Hate Speech War Report: Final Round XV

Final Round XV took place on March 3rd and 4th in Atlanta, Georgia, and clocked in at a truly impressive 254 entrants. The tournament itself had numerous ups and downs, a few surprises, and an overall level of play that was truly impressive for a game so early in its life-cycle.

FRXV also inadvertently shined some light on a handful of larger issues affecting both our specific community and fighting games more generally, all of which deserve a good amount of thought and discussion. That being the case, let’s get down to it. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the FRXV War Report . . .

The State of Play

Final Round XV showcased an oppressively rich field of player-talent. We saw a number of familiar faces from past SOULCALIBUR tournaments along with plenty of the newer generation, and everyone was hungry. One of the great benefits of attending these events is getting a sense of how other regions approach gameplay: What do they do well? What do they lack? Where are their priorities? All in all, it’s quite an education. After playing handfuls of casuals here and there with as many people as possible (and, of course, watching the tournament unfold), here’s an off-the-cuff assessment (note that I’m just trying to hand out well-deserved props here, so nobody better get all salty):

East Coast (NYC and New Jersey, in particular):

The EC guys have proven strong thus far in SCV, which makes sense given their scene’s overall level of activity, and while they weren’t at the absolute top of the heap in Atlanta, they nevertheless had several representatives competing on day two. Their style of play struck me as the most balanced; their best representatives showcased solid fundamentals, a moderate, flexible balance of aggression and defense, and an eagerness to exploit SCV’s meter mechanics. All in all, they’re a formidable group, despite being nothing more than a conglomeration of fizzbitches and frauds (shout outs to Ramon <3!).

1260269252.png
Ramon celebrating. Yeah, it's an inside joke, but doing an image search for "fizzbitch" is like a direct portal to all the stupid on the Internet.
ATL:

Overall, the Atlanta guys seem to favor a game based primarily around patience, solid defense, and good fundamentals, which comes in two primary flavors: the RTD and the Wing_Zero. When RTD is in RTD mode (you can tell this is happening because his cowboy hat starts glowing yellow and everyone around him dies), he’s incredibly difficult to pin down. He always seems to be floating just outside of a range at which you can comfortably check him, inducing you to make errors and then moving in for the kill. Wing_Zero and those who favor a style more like his, by contrast, seem perfectly content to block, punish, and pick their moments that way. Both styles proved incredibly effective, as we saw.

Chicago:

Due to the thus-far absence of streams and major tournaments in the area, Chicago was like something out of Conrad’s Heart of Darkness for me—mysterious, unknowable, and vaguely dangerous. What we saw at FRXV was proof that whatever secret evil they’re working up there is paying real dividends. Specifically, the Chicago guys demonstrated not only good fundamentals, but a truly impressive facility with new mechanics like Just Guard, and their best players are investing time in characters which would be powerful in anyone’s hands, let alone theirs. It wouldn’t have taken a breakout performance from Hawkeye to prove to the world that they’re a scene to watch, but that sure didn’t hurt, either.

1260265982.png
Yeah, this came up in the same search. You know what? I'm gonna roll with it.
Texas/Oklahoma:

There’s a lot of upside here, which is no surprise. Byakko from Dallas made an appearance on day two, and he damn near unseated KDZ in his pool. The Dallas players generally have an eclectic style that’s the product of oldschool SC veterans and some new up-and-comers crossing over from other games, and when those groups have taught one another what they can, the rest of the US will need to take notice. Additionally, we had Animefreak putting Tulsa back on the map, which was personally gratifying for me. He’s rough around the edges, but he’s definitely on the verge of doing more real damage in tournament situations. Even now his Xiba is giving everyone he faces a real run for their money.

Norcal/Socal:

Mysteries. I was the only California representative of which I was aware, and I had an underwhelming performance, only taking 4th in my pool. I scouted you fools, though, so watch out!

Omega:

This man deserves his own section. As it stands, when it comes to SCV in North America, it’s Omega’s world, and we’re all just living in it. His game is incredibly strong, and the overall SCV system favors his aggressive style. Omega’s brilliance as a player stems from his ability to make a read and commit to it without hesitation. Sure, he’ll occasionally get hit or lose around, but he doesn’t let that shake him. This fearlessness combined with his stellar reactions and excellent use of GI make him, for now, the man to beat.

NUTJOB.jpg
Take a wild guess.
The Tournament Itself

While the gameplay was exhilarating, the overall tournament was something of a mixed bag, and it raises issues we need to consider. Before getting into any of that, however, I’d be remiss in failing to note that ShinBlanka already commented on the hiccups we faced, and not every problem can or should be laid at the feet of the FRXV staff, all of whom were busting ass for the entire weekend. In addition to the hard-working staff of volunteers, FRXV provided us all with a solid venue room, plenty of setups for our tournament, and a location without any issues relating to spotty, awful Internet access (which is a problem entirely more frequently than it should be). Still, the FRXV experience was inconsistent at best, which could probably be most easily described by comparing my day one experience with KDZ’s as he related it to me.

SOULCALIBUR V players were told to arrive at the venue starting at 10am Saturday. We were then instructed to locate ourselves on handwritten paper brackets to get a sense of when we would play, and to prepare accordingly, which all of us did, including KDZ and myself. It was at that point where our stories radically diverged. KDZ found himself in one of the earliest brackets. He arrived at 10, his matches moved along at a good clip, and his pool was over within two hours, leaving him free to go about his day. All in all, it was a model of efficiency.

rule-34.jpg
Yup.
My name, by contrast, didn’t appear until the third page of the bracket, meaning I had some time to kill. Unfortunately, no one could tell me how much time that was, effectively leaving me shackled to the venue room until things got started. Once they began, however, I rattled off three quick matches, including an epic nail-biter against Omega that was one of the real tournament highlights for me. Subsequent to that match, I inquired about my next one and was informed that we needed to populate the loser’s bracket a little bit before continuing. I was told, “You probably have time to go to the restroom if you like, but don’t go too far—you’ll be playing any minute.” I got this same spiel, or a variant thereof, for approximately the next four hours, all without playing a match. Finally, when my tournament started up again, I was required to play four matches (or was it five?) back to back to back to back, all without a break. By the time I was finished, it was basically dinnertime. I’m not the only person with this experience or something like it, either. WinterBrawl champion Linkrkc was also in my pool, and I believe he too experienced major delays.

So why did it take so long? Simply put, it’s a matter of expectations and priorities, not to mention FRXV buckling a bit under the weight of its own success in every game. First of all, we dropped a logistical H-bomb on that tournament. I’m positive nobody expected us to field 250+ entrants, and the organizers simply weren’t prepared to handle that plus everyone else. The otherwise spacious venue was packed full of people all day, each buzzing around trying to get through match after match in various games. Even so, some of this should have been avoidable. Major 2D tournaments had their pools assigned and publicly posted by midnight the night before the tournament, meaning players knew precisely when to be at the venue. No 3D games were extended this courtesy. In fact, it appears as though the initial plan was to run SCV on a single, giant 250-man bracket, foregoing pools altogether. This plan was ultimately abandoned, as we all saw, but even the attempt seems wasteful. Secondly, running the tournament on paper brackets led to numerous problems. Some players ended up placed very close to their good friends and training partners while others were left off of the brackets entirely, at least for a time, both of which led to players being shuffled around from pool to pool after the tournament was well underway. Computerized brackets and a little extra planning up front make a world of difference. Lastly, on the matter of delays, I know that my pool was inordinately held up so that players could finish large numbers of matches in other games. While a few minutes here or there is perfectly acceptable, grinding an entire pool to a halt for hours simply isn’t. To my mind, entering multiple games means the responsibility falls on individuals who make that choice to be willing to go instantly from one game-mindset to another on short notice, otherwise we’re all a little bit screwed.

That final issue (and the lack of pools/postings) points toward something more than just logistical oversight. Indeed, it gets to the heart of a major issue we’re facing in all tournaments, namely that 3D games simply don’t get the same sort of consideration as their 2D counterparts. This makes sense, given the overwhelming support for such games, but it’s still frustrating, even if it’s understandable.

lando.jpg
Okay, sometimes this search query got a little bit awesome.
The upshot of this, if such a thing can be said to exist, is that these issues go a long way toward undermining the argument that MLG picking up SCV will ultimately prove divisive. To my mind, the MLG announcement is amazing news. Yes, MLG Columbus is on the same weekend as NCR, which is a major reason I won’t be in attendance, but the beauty of it is that we’re being presented with options other than cramming into the far corners of established 2D-centric tournaments. If much of the logistical trouble we face comes from growing pains, how can it be anything but good to have more options, more events, and more people dedicated toward putting on a good SCV show?

In the end, despite the many bumps and bruises on the ride, FRXV was a positive experience that makes me quite hopeful for our scene. We came out in force and everyone played their asses off, so let’s keep the momentum going. Keep practicing hard, keep attending events, and keep putting our scene on the map.

Homework:

Gear up to attend a major. In fact, you should all start making your EVO plans right now—being in Vegas around July 4 requires extra early planning.

Oh, and if you attended FR, sound off about your experience, etcetera.

@Hates
While the article is good(as always) there doesn't seem to be any mention about swordlord. With all the uproar about how "unprofessional" the commentary was, I expected you to make a short mention/reflection here, with perhaps lesson learned... but surprised to see absolutely no mention at all as if it never happened. This was a bit off putting to me.

No lesson learned speech here. I have ethical obligations to uphold. To answer your question, though, I already addressed that at extreme length in the FRXV results thread a week ago, here.

Not sure what you mean by the 'Evo circuit'. This was just one tournament. So there are specific details to consider. Did the same people organize all the tournaments at the event and put in less effort toward SC, or was it assigned to a different group and they failed? Stuff like that.

And I disagree that Marvel and AE2012 or whatever shouldn't get preferential treatment. It's not like they just get it randomly, those games consistently put in the numbers for both entrants and number of viewers.

What I'd like to know is what happened to the livestream. There was a schedule posted for SC5 to be on the second (FunkyP) stream and not only was it not on at the right time but it was on a different stream as well. Not that I'm complaining that Spooky streamed it instead. And I'm not even gonna complain all that much about it. I'd just like to know what happened.

I agree. I'm not asking for the same screentime or anything. But to put the Capcom games in computerized brackets while putting the rest in, of all things, PAPER brackets? That, for example, screams a whole 'screw your game' mentality from the TO, and by mention, the Evo circuit in general.

You're also correct that I may be blowing this out of proportion and using a slippery slope. This was one tournament, and I'm pretty confident that NCR will not run SC5 as poorly (as the one running SC5 is part of Norcalibur). However, the FGC at large is, for the lack of a better term, kissing Capcom's ass far too much. It's gotten to the point that people only care about Capcom's stuff because these games almost automatically get the screentime and preferential treatment.

WB exceeded expectations in terms of attendance, while FR blew it right out of the water. Upgrading us to an Excel sheet on a computer is the least they could do.

No lesson learned speech here. I have ethical obligations to uphold. To answer your question, though, I already addressed that at extreme length in the FRXV results thread a week ago, here.
Sorry brother, had no idea you wrote that up. Thanks for the clarification.

it was my obligation as an ATL resident to come to this event :) had a great time, made it loser's finals of my pool only to lose to Byakku... who i had also lost to on the winner's side. guess i need to work on that Natsu match-up.

I'm normally pretty forgiving of issues on the organizer side, and I admit being sick the entire weekend may have colored my view of the event, but this was likely my last Final Round.

My experience ... I ended up having my pool assignment shuffled more than once. Each time, I was given the impression that my pool was the next to be run, so obviously I'm not going to wander off. I only know I was moved around because I would sneak looks at the bracket or ask someone else who just saw it. The staff did allow us to see eventually, but near the beginning they basically said, "If we didn't call you for a match, go away." How are we supposed to know what pool we're in if we can't see? Especially considering one of the main rules posted was to be at your assigned pool or risk disqualification.

When my pool started, I played most of my matches in a reasonable time period. However, once I lost to Omega in winners finals, I had to wait for the losers bracket to finish. This wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that the entire bracket was held up by one guy for multiple hours. I'm not sure there was ever any intention of DQ'ing him, but interestingly enough, as soon as the missing player showed up, his opponent (Hates, who had gotten tired of waiting and stepped out) suddenly was on a "two minutes to DQ" clock.

Final Round did have a good amount of stations (12, in four tables of three), but about half of them weren't even used by the time it got to my pool. Yet they threatened to kick us out for trying to stay warmed up by playing casuals during our long wait. So, I had to just stand there looking at six unused stations for four hours. I could understand if they were still trying to run the tournament, but as far as I could tell no other pools were going on.

The "highlight" for me was getting shoved by what I presume was a staff member (unless they let just anyone transport the tournament monitors, in which case disregard this paragraph). There wasn't much room to walk, so what people did was make single file lines and follow each other, like first graders going to the cafeteria. I was in one of these lines, walking forward when I could, when I felt a nudge. I thought, okay, it's cramped, no big deal. Then I felt a hand on my back and was forcefully pushed; I actually stumbled forward a step, almost hitting the guy in front of me. I turn and glare at the guy the guy behind me and say, "Really?!" He quickly shuffles past me, avoiding eye contact. I know the staff has a lot of volunteers, but be more selective in the future. Actions like that reflect poorly on the entire event.

Really, the only good things to come from that weekend were that I was able to put faces to some of the new screen names I've seen around and that I got to see a lot of the old ones again. Atlanta always has strong competition and knows how to bring the hype, and I hope to see you guys more often. It just won't be at Final Round.

Yes imo that was the worst run FR ever. There's nothing I can really say to make up for the horrible job I did as an organizer on saturday. It wasn't that we didn't care or put effort behind scv/3d games. We got 250+ in SCV and we got bum rushed. we also had 170+ in KOF13 and 400+ in umvc3 and ae running on the same day. Besides Evo no other tournament in america has EVER had that size of a problem. Not to make an excuse because I will say saturday was a cluster f%$#, but we did put more set ups' on the capcom side just to help move them along faster.

It helped a little bit but the problem was we didn't have enough equipment/staff to handle the amount of people that attended FRXV. That was the main problem imo. The lack of equipment/staff lead to all of the stress/bs. Or maybe I should say the lack of set ups that was freaking updated!!!!!!!!!! Spending time uploading the correct patch slowed crap down also. These are things that are normally not a problem at fr, but was a problem this year for various reasons.

Evo still uses paper brackets. Paper brackets had nothing to do with it the delays imo. The application of the paper bracket method at FRXV was flawed because we should have broken it down into smaller pools instead of a huge 254 man bracket! That was the flaw in using paper brackets imo. That would have been a problem using the computer also. We wanted to use the 256 bracket to give that effect of the 1st almost full 256 man bracket for SCV like we did at FRXII for SF4! It backfired as it was more of a hassle to run that huge bracket and I think people didn't enjoy nor like that huge paper bracket.

Of course SCV will only get bigger in attendance across the community but with this being the 1st time SCV has filled out that size of a bracket I thought it would be cool to have the 256 bracket. Obviously that was a wrong choice because at FRXII only tekken got close to those numbers at 191 man tournament, so it was easier to handle only 2 big tournaments on the same day (Sf4 vanilla had 256 and T5dr had 191) unlike this year when we had 2 tournaments over 400 players, 1 at 250+, and another at 170+ running on the same day.

The only problem with paper brackets are when you have them made and then atleast 80-100 people show up at the door and ruin the brackets you made! But that a problem with any event that has at the door registration because when you have a set amount of people pre reg online and then 400 more come to the door it throws all of your brackets/pools out the window in every game!

That would ruin your computer brackets also as you would have to balance out the brackets, but it would be easier to form the bracket again on the computer. That is one of the main reasons i'm really thinking about getting rid of at the door registration.

Things are going to change moving forward at FR. FR is not just a 2d based tournament and i'm offended from that remark. FR is a community event that support a gambit of genres of fighting games. From sf to tekken to meltyblood to MK9 to SCV to KOF13 we support the community as a whole! We have supported 3d games for over a decade and tekken has always been a staple of FR.

We had SoulCalibur back in the day when ShadowG use to run the brackets, but when people started to not play soul calibur 4 as much we didn't have it in the line up for a couple of years. Any game that is held at FR that is on the official tournament game list is important to me! Not just capcom fighters, but all games.

I thank you guys for your fair and honest report on your time at FRXV. Everything wasn't roses and there are A LOT OF THINGS THAT NEED TO BE CORRECTED for next years event! I can't do that without your honest post about the event so I can make the proper corrections moving forward. I hope our piss poor effort doesn't scare anyone away from future FR events.

Until next time,

Larry.

I'm normally pretty forgiving of issues on the organizer side, and I admit being sick the entire weekend may have colored my view of the event, but this was likely my last Final Round.

My experience ... I ended up having my pool assignment shuffled more than once. Each time, I was given the impression that my pool was the next to be run, so obviously I'm not going to wander off. I only know I was moved around because I would sneak looks at the bracket or ask someone else who just saw it. The staff did allow us to see eventually, but near the beginning they basically said, "If we didn't call you for a match, go away." How are we supposed to know what pool we're in if we can't see? Especially considering one of the main rules posted was to be at your assigned pool or risk disqualification.

When my pool started, I played most of my matches in a reasonable time period. However, once I lost to Omega in winners finals, I had to wait for the losers bracket to finish. This wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that the entire bracket was held up by one guy for multiple hours. I'm not sure there was ever any intention of DQ'ing him, but interestingly enough, as soon as the missing player showed up, his opponent (Hates, who had gotten tired of waiting and stepped out) suddenly was on a "two minutes to DQ" clock.

Final Round did have a good amount of stations (12, in four tables of three), but about half of them weren't even used by the time it got to my pool. Yet they threatened to kick us out for trying to stay warmed up by playing casuals during our long wait. So, I had to just stand there looking at six unused stations for four hours. I could understand if they were still trying to run the tournament, but as far as I could tell no other pools were going on.

The "highlight" for me was getting shoved by what I presume was a staff member (unless they let just anyone transport the tournament monitors, in which case disregard this paragraph). There wasn't much room to walk, so what people did was make single file lines and follow each other, like first graders going to the cafeteria. I was in one of these lines, walking forward when I could, when I felt a nudge. I thought, okay, it's cramped, no big deal. Then I felt a hand on my back and was forcefully pushed; I actually stumbled forward a step, almost hitting the guy in front of me. I turn and glare at the guy the guy behind me and say, "Really?!" He quickly shuffles past me, avoiding eye contact. I know the staff has a lot of volunteers, but be more selective in the future. Actions like that reflect poorly on the entire event.

Really, the only good things to come from that weekend were that I was able to put faces to some of the new screen names I've seen around and that I got to see a lot of the old ones again. Atlanta always has strong competition and knows how to bring the hype, and I hope to see you guys more often. It just won't be at Final Round.
This is a serious problem about people getting floated around. That should never happen period! I wasn't aware of any of that type of stuff happend until jaxel told me about it on sunday or was it late saturday after the event closed. Either way these are things I need to be addressed to during the tournament so I can nip it in the bud. If there's ever a problem like that at my event don't hesitate to stop me and ask me what the deal is with the brackets.

I will go over and handle what needs to be handled to make sure the brackets are good, period! That not going to happen again! I was riping and running all weekend long try to put out fires in all directions, but I missed this fire along with a couple more in other games during FRXV. I understand if you don't ever come back to FR again with that type of crap I can't blame you.

Ive been to Final Round the past 2 years in a row. This was my third and last Final Round until someone tells me after next year that it's been improved for the better.

Being told to be at the venue at 10AM and not knowing when(or IF) we are in the brackets AND being unable to find out our status in the bracket because the tournament runner told everyone to get the fuck away EVERY TIME was extremely frustrating.

Like you said Hates - the 2D players had their pool assignments done and posted online the night before which alleviated much of the stress in running their tournament.

Not doing the same for all major games played reeks of un-professionalism and laziness. Registration was closed on Friday afternoon. The organizers had all the information they needed to complete this task on Friday and have it ready to go on Saturday. Whether they were going to do pools or a 250+ bracket - it doesn't matter. They waited day of the tournament and it's a huge part of the reason there were so many problems for our tournament.

There is no excuse for that.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Not going back until the following year after I hear that they improved.

To be honest, the 2D players had it worse than we did. A lot of the SF4 pools only had ONE tv per pool, UMvC3 pools didn't start until hella late at night, and MK9 pools were just ran real slow. There were so many open stations in MK9, but they weren't used for tournament, just for casuals or just no one playing.

The hotel itself was pretty bad too. I've never heard of a hotel that had no vending machines. If it was late when everything in the hotel and room service was closed, and you were really thirsty, you were pretty much out of luck. Also the hotel was about 40 mins away from the airport. When I had to actually go back to the airport and depart, seeing as my flight was early and the train station was closed, my only option was to pay about $65 just to get back to the airport... Very inconvenient and a waste of money.

As bad as the event was though, it was still fun hanging with everyone and playing with the ATL people because I enjoy their style of play the most. I still manged to get 17th place in SC5 losing to Loloroco in the Losers Finals of my pool in a close match, and getting sent to losers by Thuggish.

i had alot to say, and alotta rage to post , mainly because i had to play my best friend first match and we were from the same area, and that just made me furious and i couldnt even play right the whole tournament. but larry's post said everything i wanted to say. shout outs to larry being a trooper and dealing with all this stuff even though his real world problems were much bigger. even if this was the worst FR i ever attended it was still a blast, and nothing will keep me from coming to the next one, or the next one after that, or the one after that. FR is more than a tournament for me and it always will be.

i had alot to say, and alotta rage to post , mainly because i had to play my best friend first match and we were from the same area, and that just made me furious and i couldnt even play right the whole tournament. but larry's post said everything i wanted to say. shout outs to larry being a trooper and dealing with all this stuff even though his real world problems were much bigger. even if this was the worst FR i ever attended it was still a blast, and nothing will keep me from coming to the next one, or the next one after that, or the one after that. FR is more than a tournament for me and it always will be.
I'm sorry about that man. Simple shit like that should never happen. :( we didn't properly place people due to region or state. That's not a good thing, period! Like I said if people don't show up for next years event i'll understand.

I had my own share of problems, but pretty much everybody else mentioned or addressed them in their own posts, so I won't touch it. I will say that I still had a blast, despite all of the problems, and I MOST DEFINITELY COMMEND shinblanka for running a relatively successful DESPITE real life problems as big and sudden as his slapping him in the face at the worst possible time. Honestly, i wouldnt have blamed u if u had cancelled the whole tournament the day before, but I'm glad u kept things movement, as the community as a whole benifitted.

I will offer these suggestion.

1. BIGGER VENUE. This is easily the largest tournament IN THE WORLD behind EVO, and it will likely be that way for years to come. Plus it runs more games. I hope next years venue will be as big as the one at CEO

2.,NO AT THE DOOR REGISTRATION, PERIOD. UFGT does it. EVO does it. Both of these tournaments are considered the best ran tournaments in the US. NO door reg is a big part of it. I think final round has gotten too big for on-site reg.

Well, ill be back next year

lol @ hates, it's been 10 years since i've been able to invoke rtd mode but i continue to strive ;)

also, a mention of the Lord's rise to deliverance and your sheer amazement/disgust as he made people repent would've been a great addition. but great write up as always. it's giving people a place to reflect which is most important.

as for the tournament, i'm overall happy with the way that it was ran. in the top 16, i was in winners and i got knocked out by 2 Atl players. that really sucked.

but that aside, there was no one there better than Omega. If the tournament was ran perfectly, he would've still have won.

If you are the best, no matter how bad the tournament is ran, you'll overcome that.

No matter how you dice and slice it, Omega was the best. It's that simple.

He was even the best player in the previous caliburs -> he took SC3 nationals with Mitsu and he only lost to Hilde's at Evo/Nats with Zasalamel.

Now he is beating everyone with Nightmare. It doesn't matter which character he uses, he still finds a way to win.

Wish him luck as a pro player because the money is out there now.

EDIT: i heard that there were like 10 seeds in pool 8 while the other brackets had like 1 seed. in an attempt to correct that, the floating happened. at least that's what i heard.

it's giving people a place to reflect which is most important.
You know me. I'm a man of the people/I do it all for the kids, etcetera. ;)

As for floating, the talent still wasn't ultimately spread out that effectively. The biggest issue was the fact that it continued throughout the course of the tournament, I'd wager, and that some players had input into where and whether they'd float.

Good write-up, and good to see ShinBlanka weighing in too. From the perspective of someone who was only a spectator, I think Final Round was great fun to watch and did a good job of helping the FGC recover from the Cross Assault debacle. There were lots of memorable moments from the SC5 tourney as well as Marvel, SF4, KOF, etc.

I hope the people who've pledged never to return to FR after this year will reconsider. Going by his response to the complaints, ShinBlanka takes the feedback very seriously and really wants to make sure everyone gets a fair shake. Final Round was (and is) one of the biggest tournaments of the year, and despite the logistical problems was a boon for the SC5 scene.

I agree with link... def a cluster fuck, most of the staff was rude as hell not even considering how far some of these people came to play from...

Meeting everyone was awesome though ;) I wish I would have got to play more in a room some where but I was either busy with the MK guys from Canada or in some random room for SC...

DK called me sexy though so Im good ;) haha till next time!

I had my own share of problems, but pretty much everybody else mentioned or addressed them in their own posts, so I won't touch it. I will say that I still had a blast, despite all of the problems, and I MOST DEFINITELY COMMEND shinblanka for running a relatively successful DESPITE real life problems as big and sudden as his slapping him in the face at the worst possible time. Honestly, i wouldnt have blamed u if u had cancelled the whole tournament the day before, but I'm glad u kept things movement, as the community as a whole benifitted.

I will offer these suggestion.

1. BIGGER VENUE. This is easily the largest tournament IN THE WORLD behind EVO, and it will likely be that way for years to come. Plus it runs more games. I hope next years venue will be as big as the one at CEO

2.,NO AT THE DOOR REGISTRATION, PERIOD. UFGT does it. EVO does it. Both of these tournaments are considered the best ran tournaments in the US. NO door reg is a big part of it. I think final round has gotten too big for on-site reg.

Well, ill be back next year
UFGT has at the door reg, but they cap their tournaments so they know what the max amount of players they will prepare for. Both no door reg and cap the tournament sounds good to me at this time but i'm leaning towards no door reg. That way we can control the tournament better and have brackets / pools made before 1 person walks in the doors on openning day. The only thing about that is we had 189 sign up only and then the rest sign up at the door. We don't reach those numbers if we don't have registration at the door. SF4 has 312 online but it so close we didn't think over 130 would sign up at the door also. We had 320 in sf4 last year so that was a HUGE JUMP in attendance this year. Just things like that I have to weigh the pros and cons of getting rid of the at the door reg. We need to get a bigger venue 1st and formost. It would have been better if everyone wasn't on each others back during the whole tournament. I'm in the process of looking for a new venue.

I loved the tournament, the only downfall for me was tekken 6 tourney, but its all good, good luck to the guys going to MLG and the upcoming tourneys, unfortunatly the appointment for the residenci came out, so im doing a bunch of stuff and i may have to go back to DR which im not happy about it but will see, kick some asses bitches, see you at EVO.

Loved to see RTD on Destroyer mode, and guys remember we have to be more flexible cause if you dont know how difficult it is to run a tournament, try to run one with multiple games and if you dont make any mistakes let me know. Even at Evo there have been a lot of shit going on, next year i will be in atlanta again, if everything goes well, chequerao.

Loved the write-up. I especially loved the analysis of playstyle by region. Looks pretty accurate.

I'm a bit disappointed that Canada didn't have much of a presence at this one, most likely because they were still recovering from their long trip to Winter Brawl. Canada in full force is definitely worthy of their own section.

I really don't feel like beating a dead horse, especially with ShinBlanka already admitting how bad the tournament was. I just want to emphasize some things, even if they were mentioned already.

First off, I got there at 10 and didn't find out which pool I was in until 3:00 or so, when things began to cool down around the command center, which is frustrating, but worse things have happened. What I really didn't appreciate was this tug-o-war that happened once both my SC and KoF pool started at the same time and I kept having multiple matches being called simultaneously.

The "two minutes to DQ" thing was ridiculous, because there were four games going on at any one time, and two minutes usually isn't enough time to finish a match!

To emphasize this point further, I had my name called multiple times during a single KoF match. This was right after finishing an SC match. Not a big deal, I ask someone to go tell them I'm playing. I hear my name get called again at the beginning of the match, and sometime during the second match I hear the "two minutes to DQ" warning. This is very distracting and it makes it harder to play when you have to constantly try and find a messenger during a match. Also, each of these calls were spaced 2-3 minutes apart so I know someone had told them I was playing and they still continued to call my name. In fact, Link confirmed that he told them I was playing when he first heard my name get called. They were just being ridiculously impatient (kof matches last awhile).

I shouldn't have had to hear that ever because I was in the tournament venue for nearly the entire day, with one small break to eat a chicken sandwich (at a time that none of my pools were playing). To top that off, with pre-registration this situation could have been avoided altogether. It's infuriating that by the time I got to the guy to play my SC match, he basically said "just sit tight for a moment" because my opponent wasn't there to play.

Outside of that I just want to point out that one speaker was too close to the SC stations and I'm done.

Live streams

28 Viewers
WhispCL
WhispCL
🎮Canjes de eSponsor🎮: SoulCaliTekken8 y YAKUZA 0 PARTE 2593 de 10000000 - !esponsor !youtube

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back