Heaven's Net Casts Wide: Yoshimitsu General Discussion

This character is kinda busted. He rewards good fundamentals, and has the oki to really put fear into opponents. Also his BEs actually seem extremely useful.

His backdash cancel (236 236 236 etc) is actually extremely dumb good, it creates an absurd amount of space.

FC 3k into CC 3bb still works, but might need more testing.

BBB lethal hits on backstep catch

Deathcopter 8a+b still works, but it's actually kind of wack in this game.

214a into 3bb seemed to work but I need to test that more

Hopefully I'll have more notes coming soon

BEs so far:

4A BE - basically EWGF, tracking high horizontal, adv on block with pushback, also puts out a long lasting high hitbox, is a break attack
AA BE - CH confirm horizontal, RE-protected by a break attack at the end, third hit GIable. Not that much damage though.
WR A BE - mid punch into a launcher that auto-transitions to DGF, ideal crouching punish, I'm pretty sure I got DGF B to hit and cause a ground stun but when I tried it again later, it failed
6BB BE - mid CH confirm, combo filler on 44bB lethal hit and possible other lethal hits, combos to 6K (BE) or 4A BE, seems safe on block?

And now, Boom vs IRM showed a 6K BE. Standing punisher and crouch punisher for when WR A BE is too slow, I guess. Combo ender that doesn't send them behind you? Lvl 2 post-GI followup?

@Signia can you test something for me when you are able to play again? I have a theory on how BBB lethal hits, and I think it has to do with how early in the animation you catch a backstep. Maybe because Taki's backdash is slower, I was able to lethal hit Taki when she backstepped after a 1k but not maxi, so idk. Then again my test partner could have done the wrong thing too...

Ah, I didn't see that post somehow.

I didn't get a whole lot of time with the game at AX, they only gave one ticket for a 15 minute session per day, I went for two days. Two people get to play per ticket, so I got to play using one other person's tickets as well. Also, I got to play sometimes when there were no-shows (the tickets were reservation vouchers for particular times). There were two setups total. So, I only got about an hour and thirty minutes with the game. And to top it off, the monitors lagged and they didn't have a stick to use.

Yoshimitsu stuff I learned:

-3BB grounded hit can be teched out of after the first part of the move hits. 3(B) ~DGF results in a good setup against techers, though.

-CH MCF doesn't combo into CE, in fact they have time to step the CE after the flash. That means CE is at least 8 frames too slow to work. MCF is at least +17 stun since WS B works by edge/wall. That means CE is at least i25. That doesn't seem quite right, though, since I could punish someone else's CE on block with my own CE, I forget which one that was.

-I couldn't execute CH MCF into b:A due to monitor lag, but it looks only possible on deep hits, as in, you hit the CH MCF at close range. If you use dash MCF in neutral properly, usually you get more tip range hits. It's going to be difficult to confirm both the CH and the close hit not to mention the tight timing it must have if it is possible at all.

-SDGF B and A are the usual attacks. SDGF K doesn't heal or give meter I don't think, but it also never makes Yoshi fall down. Forgot to test if he had 8B+K. Idk, doesn't seem any more useful than the old SDGF. Maybe I'll use it to force my way in after Soul Charge, but that uses up a lot SC time and plenty of characters still have their anti-air attacks.

-1BB, 4A+B (old 4B) are not advantage on block. FC 1AAA is not advantage on hit, feels like -4. 4AAA is advantage on hit.

-Old 9B+K is still definitely in the game, but I still can't figure out how I did it. It had something to do with crouching, I think.

-SDGF B and A are the usual attacks. SDGF K doesn't heal or give meter I don't think, but it also never makes Yoshi fall down. Forgot to test if he had 8B+K. Idk, doesn't seem any more useful than the old SDGF. Maybe I'll use it to force my way in after Soul Charge, but that uses up a lot SC time and plenty of characters still have their anti-air attacks.

I haven't even seen SDF in videos yet. Very nice. And since K doesn't have the randomness hopefully they're going to finally remove that aspect of a all of those JF moves from V.

Not sure if that stuff has been mentioned yet.
Yoshis Life drain throw input is now 6A+G. If the opponent breaks it yoshi loses health instead.
His 22A is a lethal hit and knocks up allowing a follow up.
His 66B+K also lethal hits but doesnt knock up.
3A,A has his old thrust animation. And acts as a attack throw if the second hit counter hits.

Some rough thoughts from the weekend just gone:

Missed a lot of SC5 moves and properties. 22K.. 22B where the main ones. However I think 22A will make up for these.. its really fast.

FC1K series doesn't catch rollers. Overall I felt the oki was abit worse this time around because of lack of otg options. 3B + mixups is strong though on the ground. Also was going for a lot of guard damage setups on wakeup; A+B is more viable. 6A+B A+B is really fast as well.. but does reset the distance on block which might be fine depending on the MU.

Missed not having 6KK. Can make this up if have meter 6K BE or 4A BE.

MED B lethal hits if hits behind. Not sure how to set this up though.

22A lethal hit is kick ass. Gives a kinda tekken style bounce for follow ups.

(A+B) K cannot be used as a back turn attack :( This is because it auto corrects.. yoshi insta turns to face opponent. Could be wrong but it didn't work at all for me and I set it up more than once.

There were quite a few times I noticed you could get a really short (maybe shakeable?) stun off moves like 33B. I think what we're meant to be going for there is b:A setups to steal meter.

SC is really good but does make the gameplan more predictable. It's a fine balancing act between SC rushdown, threat of any range CE whiff punish and just BE moves on tap.

Conlusion: day 1 I was not impressed at all but that was because I tried to play him like SC5 which is now a bad way to play him. However by the end of the weekend I was doing anything to get even just half a bar to make the threats of 4A BE (which can reverse ringout) etc. Oh and 3B is hella good.

He feels simpler on the whole which ordinarily i would have said was a bad thing but it really isn't; he's way more accessible without the execution barriers of iMCF.. a:B+K and 4A series.

Also not sure if people know but b:A is executable from crouched, it's not like you have to RCC or anything. Was it like that in 5? I can't remember

Quick question about a couple of moves. Has anyone performed a perfect landing after DGF throw? And also, how exactly do you do a just frame while absorbing souls? Thanks.

I had a question from the beta too, how do you do his low spinny sword combo? I did it on accident at some point, he gets low to the ground and spins fast with his sword in a circle for a few hits. My first time really dabbling much with Yoshimitsu, fun guy.

Also not sure if people know but b:A is executable from crouched, it's not like you have to RCC or anything. Was it like that in 5? I can't remember
I only reminded b:A in teh last 15 minutes and forgot to proper test this rom crouched, did you play the beta and tried this again?

I only reminded b:A in teh last 15 minutes and forgot to proper test this rom crouched, did you play the beta and tried this again?

I did play but i didnt get to really try it. Game was kinda laggy for me. Hopefully it's stll in..

According to an online manual, :B::B::B: lethal hit has nothing to do with backstep, and occurs when the opponent gets with with it while they have 2 full bars of meter.

I think :2::2::A: lethal hit seems to occur when you hit a side-walking opponent, but I am not sure.

:6::6::B+K: has a really tight, janky lethal hit. You have to vault over a low attack, which seems really weird to me because during a handspring vault, you're only off the ground for a fraction of a second due to his hands touching the ground during the flip. I have no idea where the low crush is.

:6::A: supposedly lethal hits if you've done soul absorb 10 times.

Back