might get it.

Pocky-Yoshi- I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the Tekken approach. I'm not really a fan of Tekken but I did try Tekken 6 and I just gave up on that game.

As for customizing iconic DOA characters you mean as in just costumes? or is there actually more to it?

Tekken has customization but the clothes are completely tailored to that individual person, meaning only Lili can wear Lili's clothes.

Thank you Seth, now going back to Pocky-Yoshi's question at hand I say from my POV it's not okay they don't follow the Tekken approach and allow costume clothing.

I realize that every original cast have their own personality and form of expression especially in a fighting game where their way of fighting reflects that. Even their style of clothing has a reflection on their personality and I think it's best to leave it to the creator's discretion, because I've felt they understand the intended personality they want their original cast to be at.

Same with SC but back then I actually wish custom costumes for the original cast; so now I'm scrapping that wish off.

It's been a long time since I played DOA2U- is the online better for DOA4 than 2U?

Online- 5bars is max in SCIV but DOA4 only has a 3 bar system.

Thank you Seth, now going back to Pocky-Yoshi's question at hand I say from my POV it's not okay they don't follow the Tekken approach and allow costume clothing.

I realize that every original cast have their own personality and form of expression especially in a fighting game where their way of fighting reflects that. Even their style of clothing has a reflection on their personality and I think it's best to leave it to the creator's discretion, because I've felt they understand the intended personality they want their original cast to be at.

Same with SC but back then I actually wish custom costumes for the original cast; so now I'm scrapping that wish off.

In my defense and pardon my vague post earlier, I meant how Tekken 6 has a customization: that it's only clothes that suit the character. Like Xiaoyu had the cutesy fashion or Law had a bunch of Kung-fu Bruce Lee costumes to choose from for instance.

There's also still the Street Fighter IV approach. Like Color edits of the original cast or you could change into alt to change color or so. Just some food for thought.

Anyways to the next point that urges me another question: What made you want to scrap that wish of not having custom stuff now? Was it because you prefer to appreciate just playing the iconic costumes that's provided?

It's been a long time since I played DOA2U- is the online better for DOA4 than 2U?

Online- 5bars is max in SCIV but DOA4 only has a 3 bar system.
I think it was the same. However I have hardly played for 2 years because there were hardly any available games online.

Looks like now there are some US/EU playas on DOA4 sometimes (prob because DOA5 is comin).

Seems like DOA4 would be better than 2U cause the online should be 'new and improved'.
In any case DOA5 is comin and hopefully the online will be even better.

Hope so.

Any EU based players want to try some games on DOA4? I would like to learn the technical side of the game, like standard punishment, strategies, and lower-level common mistakes. Cos I really like the game and played DOAU to death but never learnt the techy stuff.

Anyways to the next point that urges me another question: What made you want to scrap that wish of not having custom stuff now? Was it because you prefer to appreciate just playing the iconic costumes that's provided?
Well I do prefer to play the original cast but it's the original characaters themselves that mainly build those particular types of games. There are games that mainly base off from custom characters and that is the part where these types of games I think should focus more on customization.

So what I'm saying is it's better to go totally in-depth on customization than a fraction of it by making a game soley based on it. Games like Forza Motor Sport, Monster Hunter, Skyrim, Dark Souls, etc. are based on that. Otherwise, customzation cannot reach it's full potential because it has to share with the originals as did with Soul Calibur.

Also with regards to your two quotes:
In my defense and pardon my vague post earlier, I meant how Tekken 6 has a customization: that it's only clothes that suit the character. Like Xiaoyu had the cutesy fashion or Law had a bunch of Kung-fu Bruce Lee costumes to choose from for instance.
I think that's a waste as I've posted before, if they want put in customization, make a game solely base on that. I think it's better if costumes were in a full presets instead of parts. I remember DOA 3 and Soul Calibur 2 had full costume presets for 1P, 2P, 3P, 4P for certain characters.
Also
There's also still the Street Fighter IV approach. Like Color edits of the original cast or you could change into alt to change color or so. Just some food for thought.
I have SSF4, and what I got to say is that Colour Edit is not the same as Colour Preset; SSF4 has Colour Presets which unlike Colour Edit you cannot change parts of the costume by yourself you have to select Colour Presets that changes the entire colour of that costume. Even with different costume presets w/ colour presets I don't think it's mainly base on customization but for the sake of easily not getting confused in a mirror match battle.

Well I do prefer to play the original cast but it's the original characaters themselves that mainly build those particular types of games. There are games that mainly base off from custom characters and that is the part where these types of games I think should focus more on customization.

So what I'm saying is it's better to go totally in-depth on customization than a fraction of it by making a game soley based on it. Games like Forza Motor Sport, Monster Hunter, Skyrim, Dark Souls, etc. are based on that. Otherwise, customzation cannot reach it's full potential because it has to share with the originals as did with Soul Calibur.

I kinda get it if I'm comprehending right. Something called a custom in SCIII-SCV for instance wasn't particularly a "custom" because it basically borrowed from say Mitsu's style and was stylized into a different skin(like some made up tall, buff, and cool looking guy or some short, petite, and cute lady).

In other words, expand on making it a "true original" like in being able to make new style out of the mechanics and not making copies if we were to be custom happy?

But regarding the SSFIV and all that costume preset ish, I pretty much get it now (though I should of caught on earlier). It's kinda simple and less hassle. When it comes to just playing hardcore, fashion is just....well fashion and the only fashion that matters is how you make that life bar deplete in a fighting game.

However while I understand your point of view, I still like the fashion mix-ups since after SCII-SCIII, they focused more on dress-ups and the competitive side more so than the minigames like survival, team battle and all that. Sure the fluff of single player modes and all aren't all relevant, but it's what got me wrapped into a say "casual hardcore" fan. Like I could spend all day doing weapon master and all those special stages or so.

If they had those and no fashion, I'd pout on no fashion but actually make do without it and enjoy the game differently by indulging myself in those modes. But since times have changed, I have to embrace dress-ups and hardcore play......

Pardon the ramble.

I kinda get it if I'm comprehending right. Something called a custom in SCIII-SCV for instance wasn't particularly a "custom" because it basically borrowed from say Mitsu's style and was stylized into a different skin(like some made up tall, buff, and cool looking guy or some short, petite, and cute lady).
No, I would still call it a custom like what it is in SC3 to SC5 but because they are sharing with the originals the customization is limited. To me it's clear that Namco is trying to pull off. The way DOA and SSF4 pulled it off to me I don't consider that customization (even if it actually is called that) though it may seem that both games aren't really focused on customization as with SC3 to SC5.

In other words, expand on making it a "true original" like in being able to make new style out of the mechanics and not making copies if we were to be custom happy?
Well instead of saying "true original" I would say "in-depth custom" as long as there is enough customization aspects that makes ppl and meself feel like a custom experience then I guess me and those ppl would be happy.

as for the rest I've been also played CAS and a lot of dress-up but it comes to a point where I realize that I'm just wasting my time with them.

Here's what I'm thinking, why bother wasting time making a CAS that mimics the original cast when I already got one? And what point is it to dress up any character when all they do is show off all that fluff? Also do you use all the outfits you've purchased through DLC to dress your characters?

You already got the idea of character customization but in-regards to outfit customization what more can I use them for? Will wearing heavy-armoured clothing wither my speed but at the same time buff up my defense? Will having wings on my back prevent me from getting RO'd? Never in the Soul Calibur series... Also from my experience through purchasing customes online I've only selected a few for my characters.

Having costumes that at least do something is great but even better make them more useful in situationsthat you can use to your advantage. Imagine if I ever go to a dinner party if I ever were to enter one I need to dress up in a professional manner. I want to sneak into a palace and go past guards easily and there's a lot of dark spots; well dark clothing can better my chances of sneaking past.

However, I think stuff like that requires a separate game. Introducing a costumization to an original game is like a small crack that gets bigger as more demands for customization begins to go overboard.

I think Customization should be in every Next Gen game! And it is particularly awesome in Fighting games! I love fighting games, always have always will. And I dream of making my own, customization and Creation lets me tap into that fantasy.

I don't want to start a debate, because Team NINJA has said there will be non in DOA 5. All I am saying is it would have made DOA5 a million times more awesome "for me". I play DOA4 to this date, but there is nothing new for me to get out of the DOA4 experience. Customization and Creation are one way to extend the life of a fighting game long beyond it's years, because you could always come up with a new cool design. And than that actually motivates you to play again, to go online and show off lol...

Also Psychology has a lot to do with the charters people choose. I know some of the most amazing SC players who only want to play with IVY cause they want to be a fierce bitch lol.The fact is the way a character looks effect us on some level, so why not give us control to make "our" ultimate looking DOA character!

And while Kasumi is FLAWLESS, The idea of of having to play her in the same outfits over and over that everyone else has, it just sucks (I'm thinking years, i'm that committed to DOA ;). I want to design her from head to toe. And maybe even make a baddass male ninja with her fighting style, I just think it's COOL.

But it's not happening and that's OK, really it's fine, I mean Ive only been waiting for this game for 7 years to come out all the while praying they add customization, but hey no big deal, it's OK! I'm good! it's fine....

Back