DLC Theory: Stone *is* Rock

RyujiSakamoto

Premium Member
Since Nyte deleted the previous thread which was a goldmine of hilarity, I've decided to create a new one with the obvious counter measure.

ROCK = STONE

I've decided to look over the popularity poll and reduce it down to these. I've organized them into 4 groups.

As of now, I don't think ZWEI has a shot because that would involve weird time travel crap. But if Viola's boobies and fanbase are enough to have her rip her way through the space time continuum into SC6, I'd say ZWEI has a shot. But until then...

14. Yun-seong - 295 Season 2 likely candidates
20. Setsuka - 214

21. Viola - 201 The wild card

23. Hwang - 193
30. Lizardman/Aeon - 76/52 Season 3 leftovers?
31. Rock - 71

32. Li Long - 65
33. Algol - 59 No fans :(
34. Dampierre - 54

As you can see, Rock fared well enough. Out of 45 characters, there were 3 categories. first 15 were the top tier of popularity, second 15 were mid tier, final 15 were bottom tier. Well Rock is exactly the top of the bottom tier, at 31. The most popular of the unpopular characters lol.

The only thing that props up Rock as a potential character is the STONE codename and the timeline. Project Soul knows the waifu girls must be selling and so they've pumped up Hilde to waifu status. This is why I think Viola has a shot, because they are aiming to sell.

1573488037808.png

That silver slot could be perfect for Rock. Or maybe it's for Yun-seong or Lizardman as they are known to be seeking Soul Edge or corrupted by it.

We will know in about a year.... or this month depending on how fast we get a new datamine on season 2! fingers crossed that it's Rock and not a Dark Skinned Lesbian Barbarian!

I want Project Soul to not stress and continue to do their best on this season pass. Still, they do seem to be releasing information a little quicker for this season. I am fine with this too lol. I hope these information releases continue quickly : )!

Rock being the grey slot is a big wish of mine : ). I really hope the swords in the background have no meaning. It would be a cool way to end the season with a revamped, but familiar, character.

I really and truly believe the swords in the background mean nothing. Haohmaru is not even a little bit inclined evil. It’s just background noise. The colors will be reflected on their appearance in some way. So grey can very easily be Rock. Or it may not. Either way? Stone is definitely Rock.

I imagine they’d rework Rock to be more focused towards a grappling moveset, with most of his damage revolving around throws, and being able to have a large amount of attack throws in his kit.

His gimmick would also be manliness points. For every throw he gains a manliness point that he can use to the extend his throws and his Soul Charge makes him 100% manly.

you see this is what bothers me about Rock. The greasy look and the ugly scar in the middle of his forehead. If they tweak his model he can be handsome and I can tolerate him.

Though honestly I think it's cause SC4 Rock was a lazy rushjob, hence the lame outfit and 2P outfit.

1573538840206.png

imo this is rocks best outfit in the series so far. SC4 outfit feels like a lame ripoff of his SC1 outfit.

1573538899541.png

1573538913589.png

1573538939270.png

you see this is what bothers me about Rock. The greasy look and the ugly scar in the middle of his forehead. If they tweak his model he can be handsome and I can tolerate him.

Though honestly I think it's cause SC4 Rock was a lazy rushjob, hence the lame outfit and 2P outfit.

View attachment 67959

imo this is rocks best outfit in the series so far. SC4 outfit feels like a lame ripoff of his SC1 outfit.

View attachment 67960

View attachment 67961
View attachment 67962

Oh, I didn’t realize how rough they made Rock look in Soul Calibur IV. I also hope they make him more handsome if he does return. Most of his artwork makes him seem handsome, so I am surprised looking at the SCIV model.

Also, slightly off topic, but I support a remake of Raphael’s face model as well. Handsome it up lol. He doesn’t have to look like a model (not everyone does). Just, slightly more attractive.

I really and truly believe the swords in the background mean nothing. Haohmaru is not even a little bit inclined evil. It’s just background noise. The colors will be reflected on their appearance in some way. So grey can very easily be Rock. Or it may not. Either way? Stone is definitely Rock.

I want to believe this sooo much +_+. But, I am being cautious here lol. Also, it doesn’t help that the swords stay on the season pass picture after the character is revealed. It would be slightly odd seeing Rock with a Soul Edge behind him.

That isn't an issue at all. Time travel isn't needed, many things were retconned in this game. Talim didn't time travel, did she? DID SHE?!
Talim’s story isn’t a retcon, though. It’s just her origins before SoulCalibur II. Cassandra and Zasalamel are the only ones with a significant difference in their stories. And even so, a closed loop time travel model might have it such that these things always happened, we just weren’t aware of them. “History hides away more than one truth”, after all.

We don’t really know Z.W.E.I.’s true origin or age, considering his state in SoulCalibur V as a seemingly immortal werewolf with spirit being. He could have been alive during 1583-1590, but he could also not be. We don’t know when he was born. And then there is always the possibility that Grøh and Z.W.E.I. are one in the same.

I would love to see Rock coming back. I always liked his character for how simple, pure and powerful he is
Tho I doubt he will get here on fourth spot.
Codenames and colours mean absolutely nothing so we can just speculate and my hunch points towards Yun or Hwang (preferably Hwang)

Fuck this shit, I deleted a shitshow and Dissidia acts like his normal shithead self. Should've figured.

Btw, what will you say if it turns out the last DLC spot isn't Rock? It's highly unlikely, but I thought I'd see what bullshit answer you come up with.

Fuck this shit, I deleted a shitshow and Dissidia acts like his normal shithead self. Should've figured.

Btw, what will you say if it turns out the last DLC spot isn't Rock? It's highly unlikely, but I thought I'd see what bullshit answer you come up with.
If the last spot will be Yun or Hwang it will be as I thought it will be. The only change would be that Hilde is first not last

@Heniek as Sherlock Holmes (sorta), it's my personal suspicion that they announced Hilde first because she was unexpected and rather controversial with her boobie plate armor. That was perfect for getting people talking and paying attention to Season 2 more intensely. Now Project Soul can string us out waiting to drop fan favorites AFTER Haohmaru like Setsuka (3rd) and Hwang/Yun (4th, dead last), so we'll all be waiting with bated breath for a while. 🙄
I would have thought Hilde would come last too honestly.

This is a fun light hearted topic. No need to be ass blasted!

If Rock makes it, I'll have lots of fun in this topic. We will have a celebration for sure! But if he's not (most likely) then I lose nothing.

You brought this upon yourself with your rudeness Nyte!

@Heniek as Sherlock Holmes (sorta), it's my personal suspicion that they announced Hilde first because she was unexpected and rather controversial with her boobie plate armor. That was perfect for getting people talking and paying attention to Season 2 more intensely. Now Project Soul can string us out waiting to drop fan favorites AFTER Haohmaru like Setsuka (3rd) and Hwang/Yun (4th, dead last), so we'll all be waiting with bated breath for a while. 🙄
I would have thought Hilde would come last too honestly.
Well thankfully my hype for the game died out quite some time ago so I can patiently wait for the rest of reveals without any issues.
Hilde being last was my guess as well

I'm virtually certain that the original 'STONE' codename was meant to reference Rock, or at least put that notion in our heads: as someone around here predicted repeatedly around the time of the original datamine "leaks" (who was that? I just remember he was a very rational and insightful bloke..), it is probable that these names were always meant to be clever (if still somewhat obvious) viral marketing.

The question at this moment in time, with all of the revelations since (particularly the fact that despite six codenames, we will continue to get four-character season passes, and the confirmation that Hilde and Haohmaru take half the spots in Season 2) is who takes priority? Now obviously every little feature that we've used to try to resolve this question has come into question at some point, particularly the colour scheme. But parsing all of the evidence together, my feeling is that Rock probably gets edged out this season: I think Setsuka and Hwang are likely to take the remaining two spots.

That said, I think a third season is not just probable, but highly likely, considering 1) how much Namco surely wants to establish a continuing support / presumed multiple season pass sales model for its fighters, and 2) the hype wave the game is currently riding, and I expect that Rock will be introduced earlier in that season. But I just don't think he has the demand / uniqueness working for him to seize those two hotly contested spots in Season Two. Although that grey spot does leave open at least an outside possibility.

For what it's worth, I don't think the colours mean as much as we mostly assumed a month back, but I don't think they mean nothing either: obviously the colours don't have to map to a colour traditionally strongly associated with a character, as Hilde's new gold armour demonstrates. But at the same time, there are certain characters who would be an ill-fit for certain framing colours regardless. So, for example, I wouldn't expect Setsuka to take the grey spot, as all of her outfits to date have been quite vibrant. Likewise, I wouldn't expect the pink spot to go to Lizardman. So we do still have some constraints/hints from the tinting of those frames.

On a side note, for the umpteen-illionth time, that poll means absolutely nothing...it represents less than one-thousandth of return players / potential consumers and thus has virtually no empirical weight and Namco would never base their content decisions off of it. It was cheap viral marketing in between titles, nothing more.

View attachment 67959

View attachment 67960

View attachment 67961
View attachment 67962
Honestly, I see virtually no difference between those designs. They are all just cliche mountain-of-meat, pop-fantasy barbarian designs, with the obligatory furs, animal head, bracers, and loincloth. I mean, literally the only substantive difference between all four is that he doesn't have open-toed sandals in one! I agree that the in-game facial model for IV does have a certain "if you put wide-frame glasses on him, this guy is wanted in four states on sexual assault charges" vibe about it. But the concept designs themselves are virtually indistinguishable in the generalities.

Last edited:
My secret wish is that big daddy Rock will be the 4th DLC character for Season 2, and will be revamped into a husbando to compare to the waifus that we've been getting in these season passes. TAKE ME, DADDY!!!

Back