Hilde: Q&A/General Discussion Thread

22b is fucking awesome its not hard getting peopple to stop stepping
Her ce will fuck you up if she sees you quick stepping
A+b owns
A charges own
66a owns
22a owns
22k owns

Thanks. I figure my biggest weakness aside from optimizing my punishes is character knowledge so any small tips on how to fight against them are a great help. Against Nightmare that's what I was mostly getting blown up by. His horizontal mid and low swings look real similar, and it's hard to know when to attack once he has a CE stocked. Seems this'll just be a case of familiarity

Pyrrha has been giving me trouble since it seems I have no breathing room up close. So she's a strong punisher who's mostly safe? I have no clue how to keep her out and have been resorting to throwing out random 2A+Bs (I'm aware this is a bad strat now btw) in the hopes that it'll go under her fast highs

Well, for Nightmare, my best strat is to just stay ranged. If he misses a few moves, he is completely wide open for most strikes. Plus his verticle attacks are easy to 88/22 B him.

22b is fucking awesome its not hard getting peopple to stop stepping
Her ce will fuck you up if she sees you quick stepping
A+b owns
A charges own
66a owns
22a owns
22k owns

- 22b simply will not connect if your opponent is sidestepping, they don't even need to quickstep and its very easy to punish.
- A+B owns: Agreed!
- A Charges own: Agreed!
- 66A owns: I get more use from 66k but finding 66b > BE a great counter to blocked CE attacks.
- 22A owns: It does against players who don't recognise it, i've turned numerous players into a wall then backdropped em. For any player in ranking with half an ounce of knowledge the 2nd hit can be ducked and punished hard. If you don't think so then you're in for a wake up call when it happens.
- 22k owns: wut? Clumsy move with no damage, sc4 Hilde could add a hit which would turn the enemy like 22a

- 22b simply will not connect if your opponent is sidestepping, they don't even need to quickstep and its very easy to punish.
- A+B owns: Agreed!
- A Charges own: Agreed!
- 66A owns: I get more use from 66k but finding 66b > BE a great counter to blocked CE attacks.
- 22A owns: It does against players who don't recognise it, i've turned numerous players into a wall then backdropped em. For any player in ranking with half an ounce of knowledge the 2nd hit can be ducked and punished hard. If you don't think so then you're in for a wake up call when it happens.
- 22k owns: wut? Clumsy move with no damage, sc4 Hilde could add a hit which would turn the enemy like 22a
your thinking about this game all wrong

most step killers have a fair degree of risk in this game
22K is safe mid and kills step that alone makes it good in the context of SC5. Look at every other mid step killer in the game outside of phrrya 66A. how many are safe?
once you get them to hold still moves BB/22B/44K dont seem like such trash anymore all of which are actually rather good

ps notice I said 22A rather then 22AA. 22A is still safe by itself and +4 on hit

most step killers have a fair degree of risk in this game

Not really, the bigger hitters like Nightmare or Asta have good step killers that can be done from range. Although not completely safe they are a damn lot safer than Hilde's 22k which puts you right next to your opponent.

Hilde's whole game is supposed to be based on her range although I like using her up close. For step kill her safest and most punishing option has got to be c3a as its safe on block...as long as you don't miss the first hit. :)

once you get them to hold still moves BB/22B/44K dont seem like such trash anymore all of which are actually rather good

bb and 22b if they are not constantly sidestepping are great, no complaints. 44k not so much anymore, i used to have more joy with that move in SC4.

Not really, the bigger hitters like Nightmare or Asta have good step killers that can be done from range. Although not completely safe they are a damn lot safer than Hilde's 22k which puts you right next to your opponent.

Hilde's whole game is supposed to be based on her range although I like using her up close. For step kill her safest and most punishing option has got to be c3a as its safe on block...as long as you don't miss the first hit. :)

bb and 22b if they are not constantly sidestepping are great, no complaints. 44k not so much anymore, i used to have more joy with that move in SC4.

I also find Hilde to be useful trickster. You can always purposefully miss a move then come up with a super fast CA attack. Or use A+B hold and if they block, instead of releasing B, release A first. If they tried to sidestep you, you will spin them and be able to release CB3. If they are going to try and block, just delay your attack for a bit more. You might not hit CA2 but you will still hit them with a powerful CA3.

nightmare aGa is high theres a huge amount of risk there step 22B crushes it
asta 66AB is steppable
66a is madly unsafe if you dont do the follow up

your concept of risk reward is flawed 22K is a safe step killing mid with fair range....what more do you want? It literally has the same frames as 66K

Why is it that u don't like 22B? the move is awesome, yes you can step it easily but if you know how to use it you can abuse of that technique and do combos around 97dmg without even using the meter. You should be the one stepping and then use 22B, the move is pure win.

How do you guys have your buttons laid out on your controller? Trying to find the ideal layout.

I'm a day one scrub Hilde, took her into training after getting beat online by a user, and I've found something that is new to me, but is certainly old news to anyone else.

I use the standard set up for a pad, except I have my K and B buttons switched and I have G also mapped on L2 for JG's.

Anyway, you can use the macro's of A+B as substitutes for actual buttons. for example

the basic BnB combo

A+B hold, c2B g c2A

hit A+B for the first hit and at the same time hit A and hold both. Release A+B and it will do the c2B, it won't do an A or another A+B, becuase you already are holding A down. I use the L2 G to turn around and release A for the last hit.

This works for alot of stuff. at long range, I keep A held down, and use A+B for all my B moves, like 22B is actually 22A+B, once 22A+B hits, I release A+B for the c1B follow merterless follow up.

so yeah, I can scrub it up without mapping entirely new buttons save for the extra G that I use for any character, since I find flicking the trigger for a just gaurd easier than tapping the face button.

U will find Hildes, but u wont find good Hilde players online, thats for sure, the ones I found where total trash with CAS almost naked and spamming 6BBB

Is dis a trash CAS? :c But yeah her moveset is delicious. A lot of people get hit by her A+B, easy follow up with C2B -> C2A.

JuTyA.jpg

How do you guys have your buttons laid out on your controller? Trying to find the ideal layout.
I just made LB/L1 into A, and RB/R1 into B. I believe it's a relatively common setup. I find it helps me with other characters besides Hilde, as well. It's just what felt natural to me.

nightmare aGa is high theres a huge amount of risk there step 22B crushes it
asta 66AB is steppable
66a is madly unsafe if you dont do the follow up

your concept of risk reward is flawed 22K is a safe step killing mid with fair range....what more do you want? It literally has the same frames as 66K

I use Hilde exclusively as no other characters interest me, that was the draw for me in SC4. I guess i'm missing her sidestep moves from that and 22k is a move i've rarely used or found a real use for. Maybe i'll start using it more to see how it goes.

Why is it that u don't like 22B? the move is awesome, yes you can step it easily but if you know how to use it you can abuse of that technique and do combos around 97dmg without even using the meter. You should be the one stepping and then use 22B, the move is pure win.

Don't get me wrong I love 22b, its a nice setup for CE, 66a+b or c2b > c3a. Its just against stronger players its usage is limited if:

- you can't maintain range
- they sidestep a lot
- they tech/stay down

If you can see a move coming, they don't sidestep or you catch them on wake up its all good, if it misses you're basically f*cked. Its like c3b, the third hit adds nice damage but if you get ahead of yourself and the first two hits were blocked you're left unable to guard and at the moment it doesn't get punished. Despite the fact you're stood there for what feels like an eternity when you land and people will soon catch onto that fact.

If you're on PSN add me and we'll do some player matches and i'll show you where i'm coming from. Maybe you guys know a way of landing it consistently that i'm missing.

Hm. Can you explain what that BnB thing means? :< I'm a scrub and new to fighting games.

Also, any tips on using G to turn around? Every time I do it, it doesn't work. :<

I do pretty well with her with default binds. There's no real advantage in this game to binding other buttons unless you're having trouble holding charges.

Apat honestly...I have no idea he doesnt seem to have any weaknesses granted the only A pat I played was woahhzz who has inhuman execution.

Lol woahhzz execution is maybe on 60%, give him some time, then you will see the real alpha pat....it will get a lot worse.

But he has weaknesses, just not much. No Mid Antisteps would be one weakness....

Hm. Can you explain what that BnB thing means? :< I'm a scrub and new to fighting games.

Also, any tips on using G to turn around? Every time I do it, it doesn't work. :<
BnB = bread and butter, your basic damagedealing combo.

Just hit G when they are on the other side of you. I've heard other people say you can hold G until you see yourself turn, I haven't tried it though.

BnB = bread and butter, your basic damagedealing combo.

Just hit G when they are on the other side of you. I've heard other people say you can hold G until you see yourself turn, I haven't tried it though.
Tbh, I think it is easier to hit once you launch them in the air and your move ends. It is much easier that way. The only thing that seems to stop people from doing the B+K animation is if they do the C2B too quickly.

Back