Ivy Combos & Tech Traps discussion

Brokey brokey broke CE trap.

just looking a little further on that little trick I've been using where the CE hits when the opponent is 'visually' lying down. It's gotten me quite a bit of online hate mail.

1K, CE works at close range anywhere where the opponant's push back is hindered to their back or back-left. If they're hindered to their back-left or in a corner it also works at all ranges of 1K.

the CE will connect if:
The opponent buffers any get up command, Attack or Ukemi.

CE will miss if:
The opponent inputs nothing, buffers a left or right roll, or buffers a get up command and then immediately buffers duck.

The odd bit is it all happens when the opponent is still lying down and the (!) is right by Ivy's foot, so it looks like a huge glitch. It must be something like hitting on the first couple of frames the opponent is technically standing, but still visually it looks dire.
yeah ring was telling about if you are holding X at the beginning of an animation eg ukemi, roll up or even mid fall out of a wall splat ce will catch

Is anyone else having trouble doing FC 1B (turn around) 6B8? In SCIV you could either do B or K to keep the opponent in the air then catch them with an ivy lick from there. I'm figuring it's possible as the computer's definitely done it to me. Any tips? I'm wondering if there's a good way to turn after the FC 1B or if there's an input i'm missing. My turn around seems too slow so i've just resolved to the 2B+K for at least some extra damage.

Is anyone else having trouble doing FC 1B (turn around) 6B8? In SCIV you could either do B or K to keep the opponent in the air then catch them with an ivy lick from there. I'm figuring it's possible as the computer's definitely done it to me. Any tips? I'm wondering if there's a good way to turn after the FC 1B or if there's an input i'm missing. My turn around seems too slow so i've just resolved to the 2B+K for at least some extra damage.

Wait until your opponent crosses between the 12-1:00 direction before pressing G. That helps for me.

I found a pretty legit tech trap that I don't think anyone has mentioned.

Counter hit 4A, 6 (or very slight pause), 1K, 9B for about 70 damage if they tech any direction.
If they do not tech, they cannot block the 1K, and it combos for 45 damage

Counter hit 4A, 6, bK combos for 60 damage, so you are risking losing 15 damage for gaining 10. HOWEVER, this combo is very inconsistent and somewhat character specific. So the combo is a risk itself. Counter hit 4A only does about 30 damage on its own.

Another interesting find:

Against certain characters, 3B 6B8 will consistently combo if the opponent wakes up with 2G (crouch) after certain attacks. These three attacks are bK, 6B8 AT, and CS.

For example, against Apat, Asta, Cervy, and NM 3B 6B8 will combo on a crouch wakeup after all three of these attacks.

However, against Pat, Natsu, and several others, one or two of the three attacks may be followed by this combo on a crouch wake up, but they are different per character.

Against Leixia and Viola (and maybe some others), none of the three will lead to this combo.

3A+B full charge, 6B8 BE (delayed so max damage), w! 7B+K, 6B8 BE, w!, 2B+K, 2B+K 209 dmg.

3A+B full charge, 6B8 BE (delayed so max damage), w! 7B+K, 6B8 BE, w!, 66B BE, 6B8 222 dmg.

:3::(K): :2::A+B:

Even though this makes :@::A+B: 15 frames the pushback :3::K: gives is big enough to not be punished by a lot of moves.

Post 1B+K, 88_22BB.B.B.B will tech trap in the direction you step (and also back and forward I think) for a little over 100dmg.

Brokey brokey broke CE trap.

just looking a little further on that little trick I've been using where the CE hits when the opponent is 'visually' lying down. It's gotten me quite a bit of online hate mail.

1K, CE works at close range anywhere where the opponant's push back is hindered to their back or back-left. If they're hindered to their back-left or in a corner it also works at all ranges of 1K.

the CE will connect if:
The opponent buffers any get up command, Attack or Ukemi.

CE will miss if:
The opponent inputs nothing, buffers a left or right roll, or buffers a get up command and then immediately buffers duck.

The odd bit is it all happens when the opponent is still lying down and the (!) is right by Ivy's foot, so it looks like a huge glitch. It must be something like hitting on the first couple of frames the opponent is technically standing, but still visually it looks dire.
Missed this earlier. Like I said when Ring found it, its the same kind of trap that was found with Astaroth a while beforehand. It turns out that it isn't really all that useful because you can duck the CE even AFTER the animation starts if the opponent tries to do it off the ground like this. The CE is still unduckable during the animation if used the normal way, its just when this glitch is used that a person can duck it like this and therefore is useless against anyone who knows about it. Great for pissing off scrubs in the Colosseum though.

2_3 B+K, 3A+B,B tech traps in all directions.
CH 4K, 3A+B, B (slightly charged/timing really stict) tech-traps also in every direction.
44B+K_3A+B, 3A+B,B (slightly charged/timing really stict) tech-traps in every direction, too.
I'm sure everbody knows this already, but 22B BE, BT 2B+K tech-treps in every direction except for one (either left or right; not sure though ^^'); just wanted to share this idea: The remaining techable direction can be tech-traped with BT 2A. I usually buffer CS during the BE animation, do BT 2A and hit B+G.Can be mixed up with CE/A+G/SS or a WR/RCC mid.

Wall combos with 3B start-up:
3B w!, 2A+B, 6B8
3B w!, 2A+B, 6B8 BE, 7B+K, 6B8
3B w! 2A+B, 6B8 BE, 66B BE, 6B8
3B w! 2A+B, 6B8 BE, 3B+K, 3B+K

Some other stuff I randomly found out
44 (A+B) w!, bK
CH 4K w!, bK
66K w!, 2A+B...

Edit: sry, my bad ^^'. BT 2B+K only catches back tech after 22B BE

2_3 B+K, 3A+B,B tech traps in all directions.

I like your find SoULA55A1N 2_3 B+K,B was the only one i tested it worked for all directions expect for left tech I was 1P comp on 2p. Left would catch sometimes but no where near as consistent as the other directions.

I found a pretty legit tech trap that I don't think anyone has mentioned.

Counter hit 4A, 6 (or very slight pause), 1K, 9B for about 70 damage if they tech any direction.
If they do not tech, they cannot block the 1K, and it combos for 45 damage

Counter hit 4A, 6, bK combos for 60 damage, so you are risking losing 15 damage for gaining 10. HOWEVER, this combo is very inconsistent and somewhat character specific. So the combo is a risk itself. Counter hit 4A only does about 30 damage on its own.

There is a certain range that's very easy to tell whether bK will combo or not. Once you know that, then you can distinguish whether to go for bK or 1K (assuming all you want is damage).

It's not too hard to imagine that (B) would combo too however. What's the damage on that? I'll investigate myself later when I get home, but if anyone already knows...

Update: (B) is a bad idea, they can tech the second hit. CH 4A - 1B+K is also very consistent if you're not sure BK will hit for just 3 less damage.

I like your find SoULA55A1N 2_3 B+K,B was the only one i tested it worked for all directions expect for left tech I was 1P comp on 2p. Left would catch sometimes but no where near as consistent as the other directions.

It seems character specific; some chars get tech-traped more consitently by 3A+B,B.
CH 2A+B, 3A+B,B (slightly charged) works on every direction except for the right side.

Other combos randomly found out:
3B on a BT opponent which causes w! gives a guaranteed CS for 140 dmg, which can't be breaked. If your standing at the opponents side, 3B also gives a w! with higher "altitude", this w! guarantees a CE.

3B -> 6b8. I think I've figured out the mechanics of this. Again, some of this will already be know to some of you, but I figured to post about it anyway.

If this move didn't tech step, then it should hit every single time when the opp is facing forward. Since the move tech steps to the right, then stepping slightly to the left -> 3B will make this consistent. A lot of people know this already.

BUT, if you hit someone that was on your immediate right, NH 3B-6b8 will work as well. Again, it plays angles -- as long as 3B hit someone straight on, 6b8 will connect. If you 3B against someone who was at your right, then if 3B hit, it would be a straight on shot.

Moral of the story, learn how to confirm not only the CH, but the angle 3B hit as well. It's not as important, but it'll still help your game overall.

Back