Hate Speech: We Talkin' Bout Practice?

Most of us, at some point during our competitive lives, have thought something along these lines: "I know I would have beaten that guy if I spent as much time playing the game as he does." In fact, it's because enough people have explained to me that I only won a match because, instead of practicing, they spend all of their free time having sex with supermodels, making irrational amounts of money, and curing cancer all at once that I'm writing this column and sharing some of my most closely guarded nerd secrets. Consider it a thank you to all of you sex-having, bill-stacking Nobel laureates out there for doing so much and asking so little in return.

xdVRD.jpg
My Editor was too busy banging supermodels AND sleeping to get this article up on time.

Whether you're a walking bye, a mid-level player looking to improve, or even a seasoned tournament pro, the importance of how you practice cannot be overstated. Now re-read that last sentence. How you practice is more important than how long you practice. One of the most crucial differences between elite players and the people whose faces they're stomping simply comes down to practice habits. With a little bit of planning, it's possible to squeeze a lot of benefit out of even a short practice period.

Work Smarter, Not Harder

Having had the distinct misfortune of watching many, many less than stellar players flail about in practice mode, I can say with extreme certainty that "just winging it" is, by far, the least effective means to improve one's skills. Remember, we're on a tight schedule--every second we spend in practice mode is a second that beautiful women (or men), the global economy, and millions of cancer patients all suffer without us--so it's imperative to waste as little time as possible. As such, let's start by outlining our various deficiencies, then devise a plan to hit everything as quickly and brutally as possible. Practice mode tends to be most useful for the following:

Basic knowledge/execution
Spend time learning your character. Make certain that you can execute moves and combos reliably. In most cases, this is a relatively minor hurdle. In some, such as Setsuka or Cervantes, continual practice is necessary. Recognize these needs and budget accordingly.

Information gathering
Learn the properties of your character's moves. Are they safe or unsafe? Do any have tech crouches or tech jumps? What are your best punishes? However, this category also includes gleaning information about other characters, such as learning punishment and practicing how to cope with specific moves and tactics.

Scenario re-creation
Replaying common situation that arise in match-ups and determining the most reliable counters.

Experimentation
A little freestyle, but with a purpose. Playing around with maximizing wall damage, experimenting with nonstandard counters, etc.

Of these, scenario re-creation is worth the most in-depth analysis. Soul Calibur games have outstanding practice modes; we can record, play back, and otherwise tweak variables in order to re-create almost any scenario that might arise during game-play. This is perhaps the most crucial difference between haphazard and effective practicing. Of course, it's not enough to simply re-create a mixup situation and find one way out of it. We must look for universal solutions.

LN5r1.jpg
Universal solutions like oil, which will always work and never cause us any problems. Ever.

Take, as an example, Raphael's 4(B) into prep stance on block against me, a Cervantes player. Let's say I identify that the Raph against whom I play is really abusing this particular tactic against me. I can record the moves in practice mode and play them back, experimenting with various counters. I may even find specific defensive answers to whether he follows with an A or a B, and so on. What I really want, though, is a universal answer. In this case, I call upon the information I gathered about my move properties, remembering that my 1B has a built-in sidestep. Tweaking my practice settings and experimenting some more, I quickly learn that blocking a Raph 4(B) means I can use my own 1B to stop every option available to him.

The above example showcases using the peculiarities of an otherwise less than stellar move to completely stuff an otherwise annoying mixup scenario. Connecting the dots, as it were, is purely the result of effective practice.

Zz4BD.jpg
Going into practice mode will produce this result from your casual friends. Be warned, cheater!

In point of fact, most characters have incredibly situational moves like Cervantes' 1B. It simply falls to you to discover and implement them. Remember, when re-creating a mixup scenario, try everything. You might find a universal solution. Only if you fail to do so should you practice situational tactics.

The next question, of course, is how you identify the situations to practice. This is where analytical, intelligent play pays real dividends. Even if you only have an hour or two per week to play against humans, you can capitalize on it by making mental notes of which moves and scenarios give you the most trouble, then going into the lab to find the most solid counters you can. Beyond that, simply utilize your spare time to good effect. We all have downtime every day; taking an idle moment to wonder about how a particular mixup can be defeated might be all it takes to significantly step up your game.

Ultimately, it doesn't necessarily take countless hours to have a deep understanding of one's character. More important is being analytical, having a plan, and executing that plan. Rather than wasting time learning how to defeat the computer on its hardest difficulty, effectively use your practice time to suss out the most effective counter-tactics to common situations. It is guaranteed practice will reward you handsomely.

Homework:
What are your practice routines? How do you get the most out of every minute you spend training? Also, what are some quirky, situational move properties possessed by your character? Let's build a library of universal counters.

This is exactly how I practice. One the most fun things to do in training mode is finding out how to avoid mixups.

For Sophie, G236 is a universal counter to many setups and can really gimp a character's movelist. Players generally have a personal movelist which was developed without such an effective super TC in mind, and can force people to change it up. A common answer is 2K or a mid with strong CH properties, but getting hit while in Angel Step only results in a NH.

Angel Side Step (2365 8_2) also defeats some setups. Also, it can be used after the super TC, and the timing of the sidestep can be varied. As long as you know when which moves will come if they're not delayed, what part of each move has evading frames, and where the actual hitboxes are, you can come with some nasty option selects.

For my offense, I make sure my set of options does not have a universal answer and that I make use of every frame that's given to me. I look for situations where their likely attacks come one frame too late. This maximizes my options and risk/reward. It also makes people think I'm using lag tactics on them (lol Xeph...)

Combined with on-point punishing and careful stage control, I limit my opponent's options to nothing, except run away and hope I whiff.

Unfortunately with DEV close at hand I'm not sharing anything specific. Great read though, Hates nails it again

I really don't have access to an offline scene or an online scene, so I don't really have the chance to be become good. I've played a bit online, but we only have one computer and no router so we have to take down the internet to play on Live (and since the computer is shared between 5 people, that is rarely down).

Offline, I play against my dad and my two brothers (one older, and one younger). My older brother doesn't play very often, but he's a beast as Mitsurugi (probably because he's the only guy he ever picks :p). I have also played against two friends, but very triangularly (though I have to thank them for being the ones who introduced me to this wonderful franchise). Other than that, my play is exclusively against the AI (which, as people have so kindly pointed out, isn't the most stellar way to practice).

I was going to try and make it to Devastation for my first offline event, but I'm going to be too busy banging supermodels and winning Nobel Prizes.

Seriously, though, I just don't have the time/money to be competitive. Well, I have time, but no car, lol. And my parents/brother wouldn't exactly be ecstatic about chauffeuring me around to play a video game XD.

When Soul Calibur V comes out though, I promise that some of you will have the honor of handing my ass to me in a game of Soul Calibur. :D

Every SC game has different aspects to work on it. In SC we practice too much mind games and extra damage combos; in SC2 we practice 8WR combos, and safe poke strategy; in SC3 we practice wall combos, punishment, anti string GI, hard Just inputs commands, and a lot more... in SC3 I have to take the time to learn every character in the game just to understand better the mechanics build in each one...

In SC4 I have to practice only against annoying moves... just ukemi Mitsurugi 2kB; duck against the string Ralph B+K AA; keep attacking Yun with A moves; and keep moving in the right way to have a chance to beat Amy... more or less SC4 kill the excitement to practice.

JG and all the new mechanics are solid evidence of the incoming fun times practicing SCV; finding moves to combo CE; JG strings; linking BE moves, and much more. I guess I'l love this SC as much as I love the JPN SC3.

In addition to the stuff to practice mentionend above i've found it quite useful to practice hit- and counterhit-checking on the dummy:

Set it to random blocking and set counter to random too.
Then attack it, see if and how you hit it.
Then continue accordingly.

Easy example: Taki's 11K:
On block it's safe, but you are at big disadvantage, so you better block.
On hit you are at a slight disadvantage so you block or attack fast or with evasion.
On counter hit you combo off of the bounce stun it gives.

Practising this makes it that you are not a "prisoner of your own combo".

While at the same time not missing a chance to do damage/make use of advantage.

Not all moves are hitcheckable though

AI Practice isn't necessarily the worst thing ever with the right mindset. But again I do the same things in training mode that I am about to begin advocating, so take it for what it is. I also talk a bit about "free practice" which IMO is just putting a dummy on random guard and tech options to practice your offense. This can extend to practice against the AI or any number of setting in freestyle.

The important thing with free practice is the frame of mind. This begins with suspending a winning mentality, considering your options and considering your play so far. A simple 3 step process to self improvement (and a hell of an upgrade from that 12 step bullshit)

First you have to stop playing to win, because in any form of practice you will just start a predictable series of attacks that you will reinforce into a habit that will hurt you once someone picks up on it. Your goal should simply be to hit as many different setups and make sure that your options cover every defensive base that exists.

Ideally when I use a setup in practice as it happens I reflect on the defensive options that are possible, what the move is intended to stop and the options of the opponent that will win in the given scenario. This is a progressive approach where you will start with the first question and move on as you answer each point for each setup you use, developing first general knowledge, setup knowledge and then matchup knowledge.

Finally you want to consider your image to an opponent. What moves have you been favoring? How can they exploit that and what must you do to counter them for trying? The real important point to this step is DO NOT BECOME PREDICTABLE. When practicing it's very easy to fall into patterns, you have to identify them in yourself and change them so you don't predictably lead with anything after scoring a hit.

There are some other considerations as well. During all this you should take note whenever you drop a combo and practice it later. Dwelling on that and going to practice it right there will not only derail your free practice, but give you one of the most predictable faults to a seasoned player. You will drop a combo and go right back to the starter to try and prove to yourself that you can hit the combo. So not only can someone smart predict your next combo starter, you also put your mental focus away from the match at hand.

If you apply those principles to practice it's hard to find an opponent that is that bad where you can't improve. Even the AI can help, because there is going to be a time where your option doesn't work in a matchup or at a specific spacing and building up experience like that will help you fine tune your game to where it should be.

It's no fun to play edge master in practice in IV. After I try a few combos, it would GI or parry. It's just frustrating. But then I made more combos it couldn't predict and I was killing online. Well now my games messed up, so not a lot of options are available in the game anymore.

Interesting read and some very good points. Up until this time, I've mainly used practice mode for working on my set ups and combos. My reaction needs a little work, but then again with no offline comp and having to play online most of the time, I'm not surprised my reaction needs some polishing. Well, off to the training room for me!

I practice combo's religiously so that I never lose my timing in a real match.

I go through each character and look at each scenario (aka move) and make a list of every one that can be punished on block, or needs an evasion of some sort. (This took me 6 months to complete in SC4, with 1hr of practice per day.)

I look at every offensive option my character has and match it to every offensive situation they can create (took about 2 weeks).

I then look at every offensive option I have and look at what defensive options each opponent has. (I never finished this for 4.)

I quickly came to the conclusion that Jump -> Doom Combo was broken beyond belief, but yes, like Hates said, if something pisses you off, Lab it and break it apart. Next time they try it on you destroy their soul. Finding out you have a universal answer to every mix-up option of a move is key.
And that answer doesn't have to be a single move, it can be an option select such as Step-G.

SC5 is possibly going to be far more Training modish since you'll also want to practice timing your Just Guards for certain moves. GI has always made some options avoidable, but Just Guard makes them purely unsafe. You can Counter GI someone, If they Just Guard you, you're fucked.

You guys already said a lot of great things, so I'm just gonna add this:

Two-player training mode should be taken advantaged of as much as possible. Yes, the temptation is to just go right into versus mode with your buddy. However, if you can find one other person who wants to learn the game at a competitive level, the merits of going into training mode with your partner can not be ignored.

Hates talked about How You Practice > How Much You Practice. Now take those good practicing methods and have your buddy control the AI. Your efficiency just increased a lot. You're not wasting time setting up A.I. commands, because your partner is already doing it. And you have the benefit of having one other person in the room to add extra insights and think of scenarios with you that can be examined.

At the very same time, you're helping your partner's game too.

Two-player training mode: Saves time and makes training extra efficient.

At the very same time, you're helping your partner's game too.

Two-player training mode: Saves time and makes training extra efficient.
Quite. If this were an actual martial art, it might be called "drilling", and it's hella effective.

Also, your parter can do slight variations to mess with (and train up) your reactions in a way that you can't really train the AI to do; they're practicing the attack while you're practicing the defense and vice versa.

I use to train with my opponent on EM. I realized that it isn't accurate, everyone fights differently. It does help with practicing blocks and GIs.

The fact of the matter is that it has to do more so with reading the movements of your opponent. Instead of putting all your time into just playing the character you chose, fight every character (even yours) on the hardest difficulty possible and read how the comp pulls off such moves. If you can do that, then you should be able to read the opponent's moves well enough. Granted, you should take baby steps up and up (normal to hard, hard to very hard etc.). This is how I practice and it helps for the most part, just be sure to spend as much time on both parts equally.

So this is how you train lol. I just guess half the time I really have no idea what I am doing I've practiced maybe 3hours since the game came out and I do ok but that would take lots of time to go through and see which moves are punishable and what you should do in certain situations. I guess that's what the difference between a good player and a great player is.

I think i'd have to practice defense the most like seeing lows, reading mix-ups etc. AI can help a bit like teaching to guard/crouch strings.
But AI rarely, if at all, confronts you with the really evil frame traps, tech traps and other bullshit humans come up with.

But i've also seen the AI randomly do stuff i've never seen before from a human, stuff that can be very useful.

Live streams

5 Viewers
SeichoTV
SeichoTV
Ranked battles before we hop on COD! C: Come vibe friends :3 ☯ | Love Questions and Anime! Ask up c: | Backseating okay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back