Gameplay vs. Story: Which is more important?

Gameplay or Story?

• Total voters

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
I lean more towards gameplay, because how much can a story help a video game if I'm not having fun playing it?

Overwatch is almost an example of this. Despite lacking a plot driven campaign, Overwatch wins its players over with its online multiplayer gameplay which is crazy fun.

Those who want to experience the lore will have to look outside of the game and view the animated shorts, comics, and other stuff.

Gameplay is definitely way more important, but that doesn't mean neglecting a good story mode/single player content.
Why can't we just have both like in SCII or SCIII AE?
I understand that SCV didn't have much going on aside from good gameplay & CaS due to it being rushed, but it looks like that wont be the case in the next game. Or so i hope, since they're taking their sweet time getting Tekken 7 out of the way.
markjulio.png

Gameplay is definitely way more important, but that doesn't mean neglecting a good story mode/single player content.
I am TOTALLY on board with this. Gameplay is most important, but don't completely ignore story mode and single player content, unlike CERTAIN users from the previous thread.

Like Maculyn said, gameplay is not a feature. Its a basic requirement for the format to work. Gameplay is what makes it playable. Story is what makes the game enjoyable. Story is what familiarizes the player to the specific characters of a series. Also, I also don't buy that only RPGs should have good stories in development priority, because no game is just expected to have bad gameplay as an exception.

yea but character design is enough to pick your favourite and maybe a little written backstory. I´d prefer having 3-4 more characters than initially planned instead of a story mode.

Like Maculyn said, gameplay is not a feature. Its a basic requirement for the format to work. Gameplay is what makes it playable. Story is what makes the game enjoyable. Story is what familiarizes the player to the specific characters of a series. Also, I also don't buy that only RPGs should have good stories in development priority, because no game is just expected to have bad gameplay as an exception.

that's disagreeable, Street fighter, Killer Instict, Mortal Kombat etc all had minimal story and were all very enjoyable...even Doom never had any story at the start, all of those games...bar Killer Instinct maybe went on to become very successful from casual point of view and competitive players point of view.
this is partially why those of us in the competitive scene care little for it...knowing Siegfrieds struggles with Soul Edge, or Aeon's past won't help us win tourneys, gameplay may be a basic requirement, but balanced gameplay is what we strive for...and such a thing is so delicate so achieve, SC3 had too many bugs, SC4 was too slow to play...this is why we place gameplay above all else.

you want to enjoy a story with no gameplay, read a book/comic/visual novel or go watch a movie, simple as...

I´m talking about a character backstory written down in extras mode or whatever. Not an animated story mode giving reasons why everyone fights against each other.

that's disagreeable, Street fighter, Killer Instict, Mortal Kombat etc all had minimal story and were all very enjoyable...even Doom never had any story at the start, all of those games...bar Killer Instinct maybe went on to become very successful from casual point of view and competitive players point of view.
this is partially why those of us in the competitive scene care little for it...knowing Siegfrieds struggles with Soul Edge, or Aeon's past won't help us win tourneys, gameplay may be a basic requirement, but balanced gameplay is what we strive for...and such a thing is so delicate so achieve, SC3 had too many bugs, SC4 was too slow to play...this is why we place gameplay above all else.

you want to enjoy a story with no gameplay, read a book/comic/visual novel or go watch a movie, simple as...
The story itself is never the direct cause of it, nor is it even affected by the quality of gameplay good or bad. Development time and support is what imbalances priorities when teams are rushed at the last second like PS usually is when they get overambitious. But they are usually always able to do both with given time to.

I don't think it's fair to call someone stupid for wanting what they want. However, *I* do not care what anyone wants, a fighting game is 100% gameplay first. Like I said earlier, it doesn't mean that a fighting game must be devoid of story since story elements are what generally "set up" the fights in the first place, but if anything is taken away from the gameplay to add to single player content then the developers have failed us.

That is why SCV has a lot of respect from me. They did what they could with what they had and delivered pretty solid gameplay. I'm sure with all the bitching though they'll fail us with SC6 and put half the cast in unplayable tier so we can have another hut burning simulator or something.

Why are some people acting like gameplay and single player are two different things? You may be fighting cpu opponents but it's still gameplay and yeah playing with human players is more fun but single player can give you things multiplayer couldn't. Like Chronicles of the Sword for example. There's really no way to add something like that to the multiplayer mode.

Back