Intro of Soul Edge might be the most incredible thing ever made by mankind

FluffyQuack

[14] Master
I mean, just look at that! It's such a wonderful mix of cheese, epicness, and absurdity. On one side, it actually features a lot of really cool cinematography: Siegfried looking over a castle as it's under siege, Siegfried riding away as the castle crumbles down, camera following an eagle as it swoops down towards the river, Mitsurugi fighting with the sunset as backdrop, and Taki crashing through a roof of a burning building to fight a demon.

And on the other side, it's so absurd in such an endearing way. That catchy but cheesy pop song, Voldo crashing a party on a ship by hanging through the hold upside down, Hephaestus appearing before Sophitia as she's bathing in the nude, Taki jumping away as a mansion literally explodes, and Taki striking a cool pose every single time we see her.

There's not really much which makes sense in the intro, but the combination of it all results in probably the most incredible intro I've ever seen for a game.

I doubt it will happen, but I'd love to see a similar over-the-top intro cinematic for SC6.

My favorite all time intros are Tekken 3 and 2. Soul Edge come right after and its indeed epic.

One aspect i love about intros is that it shows the characters in a state you won't see them in game. For example Sophitia taking a shower into that Greek river or something, or Sieg riding a horse, now that's awesome cause you get to see characters doing things that they would do in their real life, things you would never obviously see when you play VS mode for example, it make it feel like a whole and coherent universe.

For example if in the intro they put Ivy fighting with her default in game costume, i mean... Okay. But i'm gonna see this in game anyway so what's the point? lol. What about Ivy in her house with her home outfit in a Alchemist lab, like this? , now that would be something i guess, that's narrative, and shows the character in some areas you wouldn't see her and that's the point of Story mode, Intros and other kind of non-gameplay elements of a videogame. That's one aspect that made SC4 intro so generic, boring and ultra forgettable if you ask me. And one of the reason MK story modes are praised nowadays i think as well.

Last edited:
Funny, how nowadays(SCVI) Siegfried(Nightmare) rides on a horse in-game(Critical Edge), i wonder if they actually got this idea from the Soul Edge intro?
Or rather from Diablo III Crusader class or somewhere else entirely?
And yes, it's da best intro!
No comparison to the incredibly lame SCV sword size contest intro :/

Last edited:
It's nostalgic and cool, and for it's time it was great, however I prefer 2's and especially 3's intros better, they look cooler and they tell a better story of a better roster of characters.

It's very cheesy but it fits in well for its era and theres always some great cinematography. I especially liked Voldo just crashing in and Li Long getting in a bar fight, and then Siegfried just running from collapsing towers. And then Cervantes at the end where the background literally collapses behind his ship always gave a destructive look to it.

And then of course Seong Mi-na, Sophitia and briefly Taki all pose beautifully for the camera. XD

Yeah a lot of people say 2 has the best one but I think this is the best.
I hope VI can at least try to make this type of intro instead of the kind they made for V(though I do like that one for certain reasons).

Back