Is this game worth buying a PSP for?

That's all I ever needed it to be. New characters, modes, moves and balance considerations are just gravy.

Thanks for all of your replies. If I am reading this correctly, I can play this game on my television through the PSP 3000. My guess is the graphics won't be as sharp as the resolution is being stretched from the intended format, but we'll see. ....and that makes my decision easier. I'm buying a PSP in order to play SCBD. I'm sure I'll get other games in time if there are exclusives.

image175x1313.jpg

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP/Accessories/SCPH-98550

Now with video out and the component AV cable, you can play your lighter, slimmer PSP® system on any TV. Simply plug your PSP into your TV or monitor with the correct cable, and you'll be enjoying all of the game, movie or video thrills of your PSP's LCD screen on the big screen!

5 input connections
Play games, videos, photos, music on TV
HDTV compatible; requires progessive scan to play games on TV

That cable also works with the PSP-2000, which you should be able to find used for cheap. The differences between the PSP-2000 and the 3000 are generally small and cosmetic. You pretty much have to look at them side-by-side to see the difference.

I should tell you about some caveats, though.

Short version:
Every PSP game I have displays on TV at a much smaller size than the screen. There are thick black letterbox bars on all sides. I have a nice TV, and none of the HD zoom settings alleviate this satisfactorily.

Long version:
The screen resolution for a PSP game on your TV is defined by the developer, and unless they program the game for variable resolution, the PSP default is to display the game pixels at a 1:1 ratio. No stretching. The only reason I think the PSP could handle variable resolution is because the system dashboard displays at full screen.

There's also a minor hassle in displaying to the TV at all. It won't display in your hand and on the TV at the same time, and enabling output to the TV is not intuitive. Booting the system up straight to a disc is inadvisable, and going from standby to TV output is impossible, because TV output is enabled manually from an obscure spot in the dashboard, you can't access the dashboard while a game is running, and TV output gets automatically disabled as soon as you power the system down or put it into standby. Workable, but sort of a hassle. Seems excessive.

Wow. Thanks for the info. ...much appreciated. I'll get the PSP either way for two reasons.
1: I'm a frickin SC nut and the two new characters and story line NEED TO BE SEEN :-)
2. I travel a lot and typically took a book to airports. I can bring the PSP also.

I will see how it goes playing on the tele, but from what you are saying, I'm better off just playing on the handheld. Again, thanks much :)

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not worth it. It just isn't as easy to set up as it should be. Rereading, I may have given the impression that it looks like a tiny PSP up on your screen. It's not like that. It's more like a Super Game Boy or a Game Boy Player.

http://www.superufo.com/pp/news_content.asp?news_id=89

Hey...new here, but I just wanted to mention some key differences between the PSP-2000 and the PSP-3000 when it comes to TV output...
The PSP-2000 can only output PSP games to progressive scan compatible ED/HDTVs through 480P. Everything else on it works fine through any TV, though, including PS1 games.
The PSP-3000 can output games to any kind of TV, be it standard definition interlaced or progressive scan.
The PSP-3000 also has a new built-in screen with more vibrant colors, and faster response time (which gets rid of the blurry look that you sometimes get when stuff moves too fast).

Both still display in a little box in the middle of the screen, though, like Phil already mentioned.

Oh, also, I believe holding the screen brightness button for bit while a video cable is connected switches the picture between the PSP and the TV. I've read that before, though I don't actually have a video cable at the moment to try it with.

Wow. Thanks for all the info. I'm glad I capriciously sprang for the 3000. Salespeople are stupid. I'll check out that button trick later this evening, thanks.

Hah. Yeah, you're welcome. I spent months reading up on all of the PSP's while I was saving up some money to get one, so I learned all of the little differences between each version of the system. If anyone has anymore questions about PSP's, I'd be more than glad to answer them for you.
Oh, also...for those of you considering buying a PSP, it's highly recommend to buy a screen protector for it, and a protective case, too...scratching the screen is pretty easy to do. For cases, I'd recommend the Logitech PlayGear Pocket case (which I own, and it's damn good), and I've heard that the official Sony PSP Traveler Case is pretty good, too. Both are made from poly-carbonate materials, so they're super strong (some say they could even take a 9mm bullet!). I hope this info was helpful.

As for the game...I'm currently debating whether I should go ahead and pre-order it (you get a free artbook and soundtrack CD with pre-orders at EBGames/GameStop), or save up to buy a new harddrive for my laptop, since the one on that won't boot-up. Either way, I'd still have a computer to use...it's just that my laptop was so many times better than my desktop, which is why it's so hard to make a decision.

Oh, also, I believe holding the screen brightness button for bit while a video cable is connected switches the picture between the PSP and the TV. I've read that before, though I don't actually have a video cable at the moment to try it with.

I'll confirm this works, I use it all the time for Monster Hunter. Hold the button down for ~3 seconds and it switches outputs.

And since you brought up PSP accessories, I'd advise anyone who gets a PSP to not get what I did, Nyko's PSP Charger Grip. I saw it for $15 and as a comfortable grip + battery life extention combo I thought I was getting a good investment, but it actually ended up breaking within a week. The PSP's only held in by four little arms, two of which broke within days. It doesn't help that they made the middle of the unit "collapseable" for storage - while they save maybe one whole inch horizontally, the arms that hold the system in still protrude out too akwardly to be stored easily. That collapseable back really only functioned to give me a sense that I was holding a broken PSP case, as it would slide around in my hand at will.

I still kept the right side of it after it broke though. The whole of it's battery unit is inside the right handle, so it can still function as an akwardly-shaped external power source dangling under my hand on long car trips.

I'm definitely going to get one just for BD. My only gripe is that its going to be painful playing it. Man, I hate playing pads.

no the console version is fine with me the psp game is just a lesser version with sum new characters and features. If I had a choice to play the ps3 or psp version id pick ps3 ofc. Only reason i think you'd want it is to game on the go or w/e. But the main reason i go out is to take a break and not game in the first place -_-

Yeah, I went to a couple EBGames/GameStops here and asked them about it, they said there was nothing in their computers about it. So I think it's a U.S. only thing.

Back