Is SC2 much better than 4?or am i the olny one who thinks so?

Hi everyone.

I want to ask about those SC2 glitches mentioned here. I know this is so old, so sorry if it's annoying, but I haven't played for years and didn't know about them. I only just started playing SC2 again recently, needed to sell the PS3 and SC4, so all I have is the PS2 now.

The ones I always read about are g step and 2g. I only know the basic idea, but not how to really do them or what they should look like.

G step seems pretty easy to get. It's to press G during a sidestep right? But does it cancel animation or just let you block faster? When I attempt it it doesn't look unusual, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. But it does seem like full spinning attacks are easier to block this way.

2g I have no idea. I can never find an explanation to what it looks like or the timing. Just down+G right? But when exactly after the GI? I just can't make it happen.

Sorry for these scrub questions. Are there any videos of these in action?

Thanks.

Soul Calibur II is enjoyable because of the huge moveset, general safety of the game and glitches* which allows for greater freedom in playing your character. Remove Step G, remove G2, remove JFC and it'll be fine. Maybe some minor rebalances too.
That said, Soul Calibur III and IV is not what Soul Calibur II would be if its fixed. They took a new direction in III and continued in that direction in IV.

*Jumping/Crouching FMD, SCCs (this may not be a glitch but still), Maxi Loops, Taki's PO Cancels...

Personally, I prefer II > IV > I > III in that order. As for the community, I know most of the old school players dislike III and IV and have recently gathered again since the arcade operator brought back II.

devilman:
2G/G2 is hard to notice, basically, if you see someone get GId and still be able to block a fast attack (i.e. X's A), that's 2G/G2 in action. As for the timing, I forgot, sorry.

I agree with things others here said.

SCII was cool because of awesome moves, safeness, damage-output of combos and speed. Imo the engine was lame though... (walls, but no wall combos, of the ground guard impact, 2G....)

My order still remains: SC(DC)>>SCII>>SCIV>>SCIII.

Things would be different for SCIII maybe if i had ever played the "real" SCIII version... The arcade version. Damn, i wish they would bring it to the consoles as a DLC. :/

You know, I really don't understand why so many people prefer SC2 to SC3. 3 had VC, glitches, and character imbalances. The glitches weren't all that common, so those didn't bother me much. Solution for VC? simply don't do it, solved. As much as people rag on the balance of 3, I honestly think that 4 was WORSE in the balance department (Hilde, Amy). Also think about the crappier characters in 4. Why did MINA go from average ish in 3 to crap in 4? Why wasn't rock improved more? Why was IVY buffed so much if she was already above average? And WTF is up with ALGOL?

Okay now let's talk about SC2. Too many moves were safe that shouldn't have been safe. Step guard could just be banned and that would solve that, except that is seems way too easy and it would happen on accident often enough to be annoying. In general, moves in 2 took off too much damage, and combined with the very high game speed of 2, half or even 2/3 lifer combos were relatively easy with certain chars. So I would consider the mechanics of SC2 to be considerably WORSE than 3 or 4. Despite 3 and 4 being less balanced, the mechanics of those 2 are IMO mountains ahead of 2. 3 gave us create a character, great single player modes (COTS), the best boss ever (night terror) heck even abyss was cool. 3 also gave us 4 new characters that eventually became permanent in the series (setsuka, ZAS, Tira, Amy). 3 delivered Sieg and NM as 2 clearly distinct characters with very different move lists which also became permanent changes. 3 brought back hwang, Li Long. 3 had TONS of unlockables. 3 had more characters to chose from than any in the series, granted many of the bonus characters were either REALLY good or REALLY bad, but still. The AI in 3 was BS to say the least, but at least it was challenging, if you didn't use Anti-AI moves like strife's A+B or 44B. What I'm getting at here is that balance is not the only thing that matters.

Despite all of the reasons I mentioned why I like 3, I still think 4 is WAY better than 3. Why? massively improved game play. I'm not going to get into the specifics of why 4 is mechanically more sound than 3, but I don't think I'll run into much argument on that one. And despite 4 being unbalanced, it's still by far the best. It's really kind of a no brainer; every game has gotten progressively better every time. As much as people (and me at first too) hated the slower pace of 4, I think they slowed it down so CF would be harder to achieve.

The order? SC1<SC2<SC3<SC4. Saying that 2 or 1 is the best is not giving nearly enough appreciation for what the later games brought to the table. I mean CMON CF is one of the best things that every happened to the game. Now all of a sudden we don't have insane turtle fests like we did in 2 and 3. CF, and the possibility of online (even though it sucks), has trumped everything else and more than made up for what 4 lacked.

Wow, I had WAY too much to say on this topic. sorry for the long read guys.

I like 2 better because you don't have to Make a New costume to Select a weapon You want >.>... I only like Soul Calibur 4 because it Has Setsuka and It has a lot of Ways to Make more Colors for your Characters and it Has online Play.

There's something cool about all the games. 2 was more fun to play and hosted a large scale of different modes( team battle=awesome matches! )
3 had the best looking stages i've ever seen in any fighting game. (what happened in 4? 4 has the worst stages out of the series!) 3 also introduced character creation and an interestin choice of fighting styles that included ones that main characters didn't have. (WTH SC4! Where'd that go!) I remember when the museum feature had so much stuff i would spend hours watching the weapon expeditions and watch the computers go at it. (nothing better than watching characters created by you and a friend fight to settle a dispute. thanks SC3.) Soul calibur 4 was more focused on gameplay and looks than anything else. I felt like there was so much missing. The museum in 4 is a joke! Nothing worth looking at except to see how many honors you have and how to get the next one. I wish they would have added the costumns from SCBD to SC4. That would have been cool. but I did like how in depth the character creation was. Although I admit that it was weird when I put my female custom Talim or Amy and see that they tower over most of the main fighters. especially, against the main talim and amy.

All in all. soul calibur 2 was a favorite. 3 looked good, stage-wise. 4 had some really good indepth gameplay.

I definitely believe SC2 was much better than IV... There was something great about playing the game in the arcade community before console release. We got to watch the game develop throughout the arcades before it was rushed to the console. I know PS3/XBOX/etc have online patches to fix the game, but playing online does not match the joy found in the arcade.
Also, I liked the army/campaign mode for the solo play in the arcade.

I thought that SCII had a better single player experience like most people have commented here before. I think SCIV is kind of bland, I don't really know how to describe it but it feels unfinished to me... I also hate how they changed Ivy's moveset in SCIII, they should have left it the way it was in SCII but just added the additional stances in IV like coiled and whip :)

I also hate how they changed Ivy's moveset in SCIII, they should have left it the way it was in SCII but just added the additional stances in...
THIS! Half of the cast had a T4 Jin moment. Why recreate a character ppl have grown to love? For a sequel you work with what you have and embellish on that. I mean imagine Ryu without his Hadouken or Shoryuken.

Really, I am surprised that this was a discussion; SC2 is far superior to SC3/4. No more soul charge, GB is crap (negative on block in some cases) and lack of cancels. What happened to all of our mind games and mixups? SC4 just feels rushed or unfinished. Unfortunately, it looks like SC5 is heading in the same direction as well.

Riddle me this. If SC2 is so far superior, how come no one wants to leave the house to play it? There's people willing to haul cabinets to a tournament for Super Turbo, but nobody can bust out a slim PS2 to play SC2? Where you players at? Let me see them mixups, then watch you get bodied in tournament.

I have to say, there was a certain "magic" to SC2 that 3 or 4 didn't have. I started on SC2, with my friends introducing me to it. We would have like 15 people in the house, all really good soul calibur players. We would play all bloody day, and never get bored. People would trash talk one another because their cheap etc., and sometimes the arguments would result in violence. There were countless, "fuck you, asshole" comments going back and forth. Looking back on it (that was some years ago), I remember the characters being pretty damn balanced, way more balanced than 3 or 4.

Those were the days. And then something happened. SC3 came out, and everyone switched over. Soon after that, the many friends that I had in SC2 poofed out of my life. WHY? because we all mutually agreed over a few weeks (It didn't take long) that SC3 was completely unbalanced and no fun competitively. It basically came down to 90% of us ended up using only SOPHITIA, because of her gay-ass 11AA, or WR A+B, both being unblockable and both WAY TOO FAST for an unblockable.

Long story short, the group collectively stopped playing SC, while I kept playing my broken SC3.

And then when SC4 came out, I thought that I could revive SC amongst my friends who had stopped shortly after the release of 3. Much to my surprise, Namco did not give us a better, more balanced game. While the mechanics in general were better, and I loved the SOUL GAUGE concept, it wasn't long before someone discovered HILDE's doom combo from a youtube video. Within 5 days, EVERYONE in the group was using HILDE. S
I have to say, there was a certain "magic" to SC2 that 3 or 4 didn't have. I started on SC2, with my friends introducing me to it. We would have like 15 people in the house, all really good soul calibur players. We would play all bloody day, and never get bored. People would trash talk one another because their cheap etc., and sometimes the arguments would result in violence. There were countless, "fuck you, asshole" comments going back and forth. Looking back on it (that was some years ago), I remember the characters being pretty damn balanced, way more balanced than 3 or 4.

Those were the days. And then something happened. SC3 came out, and everyone switched over. Soon after that, the many friends that I had in SC2 poofed out of my life. WHY? because we all mutually agreed over a few weeks (It didn't take long) that SC3 was completely unbalanced and no fun competitively. It basically came down to 90% of us ended up using only SOPHITIA, because of her gay-ass 11AA, or WR A+B, both being unblockable and both WAY TOO FAST for an unblockable.

Long story short, the group collectively stopped playing SC, while I kept playing my broken SC3.

And then when SC4 came out, I thought that I could revive SC amongst my friends who had stopped shortly after the release of 3. Much to my surprise, Namco did not give us a better, more balanced game. While the mechanics in general were better, and I loved the SOUL GAUGE concept, it wasn't long before someone discovered HILDE's doom combo from a youtube video. Within 5 days, EVERYONE in the group was using HILDE. Sounds like the past just repeated itself huh? Wait a minute namco, I thought 4 was supposed to be more balanced. WTF were they thinking with HILDE?

This is how I rate the game in terms of balance SC2>SC3>SC4.

Trying to make SC more balanced, they ironically created the most unbalanced fighting game to date. Good going Namco, looks like you really put a lot into this, NOT.

And WTF is up with the speed of 4? Why did they think slowing the game down was needed? I'm curious about the logic behind that one. Apparently they wanted everyone do be able to block on reaction. Personally, the guessing game made it more fun for me.

I would rather Namco not even bother making SC5, if there just going to be lazy like they did with 4, then 5 is gonna be even worse than 4. They should just leave it alone at this point, I don't think they have what it takes any longer (team soul) to make good, balanced fighting game anymore. What they need is dedication to building the best fighting game ever, and dedication is exactly what they lack as shown in SC4.

ounds like the past just repeated itself huh? Wait a minute namco, I thought 4 was supposed to be more balanced. WTF were they thinking with HILDE?

This is how I rate the game in terms of balance SC2>SC3>SC4.

Trying to make SC more balanced, they ironically created the most unbalanced fighting game to date. Good going Namco, looks like you really put a lot into this, NOT.

And WTF is up with the speed of 4? Why did they think slowing the game down was needed? I'm curious about the logic behind that one. Apparently they wanted everyone do be able to block on reaction. Personally, the guessing game made it more fun for me.

I would rather Namco not even bother making SC5, if there just going to be lazy like they did with 4, then 5 is gonna be even worse than 4. They should just leave it alone at this point, I don't think they have what it takes any longer (team soul) to make good, balanced fighting game anymore. What they need is dedication to building the best fighting game ever, and dedication is exactly what they lack as shown in SC4.

Actually Marvel vs Capcom 2 is the most unbalanced game to date. I do agree that they need to step back and look at SC1 - SC4 and think about what they NEED to do for SC5 and not sell out to supers moves, Ex moves, and comeback mechanics.

It certainly depends in which angle you look at it. There's the nostalgic angle, the technical angle and the overral casual experience angle.

What's nostalgia angle? The way people look at their first console, first kiss, or in this case first SC experience. In this angle, it's clearly going to be better. Not much to say here.

In the technical angle, I'm gonna have to go for SC4. Say whatever you want about Hilde, Amy, Algol, Ivy, or whoever you want to throw sh*t at. The game movesets have evolved, the GI, counter and punishing mechanics have evolved, the stances have deepened, and the gameplay experience competitive/strategy wise has obviously matured.

But now, if we look at the gaming experience each game offers as a whole, and SCIV doesn't stand a chance against SCII. The gaming modes, the long time it takes to unlock everything, edge master, and local multiplayer experience, this game is a total masterpiece. Pop up SCIV in a party and it won't last more than an two hours, and that's being optimistic. Pop out SCII and pwople will enjoy it more. It's the SCII magic, it can't be explained with words. Uh, and it has Hwang, Berserker, Link, and Cassandra debuted. SUCK IT B*TCHES!!!!!! Who debuted in SCIV? Two bitches everyone complains about and a cheap guy with wings. Who debuted in SCII? Twice as many characters, and out of those four are fan favorites. The creative power put to it was much greater.

Where are SCII players you say? Uh... Playing SCIV? What are people going to play in a tournament? Street Fighter III or Super Street Fighter IV? Halo 2 or reach? Unless counted exceptions, It will always be the newest game in the series to be played the most competitively. Besides, there's no online in SCII (and no AMAZING LAG to complain about LOL).

I like the SCII speed. SCIV is too slow. I'm too much of a noob to actually comment on balanced mechanics, although I was disappointed in reduced movesets in SCIV.

Looks like SCV is going back to SCII speeds so it looks to be the best out of the series if they pull off better balance (no Hilde ringout madness) and stop with the stupid meter madness. SC isn't SF and there is a better solution to increasing benefits for the attacker than using combo specials with cutscenes.

Soul Calibur is a great series in itself. I do believe that the developers are on the way to ruining the uniqueness of the game in the upcoming iteration if they can't devise game mechanics that may be only useable by this game.

SC2 was amazing simply because of the giant leap up from SC1. it was faster, smoother, prettier...better in every way. people remember that about it because it really was an awe-inspiring upgrade from SC1.

in my opinion 3 was an improvement, AE still another improvement, and 4 yet another. at the end of the day i think sc3AE is my favorite overall. i think people gravitate to SC2 because of how much better it WAS than SC1, not because of how much better it IS overall. most people on the "omg sc2 was amazing" bandwagon don't even know why they feel that way and cite glitches and balance issues in later games. these people were not playing sc2 competitively for the most part and don't know that it had as many glitches and balance issues as all the others.

sc2 is the best in that it brought the series forward more than any other one. clinging to it as still the best as in most fun to play, most balanced, most deep or whatever is kind of childish and silly though if you ask me. but hey...we all have opinions.

It'll always be my favorite. I loved the properties of the 8wr in the game, also that just about every move in the game in cancelable. It was a rush down friendly game, with tons of mix up.

A high level PO cancelling Taki is perhaps one of the most fun rush down characters I've ever played in any game, right next to MvC2 Mags. So much pressure. The game was also fairly balanced, many tourneys saw different characters at the top. That always makes for a fun game with lots of variety.

Well as you can see from my signature, I didn't really give SC3 a chance. Now that Iv got alot of free time, I can use Ivy now because one of my friends made me learn SC4 Ivy's moveset to shut me up about the whole moveset change LOL. Anyway, I know how to use Soul Calibur 3 Ivy but she is still quite boring to use. My friend disagrees with me since he said that Ivy was 'limited' in SC2 and that you could have more control over her 'Whip' state.

I think I prefer Ivy's SC4 moveset to III but again thats my opinion, but overall I think this for her movesets ofer the years - SC II, IV, III, I

But the reason why Soul Calibur 2 was my favorite was because I use to play Soul Blade back on the PS One, and I use to tink to myself 'Why hasn't Namco made another Soul Blade?' I was 9 years old at the time and I remember looking at a Playstation 2 magazine my dad bought me and it had a picture of Voldo on the front.
I couldn't beleive it! because back then I didn't know that 'Soul Calibur' existed since the Dreamcast came out when I was 5 years old >_>

I always remeber seeing Ivy for the first time, I loved her whip weapon because it was so unique and her costumes were cool (I prefered her P2 blue Edwardian costume though)

And I was like 'OMG! :DDD' when it came out because it got released on my Birthday! (September 26th) LOL it was like this game was destined for me to play and like forever...

I use to love her voice actor too, It was so fitting for her character and what an actual English London accent wound be. But then when III came out... I HATED IT SOO MUCH! since it was that stupid Sterotypical 'Posh (Iv got lots of money and have tea and scones everyday, where we all live in big manor houses and wear Top hats) voice'

It kind of offended me since I live in Manchester, and when I went to the US alot of people didn't know that there were more accents in the UK than just the sterotype one... since people who havn't been to the UK, they just think of the 'English Sterotype' (in the highlighted yellow text)

Finally Yes I eat crumpits... HAPPY NOW!? ;(

Back