For anyone who's played Sc6 demos...

I'd like to ask a simple question. Those qui tried the game and their favorite SC is 2 how do you feel about SC6 so far?

We're not ever going to get the old SC2 Avoid mechanic back. That thing just made it way to easy to avoid horizontals and verticals. As is, SC5 and SC6 are great in terms of speed and just perfecting and iterating on that is enough to keep the game engine in good competitive state. The rest just comes from good character design (from a gameplay standpoint), and a healthy roster.

It's like pre-patch SCV and everyone moves like SCV Yoshimitsu or faster. So, faster than SCII, notably in the speed of forward and back dashing which were very slow for some characters in SCII. Movement was very fast for some characters in SCV, it was just unsafe.

Movement speed is closer together between characters in the game. So far nobody moves very slow at all, even Zas and Siegfried.

It's like pre-patch SCV and everyone moves like SCV Yoshimitsu or faster. So, faster than SCII, notably in the speed of forward and back dashing which were very slow for some characters in SCII. Movement was very fast for some characters in SCV, it was just unsafe.

Movement speed is closer together between characters in the game. So far nobody moves very slow at all, even Zas and Siegfried.
I found scv to be very stiff and 8way movement restricted. Quick step taking supremacy

I found scv to be very stiff and 8way movement restricted. Quick step taking supremacy

Quick step was fine for side movement, yes, and forward and back move was fast as long as you did it right. Most new players tended to hold down forward or back to move in those directions, which is the slowest way. Double tap and hold put you at full speed run or backwalk as fast as you could do the double tap, and single tap and release made most characters do snappy movement, forward or back. You also needed to cancel backsteps into sidesteps or backwalks or you'd be stuck for 20 frames after backstepping.

Basically, there was 8WR movement and there was stepping. if you held directions in order to move, you would go through a startup animation, a speeding up animation, then you would go into 8WR. That speeding up animation is what caused the stiffness. Double tapping in any direction skipped this animation.

Stepping, done by tapping the Dpad / flicking the stick, had completely different animations and let you move around in short bursts which could either transition smoothly into full-speed 8WR or into another burst of movement in another direction.

I have to assume people complaining about stiffness of movement in SCV didn't understand these things (as new players) or were just lazy with their movement. Or, they played a character with slow movement.

In SC6, as of the E3 demo, the same principles apply, your movement is less stiff if you either single tap or double tap and hold. All movement is faster than in SCV, though.

Last edited:
My only complaint in SCVI is that you can't forward dash out of a backdash, which you could do in SCV. This makes it much more difficult to weave out or range and back into range.

Edit: idk if they fixed this but I tried it again at Aris's place, I could move back and forth just fine. And I could do 6632B, etc.

Last edited:
Quick step was fine for side movement, yes, and forward and back move was fast as long as you did it right. Most new players tended to hold down forward or back to move in those directions, which is the slowest way. Double tap and hold put you at full speed run or backwalk as fast as you could do the double tap, and single tap and release made most characters do snappy movement, forward or back. You also needed to cancel backsteps into sidesteps or backwalks or you'd be stuck for 20 frames after backstepping.

Basically, there was 8WR movement and there was stepping. if you held directions in order to move, you would go through a startup animation, a speeding up animation, then you would go into 8WR. That speeding up animation is what caused the stiffness. Double tapping in any direction skipped this animation.

Stepping, done by tapping the Dpad / flicking the stick, had completely different animations and let you move around in short bursts which could either transition smoothly into full-speed 8WR or into another burst of movement in another direction.

I have to assume people complaining about stiffness of movement in SCV didn't understand these things (as new players) or were just lazy with their movement. Or, they played a character with slow movement.

In SC6, as of the E3 demo, the same principles apply, your movement is less stiff if you either single tap or double tap and hold. All movement is faster than in SCV, though.
Its not a matter of misunderstanding but a matter of comparison.

The snappiness and stiffness is relative.
The whole idea that there is a tighter quick step, backdash and forward dash is what lends to the feeling of it being "stiff"
I don't think new players would complain about this at all since they have nothing to compare it to nor have any idea on the different "feelings" or mechanics to previous game.

So I would say your assumption is wrong, but that's my opinion, both our opinions are subjective of course and I'm sure there are other things people take issue with or like that some people haven't experienced.

@Darklust
"The whole idea that there is a tighter quick step, backdash and forward dash is what lends to the feeling of it being "stiff" "

Then I have no idea what you're complaining about. How can tighter movement lend to stiffness? Max speed, acceleration, deceleration, what's the problem?

After watch alot of video from the beginning of SC6 introduction until now, I feel the game is too fast, there are so many ways to damage opponent with unblockable and plus frame, the Reverse Edge doesn't help player enough to defend. Soul Charge give so many plus frame and unblockable moves make the defender hopeless, I hope when the final version Namco reduce the combo damage a bit to make the match longer and more tenses.

Back