Hilde: Q&A/General Discussion Thread

I personally think her hardest match-ups are against Alpha, Natsu & Maxi (and other speedy characters). With Hilde being a punish/turtle character, it's really hard to punish characters with extremely quick and safe attacks. Also, they are difficult to zone because they can close the distance very easily.
Hilde is the game's turtle, so like all turtle characters in fighting games, you have to learn to defend and punish.

[...]

tl;dr - She is a turtle, so guard and punish. That's about all she can do. So if you aren't willing to spend time learning the in and outs of every character and their punish-ability, don't bother playing her. I'd honestly place her lower on a tier list.

[...]
Strength - She destroys side-steppers

[...]

Discuss things like improving her mix-up game, her anti-side stepping game, etc. Whatever you think is necessary post it here, or ask questions and see if we can help you overcome one of her weaknesses or get better at using one of her strengths.

By doing this we can share ideas and all improve as a team of Hilde players.

Discuss.
Very, very, interesting posts, if solely for the reason that I have independently reached those conclusions myself.

If anyone cares to read the post below (long post), I have written my findings.

Remember me? Toronto Hilde player who stopped playing SCV for a bit because I couldn't afford the time to play it before. Started playing again recently: headed into ranked and global colloseo and got myself into a fight right away with Maxi, Natsu, Tira, Xiba, Leixia, and Ezio. Not-so-coincidentally, I had an easier time beating the latter 4, and had the toughest time beating Maxi — his shit is ridiculously safe/fast, from what I have encountered.

You also are 100% right on the money. We, as Hilde players, need to place an increased emphasis on match-up knowledge. That's fine by me though—every top player has to know the match-ups well, and Kuroda is nigh impossible-to-beat in SF3: 3S because of his godly understanding of every character.

I started practising (turtling) in Quick Battle against Ramon (Nightmare), MCZ Kayane (Leixia), Slitzklin (sp? Hilde) and Partisan (Patroklos; shout-outs to TO), and that was how I learned how effective Hilde was at baiting-and-punishing. Hell, her CE really seems to specialize in punishing considering its insane tracking-ability, range, speed, and damage.

Still in the process of learning her normals, I restricted myself to using just her horizontal moves, grabs, and Critical Edge so I could become very familiar with their strengths and weaknesses, and to see how useful they are in these match-ups. Just from her horizontal move arsenal, she has killer anti-side-stepping tools in 6A and 3A.

Really, 6A is outstanding.

It tracks so god-damn well, and if you make good reads frequently, you gain a significant psychological advantage over your opponent from having constantly stuffed their movement. Partisan especially liked to get hit by my well-timed 3As and 6As :). 1A is a decent mention, but it has not been all too reliable for me for stuffing side-steps.

However, the Hilde CPU was the most difficult to fight against, because as it didn't side-step often, I lost that valuable damage from the anti-sidestep tools. That, combined with it turtling and having an unrestricted move list, this match-up was incredibly more difficult than the others.

At the moment, I have found no good way to open up the opponent with Hilde's A moves. I'll see if I can find a way after more practise.

tl;dr - She is a turtle, so guard and punish. That's about all she can do. So if you aren't willing to spend time learning the in and outs of every character and their punish-ability, don't bother playing her. I'd honestly place her lower on a tier list.
I'd like to add: if you truly want to learn her well, you shouldn't mind losing often to even lesser-skilled players early on (from hanging back and learning the match-up / opponent). To use her well, you have to adapt quickly, be incredibly observant, and possess quick reactions. True for all characters but even more so for Hilde.

What a great challenge.

This is quite a long post. I apologize in advance as well xD

@The OtherJN: Nice post. I read it all. Yeah, Maxi and Natsu are bitches to fight against. To open people up with Hilde poke them with 1K, 3K, 66K, and throws. 1KK is safe low and a built in mixup as it forces your enemy to guess when to poke out. If you want to be dirty do 1K, then 66K. Free stun if your enemy guesses wrong.

I quickly want to mention that I was wrong when I said Hilde was a turtle; she really doesn't have the quick "reversal type" or "punish type" moves a defensive character should have (think Pyrrha Omega's A+B, 4K, stab etc). I find that her only real GTFO move is 44B as it's one of her fastest lows and can used to reset her ideal position. Hilde shines as a mid range zoner and keep away character: if this game were Street Fighter, she would be the projectile character. This is apparent in her ability to kill movement and punish people from across the screen with CE's and charges.

In all honesty, I think Hilde is the most underrated character in the game, and I would definitely not be surprised if people have a pocket Hilde at Evo to counter matchups such as NM, Sieg, Asta, Yoshi, and Cervy. (I know Hawkeye has been playing as her lately...).

After Evo, I'm gonna be finishing my guide on Hilde's counters, punishes and option selects. So stay tuned for more walls of text lol.

tl;dr: 22B

Not turtler but zoner?
Hmm, seems like I need some more Hilde practice then. Wonder if I come to that same conclusion after spending more time with her in the game.

By the way, was there any Hilde player at EVO? I was switching between SCV and SSF4 so I might have missed someone who used Hilde.

Is there anywhere that all types of useful information on Hilde is compiled here?

LP - working on some stuff now.
JN - No, unfortunately not. Neither Hawkeye or I made it on stream (or out of pools actually), but he mentioned to me that he was planning to use her as a last resort and as a sub character to his Natsu. His Hilde is a beast though, I really wish I recorded some of the casuals. His setups to CE were perfect, never missed a single one.

Ok EVO is over, so as promised, incoming info.

Hilde's C2B relaunch and her combos in general are very hit-box specific. One thing that almost no one realises is that your hitbox in the air changes depending on if you're face up, face down, feet towards or feet away. Each state has a different hitbox and for each character this hitbox is different. You can perform some air combos far easier if the opponent is in the optimum state. Now I don't actually know which hit box is best for this stuff but I do know that in general you want to launch them when their back is turned, as this usually gives the best aerial hit box to follow upon because it is much wider and closer to you than otherwise.

Case and point, try CH 6AKB 3B BE when the opponent is facing you, and then try it when they are back turned (easy way to BT is to A+G BE on open field)
There are 4 characters this won't work on, but it will work on the rest.
A+GE W! 6AKB 3BE works on everyone but females and the 3 in the bottom left corner.
This means that against like 65% of the cast, you can do something like:
A+GE W! 6AKB 3BE C1A W! [A+B] C2B x 3 C3A for 160ish damage.

more when I wake up.

To give Hilde a decent horizontal mid while moving forward, run then tap 2 and hit either A or K (662a/k). She'll do 22A or 22K depending on what you pressed. Good for beating Pyrrha's pesky 22K and pretty much anything else that TC's and TS's.

A lot of good people starting to take interest in hilda. I need to keep my mouth shut. I am going be pissed if in the next possible patch they take out some of the things hilda can do. Its getting old when they change her every patch. I just got used to using her in this version. PLEASE namco don't patch hilda.

Viola has infinite ? kappa

I recorded the BT K and then as nightmare was trying to air control out.

Good, god! That's amazing, I only can do it like 3 times, but only when I'm fighting Astaroth.
Just by doing the regular C2B loop. I just picked Hilde up like a 3 weeks ago, I really want to get beast with her. ahha
Trying my best. This thread has some useful stuff, had no idea... I'm such a noob.

Back