Votes: 1 2.9%
  • w00t? (mediocre)

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • meh. (hate em)

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters

Jaytech

[09] Warrior
it's a trend in hollywood right now to make those movies inspired by big games. most of them are done by uwe boll (german director), who really does a bad job, but is surprisingly successful with his adaptations. so far we have seen final fantasy, alone in the dark, resident evil, hitman, dungeon siege, blood rayne, postal and some more. farcry is coming soon and other projects like god of war won't wait long.

what do you think of them? are they any good? what are your favorites?

I liked Hitman and the last RE, i hope they make a Resistance movie though it would be freaking cool as long as Uwe doesn't direct it.

Video games are too young of a medium to pull off a good movie. Look how long it took comic books before respectable movie adaptations were made. almost 50 years i'd say with Superman 1 in the late 70s.

Right now all video game movies are good for is B movies with a huge camp factor. Just watch Mortal Kombat again and youll know what i mean.

Anybody ever see House of the Dead? Hilariously terrible. The Sea Captain had infinite ammo in that handgun, I swear.

Yeah i saw house of the dead, horribly made. It felt like i was watching those cheesey SciFi movies.

divinechaos97 said:
Yeah i saw house of the dead, horribly made. It felt like i was watching those cheesey SciFi movies.

am i the only one here that appreciates camp?

oh crap, Divine, camp, same post...John Waters movies are coming to mind. AAARRGGG....

Fear the Walters! Some of the deaths in those movies are stupid and should burn in hell though.

There is no category for laughably bad.

There is a sense or charm to watching a movie as bad as Super Mario Brothers, Mortal Kombat Annihilation, and Street Fighter the Movie. It is the sort of punishment similar to watching Sci Fi original movies.

divinechaos97 said:
Fear the Walters! Some of the deaths in those movies are stupid and should burn in hell though.

no no no no..WATERS. He is a director from Baltimore, His most notable movies are "pink Flamingos" and "Hairspray." Both movies are extremely campy and star a fat transvestite that goes by Divine. The movie Pink Flamingos ends with the character Divine eating a piece of dog crap off the street in Baltimore, and that isn't even the worst scene in the movie.

Anybody ever see House of the Dead? Hilariously terrible. The Sea Captain had infinite ammo in that handgun, I swear.

Omg that movie was a classic....if you think of it as the greatest parody of all time...
But in all honesty its not like that game had amazing script anyways. But I still don't see why the director of these tragedies don't simply make an adaptation that follows the actual game story line. With that boll w/e guy could have made 4 or 5, if you count the upcoming title, Resident Evil movies that would have probably been a hell of a lot better. I mean come now could you imagine seeing Leon being all bad ass on the screen like he was in RE4.

But don't get me wrong there are those video game movies that are decent every now and then like the Silent Hill movie. While it didn't follow the game 100% it very much kept the feel and the mood of the game making a much experience. There was also the first Tomb Raider movie, which was slightly cheesy but still retained the whole attitude of the franchise.

Omg that movie was a classic....if you think of it as the greatest parody of all time...
But in all honesty its not like that game had amazing script anyways. But I still don't see why the director of these tragedies don't simply make an adaptation that follows the actual game story line. With that boll w/e guy could have made 4 or 5, if you count the upcoming title, Resident Evil movies that would have probably been a hell of a lot better. I mean come now could you imagine seeing Leon being all bad ass on the screen like he was in RE4.

i was thinking about that, too. the problem is that the main audience for those movies would be ppl who have played the games. they know the story already inside out and it would be pointless to just copy the storyline for the movie. nobody would want to see it anymore because it's known already. makes sense, no??

I will admit that some videogame movies do maintain some status as being decent movies, no videogame movie is a masterpiece, and many videogame movies are hilariously bad.

I personally didn't think the first Mortal Kombat was actually a bad movie at all. Unlike MK Annihilation, it actually had really martial fighting scenes and some some more credible actors.

I think the genre could be decent if more directors took a different approach.

Yeah, don't knock the first MK movie. That was an integral part of my childhood.

Don't forget Street Fighter: The Chun Li Story is being filmed right now with Kristin Kreuk of Smallville. Plus the trailer for the Mark Wahlberg movie looks awesome. Dammit, I can't remember the name of it.

I find that these types of movies aren't really Oscar material, but at the same time they provide some good entertainment; even if we are sitting there snickering at how stupid it is, we still are sitting there watching it.

Best Video Game Movie = Doom

Why? Because if you forget that its based on a video game, its actually a decent Sci-Fi action film. I can't think of ANY video game movies that are decent once you take out the nostalgia of the video game. Sure it wasn't faithful to the story at all, but who cares? Also, Karl Urban cant act.

The game -> movie adaptation is about as bad as the game -> anime/manga adaptation. 90% of the adaptations do a terrible job conveying the story of the game. Not to mention they always change or add events for some illogical reason. I can understand why that would be done in movies as some game stories are impossible to convey in only 2 hours. However, when it comes to anime and manga, there is no excuse for changing the material needlessly.

Back