Hate Speech: We Talkin' Bout Practice?

Most of us, at some point during our competitive lives, have thought something along these lines: "I know I would have beaten that guy if I spent as much time playing the game as he does." In fact, it's because enough people have explained to me that I only won a match because, instead of practicing, they spend all of their free time having sex with supermodels, making irrational amounts of money, and curing cancer all at once that I'm writing this column and sharing some of my most closely guarded nerd secrets. Consider it a thank you to all of you sex-having, bill-stacking Nobel laureates out there for doing so much and asking so little in return.

xdVRD.jpg
My Editor was too busy banging supermodels AND sleeping to get this article up on time.

Whether you're a walking bye, a mid-level player looking to improve, or even a seasoned tournament pro, the importance of how you practice cannot be overstated. Now re-read that last sentence. How you practice is more important than how long you practice. One of the most crucial differences between elite players and the people whose faces they're stomping simply comes down to practice habits. With a little bit of planning, it's possible to squeeze a lot of benefit out of even a short practice period.

Work Smarter, Not Harder

Having had the distinct misfortune of watching many, many less than stellar players flail about in practice mode, I can say with extreme certainty that "just winging it" is, by far, the least effective means to improve one's skills. Remember, we're on a tight schedule--every second we spend in practice mode is a second that beautiful women (or men), the global economy, and millions of cancer patients all suffer without us--so it's imperative to waste as little time as possible. As such, let's start by outlining our various deficiencies, then devise a plan to hit everything as quickly and brutally as possible. Practice mode tends to be most useful for the following:

Basic knowledge/execution
Spend time learning your character. Make certain that you can execute moves and combos reliably. In most cases, this is a relatively minor hurdle. In some, such as Setsuka or Cervantes, continual practice is necessary. Recognize these needs and budget accordingly.

Information gathering
Learn the properties of your character's moves. Are they safe or unsafe? Do any have tech crouches or tech jumps? What are your best punishes? However, this category also includes gleaning information about other characters, such as learning punishment and practicing how to cope with specific moves and tactics.

Scenario re-creation
Replaying common situation that arise in match-ups and determining the most reliable counters.

Experimentation
A little freestyle, but with a purpose. Playing around with maximizing wall damage, experimenting with nonstandard counters, etc.

Of these, scenario re-creation is worth the most in-depth analysis. Soul Calibur games have outstanding practice modes; we can record, play back, and otherwise tweak variables in order to re-create almost any scenario that might arise during game-play. This is perhaps the most crucial difference between haphazard and effective practicing. Of course, it's not enough to simply re-create a mixup situation and find one way out of it. We must look for universal solutions.

LN5r1.jpg
Universal solutions like oil, which will always work and never cause us any problems. Ever.

Take, as an example, Raphael's 4(B) into prep stance on block against me, a Cervantes player. Let's say I identify that the Raph against whom I play is really abusing this particular tactic against me. I can record the moves in practice mode and play them back, experimenting with various counters. I may even find specific defensive answers to whether he follows with an A or a B, and so on. What I really want, though, is a universal answer. In this case, I call upon the information I gathered about my move properties, remembering that my 1B has a built-in sidestep. Tweaking my practice settings and experimenting some more, I quickly learn that blocking a Raph 4(B) means I can use my own 1B to stop every option available to him.

The above example showcases using the peculiarities of an otherwise less than stellar move to completely stuff an otherwise annoying mixup scenario. Connecting the dots, as it were, is purely the result of effective practice.

Zz4BD.jpg
Going into practice mode will produce this result from your casual friends. Be warned, cheater!

In point of fact, most characters have incredibly situational moves like Cervantes' 1B. It simply falls to you to discover and implement them. Remember, when re-creating a mixup scenario, try everything. You might find a universal solution. Only if you fail to do so should you practice situational tactics.

The next question, of course, is how you identify the situations to practice. This is where analytical, intelligent play pays real dividends. Even if you only have an hour or two per week to play against humans, you can capitalize on it by making mental notes of which moves and scenarios give you the most trouble, then going into the lab to find the most solid counters you can. Beyond that, simply utilize your spare time to good effect. We all have downtime every day; taking an idle moment to wonder about how a particular mixup can be defeated might be all it takes to significantly step up your game.

Ultimately, it doesn't necessarily take countless hours to have a deep understanding of one's character. More important is being analytical, having a plan, and executing that plan. Rather than wasting time learning how to defeat the computer on its hardest difficulty, effectively use your practice time to suss out the most effective counter-tactics to common situations. It is guaranteed practice will reward you handsomely.

Homework:
What are your practice routines? How do you get the most out of every minute you spend training? Also, what are some quirky, situational move properties possessed by your character? Let's build a library of universal counters.

Pretty much what you have listed.
I do additional practice to get even better. For example improving my reaction time. Basically improving defense. I set the dummy to do all kinds of random things and see if I can block all of them, or GI all them, or Jump, duck and step all of them.

I scout other players. I am an innovator, a good amount of tactics people use with a number of characters are contributions from me in the soul arenas. But I also scout out what other players are up to. What tactics they're using and how I can counter them.

I am a very analytic player, so unless you're really really good and difficult for me to read, I steal a lot of information. And I am especially good about teaching it to others.

Personally, I think Defense is the most important thing to practice. Not necessary turtling. I think the best players are aggressive yet strong defensively.

I think in SCV the most important thing is going to be movement and JG. Everything else offensively is childs play, anyone can do it.

Since I main Setsuka, a good amount of time is spent drilling those beautiful JFs, particularly 1AAA. Maining her has turned me into quite the aggressive player, too aggressive commonly, but one thing that really opened my eyes was playing the CPU when I had a period of no internet for a few weeks. Despite it's BS psychic abilities, the CPU can really put your playstyle to shame by stepping/8WRing things you'd never think were avoidable.

Essentially all of my play against humans is online (sadface), but I've found that I've learnt how to read opponents and adapt my playstyle. SCIV was the first FG I took somewhat seriously, and to begin with my play was...laughable. I wouldn't mash, but I couldn't adapt, I couldn't experiment, I was single-minded. Now though, I can pick up on my opponent's ability to punish certain moves, for example, test them once or twice in the 1st round and then immediately switch up my offence.

Can I ask a personal question????
How much time do people spend per week playing SC4?
Be honest now guys.
Perhaps we could create a parameter that measures on-line skill level (OLSL) such :
OLSL = Level /({months playing SC} x ({hours/week in SC} + {hours/week on-line}))

In my case this would equate to: OLSL = 22/(9 x (4 + 2)) = 0.41

When it comes to practice I think I can conclusively say that practice mode will help you win tournaments. Take me for example, this is the first competitive SC game I have played without being a practice mode junkie that figures out situation based bullshit. This is also the first SC game I haven't won a tournament in. I call that evidence and others just feel it's a platform to call me washed up. Take it for what you will.

Why is being in practice mode so important? Have you ever had one of those situations where a single move throws you for a loop? That is why it's important. A great example from SC4 would be Voldo vs Cassandra, because her FC 3B will autoGI/crouch almost every option he has at almost any level of disadvantage.

There are 3 main situations I feel like would have helped me really not have my offense stopped cold:

1 - Punishment on block - Practice will tell you for sure what is and is not free. So there is no guessing during a match like "Was that B,B free to recovery or did he duck?" or maybe you drop the timing and you think "maybe that is just safe to B,B or 66:B." You also get to get a feel for the punishment timing, making you more consistent.

2 - Counter Setups - These are basically targetted towards singular moves, you find out how to blow someone up for using said move after blocking something specific or at a specific spacing. Then can use it preemptively to bait said move out or just use the threat of it to open up your offense after said move.

3 - Evasion Tactics - This is similar to setups, but more of the after she hits you end. If she hits you with B,B will stepping said move after get you a punish and if so how much damage from said punish? What about backstep and what moves does she have that will create the proper distance to allow me to use said option successfully?

More later, off to cry like a little emo bitch dressed in black.

KA - Defensive practice like that is pointless. If you practice things in series to block them your mind is going to know the series and block without needing input from the game. The only way to really practice that is either a VF4:Evo level practice mode where you can have a setup with random followups (can you say 5 different records that have variable frequency (oh and SC4 may have said practice features, I haven't tooled around with it enough to really know)) OR have a practice partner to throw moves out at random so you can practice blocking.

Can I ask a personal question????
How much time do people spend per week playing SC4?
Be honest now guys.
Perhaps we could create a parameter that measures on-line skill level (OLSL) such :
OLSL = Level /({months playing SC} x ({hours/week in SC} + {hours/week on-line}))

In my case this would equate to: OLSL = 22/(9 x (4 + 2)) = 0.41

This can't work, for 3 reasons.

1) Online Level means nothing. Zero. Nada. Zip.
2) Time spent playing does not necessarily = skill (read the article, it pretty much spells this out).
3) You can't quantify skill into a number.

I play maybe once every two weeks for about 3-4 hours, offline.
During my peak playing time, I played about 8 hours a week offline, and spent a good 3 hours a week in training mode.

That's all it took to become better than 90% of the people to play the game.

-Idle

KA - Defensive practice like that is pointless. If you practice things in series to block them your mind is going to know the series and block without needing input from the game. The only way to really practice that is either a VF4:Evo level practice mode where you can have a setup with random followups (can you say 5 different records that have variable frequency (oh and SC4 may have said practice features, I haven't tooled around with it enough to really know)) OR have a practice partner to throw moves out at random so you can practice blocking.

you can record up to 3 different actions for the computer to randomly do and try to defend accordingly. using this is how i trained myself to block Yoshi dragonfly mixups on reaction, though i'm not sure if it'd be much good for anything else.

As far as blocking is concerned...I practice for moves with similar start up animations but end in either mid or low. Like Mitsurugi's 236B and his 1A.

BEENEEWEENEES
I believe it's a lot more than 3 actions, it's about 7-10 or something. Unless, you mean specifically 3 mixup situations.

And it's interesting you mention that....because you can react to Yoshi's Dragonfly mixups, but most people can't. So that is an excellent way to spend practice time.

I tend to put the computer on the hardest setting in practice and fight them for hours. Usually characters that I personally have trouble with like asta or ivy.

That or I practice other possible combos I could be doing. Its how I learned most of my combos xD

I've spent some time in training mode actually being productive but I've spent too much time messing around. The important thing is to go into training mode with a plan and stick to it. It can become frustrating but it's all part of the process. Eventually you gain a sense of satisfaction knowing that you will no longer be susceptible to simple mixups that have haunted you in the past. If you don't know how to train, ask someone knowledgeable. Have them break down specific things you should work on and how exactly to go about it.

And another thing I learned with training is sometimes things need to marinate. Sometimes you can practice combos or work on a match up for hours on end and nothing will happen. The answer is not to endlessly beat a dead horse, the answer is to give it a break for a day or two and then go back to. Somethings just don't happen in a day. Execution for one takes time. Even if your not nailing all of your character's combos you shouldn't spend 90% of your training time on execution. You will do far better knowing match ups and having solid knowledge of the game while only using basic combos then you would having little knowledge of the game and match ups while doing the most complex combos.

These are things I've learned the hard way throughout my time with SC4 and that I will try to stick to in the future with SC5 and all fighting games.

I tend to put the computer on the hardest setting in practice and fight them for hours. Usually characters that I personally have trouble with like asta or ivy.

That or I practice other possible combos I could be doing. Its how I learned most of my combos xD

This doesn't work, and not because I'm an elitist against the AI or anything like that.

I can tell you right now that the AI for any fighting game is inherently flawed -- either they can't block certain setups, or block all setups -- something a human would never be able to do.

Case and point: Ivy will almost always hit an AI with her CL A+B[A+K] on the second hit for no good reason. Yet, anyone who plays Ivy knows that this move is unsafe/predictable and should be used sparingly. You need to be consciously aware of the AI's limitations, and even then this doesn't come close to actually praticing setups with a person.

NEED to add this here:

Playing against the CPU nonstop can develop really really bad habits. Just like playing only online, or playing against only 1 or 2 people. The CPU can not handle complex ideas and can not problem solve well. It can be exploited HARD. If you lack decent competition then play CPU sparingly. It's good for building reaction time, but useless for practicing mix ups. As a side note, thank you Idle for breaking the bad news to me. It humbled me greatly and allowed me to reflect on my fighting style and how I handle situations. Example: Pick Zasalamel. Do only 2A and 4B+K.

This is a wonderful topic. Ive been wondering how top players practice, other than play against humans.

Someone like me who virtually has no offline scene, Has trouble practicing effectivly. So Ive been doing most the things in Hates post. I mostly go into training mode and set up certain situations against characters that give me trouble and practice defence and counters.

But Ive been wondering if Im doing it correctly. Or if there is some better way I should be practicing. I will set the CPU on very hard (cause Grand Master just seems un-realistic) and not try to just beat the computer, but keeping an eye out for certain moves or situations and see how I counter it on reaction.

So is there a better way that someone like me can practice without having the aid of actual humans to play with?

HRD

For me, it's a lot of scenario recreation, and a little bit of input practice. I mean, it's always good to know you have a handle on JagA, a+ka2A, and A+Ka2A. But most of the time, it's me going "Okay, my opponent has this option - what things can I do as Siegfried to beat it?" A lot of it is trying to be creative just for creativity's sake, using stances transitions to escape strings - sometimes it ends up actually being the catch-all option, but most of the time I end up sticking to 3B, 4K, etc; moves that are tried and true tend to be that way for most scenarios.

NEED to add this here:

Playing against the CPU nonstop can develop really really bad habits. Just like playing only online, or playing against only 1 or 2 people. The CPU can not handle complex ideas and can not problem solve well. It can be exploited HARD. If you lack decent competition then play CPU sparingly. It's good for building reaction time, but useless for practicing mix ups. As a side note, thank you Idle for breaking the bad news to me. It humbled me greatly and allowed me to reflect on my fighting style and how I handle situations. Example: Pick Zasalamel. Do only 2A and 4B+K.
huh, Daaaaaaamn

I only practice execution, other than that I just play other good players and steal their strats

I don't have local comp, so whenever I play SC at home I'm usually in training mode making sure my reactions are up to speed and trying to find new "tech" for my characters (not much to find at this point) or playing online/against the CPU. The only reason I play the CPU is to make sure my reaction stuff is in check (GIing certain moves on reaction, dealing with certain strings, hit confirming and whiff punishment off step, ducked grab etc...). Besides that, there isn't really a point in playing it due to the exploitable nature of the AI.

That said, all of these things are unfortunately boring to me (I used to spend a LOT of time in training) or add very little to my overall game, but at the very least they help me maintain my "level" in between sessions.

Live streams

4 Viewers
duskybook342150
duskybook342150
💙🙃💋 adult content [18+] and 420 friendly, 🎙️mic optional

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members